General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Entered vin, No number available?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
That sucks. Fortunately we have 8 HD dealers in the Metro area. The furthest is an hour from me.
wonder how any you'll have in a year or twos time.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:52 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,272 Likes on 708 Posts

Yeah,and the A/C on my model T Ford never went out either!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,664 Likes on 3,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
My salesman called me a couple days ago and told me there was a recall on all affected Touring models. I went to the HD website and entered my VIN, sure enough. No work for me till the 7th of November, I'll take it in this week and avoid the rush.
I read in another thread that the required parts to perform the repair won't be available until Nov. 5th

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (10-27-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

kinda like the dodge airbag recall a few years ago

Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

I had that problem happen n to me twice. Once I had to tow my eGlide in. The mechanic was unable to find where the fluid loss was coming from. Now we know.

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (10-27-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I called the nearest stealership to me - waited on hold for service a very long time before calling back, waiting again for a long time and eventually getting a very nice/polite service writer. When queried about the recall, he said it only came out yesterday. When I shared with him that there was public release of the recall six days ago - he was unaware. In any event, he said they don't even have the part(s) as yet to do the recall. He was very nice and apologized for the long wait to get to my call explaining that they were short-handed.

H-D MoCo keeps going like they're going "short-handed" will be an understatement ... at least in the United States.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
It's about that around here out to 100mi. and few of those I wouldn't take a lawnmower too. Killer for me dropping it off and doing the get a ride dance, restricts me to 3 places where I can Uber or catch the train and they are all mobbed.
Regardless of the dealership I am convinced the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

Example: (Basically Verbatim)

My Salesman called me this past Friday which was the 19th and told me about the recall which affects my bike. I just called the service department at the same dealer and asked the manager when I could schedule to have it done.

Her reply, "We are gonna do this recall on bikes as they come in for service, when is the next service due on your bike?"

Me, "I do my own service but am planning on bringing it in for the 20k interval."

Her, "We are ordering these parts as the bikes come in."

Me, "So I have to bring the bike in for service, you order the parts and wait for them to come in and then install them on my bike which puts my bike in the shop for a couple of weeks?"

Her, "Well, you can bring the bike by, we write it up, order the parts which actually come in from Harley with your name on it and then we call you and schedule to have it installed."

Me, "Ok, I'll bring it in this afternoon and get the parts ordered."

Her, "I just found out about this recall yesterday."

Me, "Yesterday? My salesman there called me Friday the 19th, The day after the recall was posted."

Her, "Hmm, I wonder how he knew so soon?"

Me, "I don't know, maybe he is on top of things and takes care of his customers."

Her, "We all try, service is much busier than sales."

Me, "Well that's comforting news (with a chuckle)"

Her, "Right"

Old 10-24-2018, 11:04 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Should I expect to get a letter? There are a lot of Harley owners who don't belong to forums or surf the web for recalls. I've gotten certified mail for an auto recall.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
Should I expect to get a letter? There are a lot of Harley owners who don't belong to forums or surf the web for recalls. I've gotten certified mail for an auto recall.
I doubt it. When a bike comes in for service they are supposed to check to see if a bulletin or recall is outstanding on that bike. Some do, others don't I would imagine. I've had recall letters on vehicles I traded in years earlier.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem