General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch back and forth between dino and synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:27 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
That amount of miles is incredible. I guess because it is diesel. Or could their gas engines do that many miles without internal engine work?
Originally Posted by Cbyway
Don't get me wrong. There have been many issues.
I wonder if with the Japanese trucks its the other way around. The engines don't last as long but less issues with peripheral things as noted in your unabbreviated post.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

@kingglide549: Interesting post. Thanks. I guess the answer is for HD to use thicker diameter plumbing.

If I'm not mistaken, the coolers out there now help cool the oil at least somewhat. I forget how many degrees.
Not thicker - Larger ID all the way from the pump scavage side to cooler and back to tank.
On the avg, aftermarket coolers drop the temp 10 deg..
BUT-
Most people mount them out of the linear airflow ij behind the fender. equals not very efficient.
mount them in "clean air"
I have one mounted to crash bar as far as being cool, ugly or whatever.
It is not even noticeable.

Last edited by Kingglide549; 11-15-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

If you want to tour on your Harley and run dino oil, run Harley dino oil and get it changed at a Harley dealer when you're out on the road. Problem solved.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Some people switch to synthetic oil for their bikes. Is it a bad idea to sometimes go back and forth from dino to synthetic and vice-versa? The reason I ask is someone may prefer dino but if planning a long trip or riding heavily for a period of time, I guess synthetic will allow the bike to acquire more miles before an oil change is needed.
It's ok to change brands of oil, even base stocks (which is what you're asking.) Actually, it's not a bad idea as oils have different additive packages that are strong in some aspects, but may be weak in others. By using numerous oils, you subject your engine to numerous additive packages. This may give you the best overall engine protection as those different packages may contain different detergents and dispersants. Or, not. Depends on the quality of oil you're using too. As far as "compatibility" is concerned, ALL the oils made by major oil companies are mandated to be compatible with one another. (NATO rule.)

Boutique oils don't have to follow this rule, as they're just too small to pay for the exhaustive testing required.

Last thing~ When anyone changes oil brands, it's good idea to frequently check your oil level as it's not impossible to use oil at an increased rate until the oil use stabilizes.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Not thicker - Larger ID all the way from the pump scavage side to cooler and back to tank.
On the avg, aftermarket coolers drop the temp 10 deg..
BUT-
Most people mount them out of the linear airflow ij behind the fender. equals not very efficient.
mount them in "clean air"
I have one mounted to crash bar as far as being cool, ugly or whatever.
It is not even noticeable.
Aftermarket coolers drop the temp 10 degrees if mounted behind the fender? If so, how many degrees if mounted in front of "clean air"?

For some reason, I had 20 degrees in mind regarding how much the coolers lower oil temps.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer

Boutique oils don't have to follow this rule, as they're just too small to pay for the exhaustive testing required.
I never heard of these oils. I wouldn't be surprised if people buy them and label them superior by way of the placebo effect.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts
Default !

Aftermarket coolers drop the temp 10 degrees if mounted behind the fender? If so, how many degrees if mounted in front of "clean air"?

For some reason, I had 20 degrees in mind regarding how much the coolers lower oil temps.
IDK
and no proof.
Thanx for calling me on it !
I have read that so many times my brain says it is a fact.
But for sure out in clean air, an oil cooler will perform better.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I will not argue the fact that synthetic is better......
But damn my 88 sounds worse than sewing machine with mobil 1 20w 50. I tried some schaeffers 20w50 and it was even worse.
I run bel-ray 20w50 dino and it is noticeably quieter But I change my oil every 2500 to 3k..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,127 Likes on 6,253 Posts

I see no harm as long you are changing the oil as per for Dino or synthetic.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by cory464
synthetic is far superior in every possible way. there isn't a risk in switching between the too, the only possible consideration is your seals, some oils cause them to shrink/swell differently and may possibly cause leakage or shorten seal life.
I would have to say No, yes and perhaps. Synthetic is not superior in every way - at least not in aircraft engines that, like some motorcycles, sit unused for longer periods of time than is good for them. Tests there have shown dino oils to cling longer to parts (like camshafts) than synthetic oils if left unused.

Yes, you are correct as to no risk in switching. In expensive aircraft engines I run synthetic (20-50) in the winter and dino (typically straight 50 or W100 as it's called) in the summer - been doing that for years.

Seals in older engines developed leaks and other issues after switching to synthetic oils.

Originally Posted by Cbyway

But I can testify that Rotella Oil is the only Oil I would run in my diesels. Delo 400 is another many used, I just never have.

Anyway, back on topic.
+1 on Rotella-T.

Quick Reply: Switch back and forth between dino and synthetic oil?