General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer assembly and prep fee

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Have some fun with them.....tell them you want to take the bike to an Indy or another dealer to have it checked over (much like you would do in a private sale). When they get offended, explain your offense on the prep fee and that you’re merely seeking justification of the fee.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Just DK
Looked at and rode a low mileage (475 miles) 2018 Sport Glide today. We got into negotiations on it and they dropped a $957 assembly and prep fee on me. I get the charge on a new bike, but I feel like the original owner paid that fee when they bought. I shouldn't have to pay for assembly again. I realize there's some prep work on a used bike, but not that much. Looking over the rest off the paperwork I see the normal taxes and fees. However I do question $125 for document fees. What's the thoughts on acceptable fees?
where are you located? If it's close to Illinois I have a 2018 Sport Glide at my shop with 40 miles on it and I dont have any crazy fees.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Looked at and rode a low mileage (475 miles) 2018 Sport Glide today. We got into negotiations on it and they dropped a $957 assembly and prep fee on me. I get the charge on a new bike, but I feel like the original owner paid that fee when they bought. I shouldn't have to pay for assembly again. I realize there's some prep work on a used bike, but not that much. Looking over the rest off the paperwork I see the normal taxes and fees. However I do question $125 for document fees. What's the thoughts on acceptable fees?
If you give it to them, they'll take it...

I don't like the term "stealership" either. Its a business owned by individuals trying to make the most they can, like every other business. We don't have jobs because our employers take less when folks will pay more.

If you let folks bend you over, that's on you. When buying a bike, they aren't taking anything you aren't giving them.

Last edited by Blackjack1; 11-18-2018 at 09:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cacomly (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Have some fun with them.....tell them you want to take the bike to an Indy or another dealer to have it checked over (much like you would do in a private sale). When they get offended, explain your offense on the prep fee and that you’re merely seeking justification of the fee.
Don't do that because when the Indy finds its in good shape, the dealership will expect you to pay the fees...

Old 11-18-2018, 10:16 AM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

If you look on Harleys website it clearly states that Harley reimburses the dealerships for PDI and set up fees !!!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Bob Blehead
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Reminds me of a comedian who had a routine about this stuff, including the "multi-fee fee".

Load of BS, "fee" implies paid to someone else, which it obviously ain't.

Regarding "prep" on a used bike, I guarantee you that the dealer went over that bike with the guy who sold it to them, and beat him down on the price because of all the "prep" it needed to be ready for sale on their floor.

As everyone says, ignore the line items, add tax, title, and license to what you're willing to pay for the bike, and that's your total. Get the dealer close enough to that, so you're willing to close the deal, or take a hike. Especially now, there's more bikes than buyers out there.
This^^^
However you slice it; the dealer is in business to make money, not friends.
What it boils down to is: what you (buyer) are willing to pay.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by MoRider
If you look on Harleys website it clearly states that Harley reimburses the dealerships for PDI and set up fees !!!
if it is still posted, they've moved it. it is no longer under the 'specs and pricing' link on the motorcycles pages. if you know where it is, i'd like to see it again. i saved a screen shot of it previously, but would like to know where they are hiding it now.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

All the bs dealer fees are additional profit. Obviously the dealers have them because there are a few lay-downs out there that will pay full price plus the fees. It also gives them more negotiating room for those who want a haggle price.
In todays market, you should be able to negotiate all of those fees, plus some more money, off the price of a new bike. So a buyer needs to know what the individual dealer is charging for these bs fees before negotiations even start.
In my area, most dealers price a used bike so that any "reconditioning costs" associated with putting the bike in a sellable condition are not shown. Although its easy for a buyer to compare one new bike to another new bike it's impossible to compare one used bike to another used bike. Each used bike is unique as far as color, options, mileage and even that little scratch on the front fender. Strong dealers know that and can "stand tall" more on a used bike than on a new bike.
HD dealers are slow to respond to market changes. That's 1 reason why HD sales are down. Dealers won't recognize the demand isn't like it was back in 1999 or 2000. The days of HDs bringing over MSRP for new bikes are long gone. Heck, back in the early 90s, used HDs brought more money than new ones! That's not true anymore either.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:37 AM
NoSecCatfish
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
if it is still posted, they've moved it. it is no longer under the 'specs and pricing' link on the motorcycles pages. if you know where it is, i'd like to see it again. i saved a screen shot of it previously, but would like to know where they are hiding it now.
Go to HD's website, then at the very bottom of the page is a small link that says "[#]View All Disclaimers" It's on of part of #6 when you click that.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

If I'm buying a $16k bike for $14k, I don't care if the charge me $13k to assemble it and $500 in document fees, as long as the last line is $14k.

Quick Reply: Dealer assembly and prep fee