General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you protect your nose from sunburn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Ok mates, I gutta weigh in again.

So listen this time since I am right and everyone else is wrong. LOL!!!! Ok, ok, no hate mail pls I was 'juss joking.

Originally Posted by BigMike
LOL - I had to check out this thread to see if this was a serious questions and since there are 2 pages of responses, I knew there would be some great posts.

First, the question is so ridiculous, it is like asking, I don’t want to get a girl pregnanat, but I don’t want to wear a condom, pull out, and she won’t take the pill.
BigMike, you likely have a LOT of experience at this stuff and have the issue solved for your riding.

I have been in and understand the frustration BB2 is going thru. WISHING, WISHING there was another answer which is better than all of the others that crossed BB2's desk so far.

BB2, I support your asking 100%. "Been there, done that", and will likely be again.

BigMike, your point IS well made above. BB2 is just looking for a better way. Like in your example, that gal can wear a diaphragm or IUD which would also solve the getting pregnant issue as well as other ways.

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Give me another shot of Troll Spray I guess I deserved it for asking question on forum that is designed for it. I am glad some responses were actually serious. Someone said it right there are no stupid questions just stupid answers. We seen quite a few on this tread.

Appreciate all comments from people that really tried to help.
BB2, sry mate but I disagree with you getting another shot of Troll Spray. (See below.)

Originally Posted by duoglider
Sunscreen works very well if you use it and reapply at gas stops
I would like to repeat what I said way up above. Personally I do not like any sunscreen for the following reasons.
1) When you sweat, the fumes CAN (it happened to me 2 times) rise when you are stopped and you can get temporarily blinded. YEAH, it is a thing.

2) You need to apply the sunscreen then WAIT 20 minutes for it to absorb into your skin.

3) You need to re-apply it every 2 hrs or so. (Who re-applies it right?)

4) The sun screen can get on other things. Not fun. And leave white marks on other things.

5) It is not 100% efficient like a tube.

I actually bought this thing last season and was really pleased with it (buff brand) what was not so nice was to have this cloth over my mouth and nose and breathing through it. Not horrible but hot and unnatural feeling. I have seen they have these with holes in the mouth/nose areas so I might buy new one for this season as additional option as I teally liked it otherwise.
BB2, everyone has their own personal preferences and tolerance. Regarding the issues above, you get used to it. All of those things (I have found) go away, out of your mind as you are riding looking around trying not to get killed out there.

If you are thinking too much about the tube, then either you may have it on too loosely or tight. Or you have not worn it enough to forget you even have it on.

It is like when you put on clothing. You 1st feel it when you tighten your belt but in moments u forget you even have a belt on. Or a helmet. Or shoes, sneakers tied up or boots. You mind adjusts and you forget about those things as you will the tube.

The tube offers you the BEST protection for sure. I would put more emphasis there than on anything else.

Lastly, G-d forbid but say you got skin cancer. Will you then wish you put up with a little inconvenience than a slap on cream that does not work 100% like a tube does?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Ok mates, I gutta weigh in again.

So listen this time since I am right and everyone else is wrong. LOL!!!! Ok, ok, no hate mail pls I was 'juss joking.

BigMike, you likely have a LOT of experience at this stuff and have the issue solved for your riding.

I have been in and understand the frustration BB2 is going thru. WISHING, WISHING there was another answer which is better than all of the others that crossed BB2's desk so far.

BB2, I support your asking 100%. "Been there, done that", and will likely be again.

BigMike, your point IS well made above. BB2 is just looking for a better way. Like in your example, that gal can wear a diaphragm or IUD which would also solve the getting pregnant issue as well as other ways.

BB2, sry mate but I disagree with you getting another shot of Troll Spray. (See below.)

I would like to repeat what I said way up above. Personally I do not like any sunscreen for the following reasons.
1) When you sweat, the fumes CAN (it happened to me 2 times) rise when you are stopped and you can get temporarily blinded. YEAH, it is a thing.

2) You need to apply the sunscreen then WAIT 20 minutes for it to absorb into your skin.

3) You need to re-apply it every 2 hrs or so. (Who re-applies it right?)

4) The sun screen can get on other things. Not fun. And leave white marks on other things.

5) It is not 100% efficient like a tube.

BB2, everyone has their own personal preferences and tolerance. Regarding the issues above, you get used to it. All of those things (I have found) go away, out of your mind as you are riding looking around trying not to get killed out there.

