General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think your wife would be piss3d??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

Way back when she used to ride I always told my wife, 'you don't have to be afraid of falling. Because if you fall it's because I fell and I don't fall.' She was always content with that.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,472 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane 68
yep most definitely. Used those up. Time new skins. Good luck. Wild Bill

Got mine your turn
I see the Shinko tires and I am thinking about getting American Elites, but wanted to know what you thought of the Shinko for duration and grip. I am looking to place them on my Softail and am not sure if I need the Heavy Duty 777. Basically, are they worth the $50.00 difference?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:11 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,101 Likes on 3,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
Sorry, IMO there’s no excuse for that.
What he said ^

The following 2 users liked this post by stixvrad:
RKGDCG03 (12-17-2018), tar_snake (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 AM
vankaye
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

There's plenty of risk already... why?

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
I see the Shinko tires and I am thinking about getting American Elites, but wanted to know what you thought of the Shinko for duration and grip. I am looking to place them on my Softail and am not sure if I need the Heavy Duty 777. Basically, are they worth the $50.00 difference?
I installed a Shinko SR777 on the front of my Street Glide October 18th this year. I do like it's grip and with the way I ride at times that's a plus. It's not very good in rutted snow and ice, especially with potholes in the same where it had also rained not more than an hour before. But then realistically I don't know of any tire that would hold it's path in a situation like that. Cars and pickup trucks get tossed around in those things, let alone a motorcycle. Perhaps if it were studded it might. I've been on roads when it was raining with no issues, and that includes when it started to rain (brings the oils and crap to the contact surface of the road). How long the tire lasts remains to be seen. Currently the wear looks even but it may be too soon to tell.

The reason I decided on this tire was I had seen scant few mentions of it on this forum. So I figured I would give it a shot. It's doing what I need it to do so I guess that's all that matters.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,838 Likes on 18,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
I installed a Shinko SR777 on the front of my Street Glide October 18th this year. I do like it's grip and with the way I ride at times that's a plus. It's not very good in rutted snow and ice, especially with potholes in the same where it had also rained not more than an hour before. But then realistically I don't know of any tire that would hold it's path in a situation like that. Cars and pickup trucks get tossed around in those things, let alone a motorcycle. Perhaps if it were studded it might. I've been on roads when it was raining with no issues, and that includes when it started to rain (brings the oils and crap to the contact surface of the road). How long the tire lasts remains to be seen. Currently the wear looks even but it may be too soon to tell.

The reason I decided on this tire was I had seen scant few mentions of it on this forum. So I figured I would give it a shot. It's doing what I need it to do so I guess that's all that matters.
"It's not very good in rutted snow and ice" ... Must get a lot of that in SW Virginia ?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,472 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm

I am looking at front and rear for my bike, but I am not sure about heavy duty and the regular 777 for a Softail, but that is research. I am thinking of picking them up if they meet my needs (hence why I ask) and doing a long term review of them for the Local HOG group ( i am their Safety Officer) as an alternative to the other more expensive tires that may do the same job. I ride in Florida, so no snow, but plenty of rain. I found the Commander II not too great in the rain.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Well my wife won't ride on the back of my bike, so as long as I keep the insurance policy up to date I can ride whatever I want.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,838 Likes on 18,584 Posts

Here's a Shinko that came apart on a buddy of mines Triumph ... About a week old .... He was on I-75 with his gal on the back when it came apart

Old 12-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
"It's not very good in rutted snow and ice" ... Must get a lot of that in SW Virginia ?
Nah, I live on a dirt/gravel road and with this last snowstorm we had (20 inches) the road though plowed turned to chit. There was a nice 4 to 5 inch

ridge of ice and hard packed snow right down the middle of the road, and there was a good sized section that had the ruts and potholes. Of course I chose to ride over that area shortly after it rained making it slickery as heck, and I almost dumped my bike with it being tossed around in those ruts. I really wish I had videoed that part of the ride. Yep, I had to check to make sure I hadn't soiled myself after all was said and done!

The road after it had been plowed:

The following 2 users liked this post by Bonnie Storm:
tar_snake (12-17-2018), Uncle Larry (12-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Think your wife would be piss3d??