General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Crash on the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,968 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
That corner almost always has standing water and mud splashed onto the pavement. You can see the water in the picture. I don't know if that attributed to this crash or not. Mainly I think inexperienced foreign rider showing off to the photographer. I have yet to ever scrape on the Dragon after over 50 passes on that road and I do not ride it slow. Only twice have I had to let faster crotch rockets go around me.
I am sure having only his right hand on the bar contributed when the right floor board hit. May well have been some mud/dirt in the curve.

I live 72 miles from the dragon. I have scrapped my boards more then one time on the dragon. Not hard to do, when you are pushing it hard. Also pretty easy to ride at a very brisk pace with out scraping unless your on a softtial which is why I do not ride my fatboy on the dragon, not enough lean angle.

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I just don’t understand why someone buys or rents a 800 + lb. tour bike and thinks they can ride it like a Sportster . It’s just stupid totally totally stupid !
Well, there are many who can. Really depends on Skill level. Google Yellow Wolf on the Dragon. That old man gives sport bikes a run for their money, he can ride. It's rare when I get passed on the dragon, and I'm on a 800+ pound road king or road glide.

Originally Posted by n5tf
Glad he is ok. I don't worry about my skill level when riding the dragon, its the other guys you have to worry about. For me, the dragon has too many miatas, mini coopers, and crazy bike riders. I prefer other equally good routes less traveled in North Georgia and North Carolina.
I agree, do not forget the old Porsche drivers and Vette drivers. I am on the dragon frequently, however you will never see me there on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. When I go, its early Tuesday, Wednesday or Thrusday, and I'm off it before 11am in the morning. I do not like it when there are many people there at all, doesn't matter if I'm on one of my bike or in my Grand Sport.

I have crossed it more than once at 0800 and seen only two or three other people the whole 11 miles. That is when its nice.

The following users liked this post:
n5tf (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
He paid alright, that rental was costing him $200/day. But since the insurance company has no doubt seen the video, I kind of wonder if they will attempt to charge up his Russian credit card for the negligence that caused the crash. I've never rented a bike but isn't your card charged up front for unforeseen expenses?
Negligence and errors is what insurance covers.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

He simply fell off the Harley.
Sure he was going too fast for the curve and scraped the floorboards but then he fell off.
No I do not think he bailed when he heard his floorboards scrape. Having one hand on the handlebar didn't help. It's part of the reason he fell off.
He wasn't about to cross the center line until he fell off.

oh and he had short sleeves instead of a leather coat. ouch but no serious injury

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,673 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
'......never leave the motorcycle voluntarily while in motion.
I think you should forward that to HD for inclusion in the Owners Manuals. They could put it alongside, 'Do not operate the motorcycle with the steering lock on' and all the other gems the manuals contain.

The following users liked this post:
QNman (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:36 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Hard to read...

One of the top ten rules of motorcycle safety - never leave the motorcycle voluntarily while in motion. Ride that bitch as long as possible.
Absolutely true!

I bet that he bailed because he was riding a rental...

this dude is simply a reminder that we always need to pray to never meet a dumbass like this one when we are out riding

Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,612 Likes on 11,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
Negligence and errors is what insurance covers.
Yea but once the insurance adjuster watches the video, they could sue to recover their losses. The policy might have an exclusion for intentional damage. Good luck collecting however.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM
JeremyJustice
Tourer
Received 459 Likes on 169 Posts

I really dont understand what happened here. Can someone explain how you just fall off the bike like that? Surly it had to be intentional. I've gone down several times, went off the road, made all kinds of mistakes but I've never just slid off the side of the bike!?!

From the beginning of the video it looks like dude knows how to ride, then he sees the photographer, waves and hits the eject button, seems weird to me.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,612 Likes on 11,264 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyJustice
I really dont understand what happened here. Can someone explain how you just fall off the bike like that? Surly it had to be intentional. I've gone down several times, went off the road, made all kinds of mistakes but I've never just slid off the side of the bike!?!

From the beginning of the video it looks like dude knows how to ride, then he sees the photographer, waves and hits the eject button, seems weird to me.
Leaving the bike may be what is taught to Russian riders, if you think you are about to crash, hop off. I too don't see how this wasn't intentional, physics keeps riders firmly seated while leaned over in a curve. A high side is the only way a bike ejects a rider. Not the case here.
I am sure military pilots are taught never to eject from an airplane that is still flying.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Yea but once the insurance adjuster watches the video, they could sue to recover their losses. The policy might have an exclusion for intentional damage. Good luck collecting however.
No. That's what insurance covers.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Been to the Dragon many times, you can have a lot of fun on that stretch without being in danger of crashing. Do I ride my Road Glide through the sections as quickly as I do my BMW? No, I don't, I stay within the capability of the machine and some do corners better than others.

The only time it was ever sketchy was riding it at midnight in the rain, that was a very careful trip through the 318 curves.

Last edited by drcollie; 12-06-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley Crash on the Dragon