If you are thinking too much about the tube, then either you may have it on too loosely or tight. Or you have not worn it enough to forget you even have it on.

It is like when you put on clothing. You 1st feel it when you tighten your belt but in moments u forget you even have a belt on. Or a helmet. Or shoes, sneakers tied up or boots. You mind adjusts and you forget about those things as you will the tube.

The tube offers you the BEST protection for sure. I would put more emphasis there than on anything else.

Lastly, G-d forbid but say you got skin cancer. Will you then wish you put up with a little inconvenience than a slap on cream that does not work 100% like a tube does?
This is answer I really appreciate and yes this discussion changed my mind on this topic no doubt after seeing what I have seen in this post.

So now I want to hear what sunscreen you guys use that make you feel you dont have grease on your face (or at least minimize this feeling while still providing reasonable barrier).

I am willing to give it a try as soon as sun come back to Chicago.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

So now I want to hear what sunscreen you guys use that make you feel you dont have grease on your face (or at least minimize this feeling while still providing reasonable barrier).
There are only 3 you should be using. Check with you dermatologist if u have one.

1) Neutrogenia (HELIOPLEX) 45 or ABOVE. Anything above 45 SOUNDS GOOD but does NOTHING more for you. It is just good (or misleading) advertising. (See below mate.)

2) ANYTHING with Zinc Oxide in it.

3) ANYTHING with Titanium Dioxide in it.

The Banana Boat and Coppertone etc......... (there are a billion of them) are marketing CRAP unless it has #2 or #3 above in it.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you. Oh, READ THE DIRECTIONS. RE-APPLYING is important as well as putting it on early.

Here is the one I used to use but it was not 100. It was 45 since back then it was cheaper.

There is a spray but u wind up inhaling it and I do not like how it dries on my skin. It feels horrible.

You are welcome...........

BuzzCap7

Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

This question was answered about 20 posts back. Neutrogena https://www.neutrogena.com/sun

I'm glad you stopped throwing chairs at every plausible solution! Enjoy your melanoma-free riding!

Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member

Neutrogena is actually only hand cream I use for hands if I really have to and yes this one is absorbed quickly and doesnt leave any film on my hands so I will definitely give this one a shot as I had bit of experience with.

P.S. I still only apply it to upper side of my hands LOL. For that I would like to ask for one last shot of Troll Spray and I should be good till winter LOL

Thanks guys for all your help it was definitely eye opening post for me.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

You asked for it...you got it.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBRob

You asked for it...you got it.
buhahahahaha works every time

Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I've been riding decades before there was any awareness of the need for sunscreen and always had an open face helmet. Started using sunscreen a few years back but it was too late and got cancer on my nose. Lost almost half my nose in September and had several surgeries to repair since then.
I asked the plastic surgeon what to use on the scars since they're not supposed to get direct sun for at least a year. He set me up with a high end ointment called Silagen. It contains zinc and has an SPF of 35. It's silicone based and doesn't come off easily, so I use it when outdoors. Even though its main use is for healing, it's what I'll need when I start riding this spring. It's not cheap, the 15 gram size was $50 at the doctor's office but I've found it a little cheaper online.
It leaves white residue when it rubs on anything, so it's not pretty.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

OP- look into this sunscreen. Its actually for babies and kids but I use it on my face when I ride and I have had good results. I spray it on my hands then rub it on my face. It has a little bit of a smell at first but it goes away once it dries. And I have tried several different kinds of sunscreen over the years and I can say this one is the driest one I have ever used. Once you rub it in and it dries you don't get that greasy residue like some other brands.
https://www.amazon.com/Babyganics-Mineral-Based-Sunscreen-Spray-Bottle/dp/B00V9D7O1U/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547119204&sr=8-4&keywords=Babyganics+Mineral-Based+Baby+Sunscreen+Spray https://www.amazon.com/Babyganics-Mineral-Based-Sunscreen-Spray-Bottle/dp/B00V9D7O1U/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547119204&sr=8-4&keywords=Babyganics+Mineral-Based+Baby+Sunscreen+Spray

Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Dan Gurney Mask is the only thing that will save your precious sensitive face from the cruel elements. Look forward to seeing your new strong, brave fashion statement.

I want one of those for winter!

Quick Reply: How do you protect your nose from sunburn?