General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best Method To Tie Down Your Motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
I use the Wheeldock shown in the above video. I then ratchet the front end at points on the lower legs. I do not compress the front end. I ratchet the rear from both sides to keep from bouncing sideways. The suspension is able to function as it does when riding but the bike remains in one spot. Pulling the front end down can blow the seals in the front end.
I also use a condor chock plus 3 2x4s for under the motor and Ratchet it down tight so the forks don't compress. Works great.

The following users liked this post:
major105bc (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

The Wheeldock & Biker bar have my vote (so far).
I am liking the Wheeldock more for it versatility (able to use it in the garage every day).
Looking a little closer at it...

Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

The best way since forever - Stand the bike up straight with the front wheel in some sort of device to keep it from turning. Straps around the bars, upper tree, lower tree whatever you can get them around best and cinch them down evenly a little more than half way. Then strap down the back firmly with two more straps. Tie off the strap ends so they don't flap around and beat up the bike and off you go. No movement, no damage to anything no big deal. Don't over think it, don't make it out to be more than it is.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

What bike?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
You can (and probably will) get as many opinions on here as to how to tie a bike down as there are articles and videos on the internet. I use a chock for the front wheel and soft straps around the forks above the fender, attached to ratchet straps pulling slightly forward. Also a strap across the back to keep the rear from jumping around if the road is bumpy. That's about as succinct as I can make it. Always has worked on my bikes.
This is how I do it. Works on all bikes (except springer) and does not compress the front suspension, allowing it to function as normal. Condor wheel chock makes loading a one man process. Rear strap location really varies a lot depending on the bike, does it have bags etc, but I always include to rear strap to keep the tail from wagging. you want a connection to the frame first, if not possible, swing arm next, if that is a no go I would reluctantly look at the fender/sissy bar support.

I am not a fan of utilizing the handlebars as a tie down point, rubber mounts in the upper trees, things move, bend etc. Just not a secure location. My opinion.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM
drew88
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 61 Posts

I use a front wheel chock and just leave it on the side stand. I don’t even bother to try to stand it up. I use soft straps and tie downs from the handlebars to the floor with a slight bit of compression on the forks. On the rear I just tie it down to the walls of the trailer from the sissy bar to stabilize it. I throw an overhand loop knot in the straps to help keep them in place. I never use ratchet straps as you can easily bend or break something.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Not like this:

Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Not like this:

Meh, that should buff right out.............

Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

Best way.....get the help of a second person.

Wheel chock is a good idea yet not always available, so make sure to bring front
tire all the way to the front of the wall of the cargo hold.
Strapping to handle bars instead of over the lower triple clamps is my votes.
Proper tie downs and extension straps to go over the handle bars are vital.
Compress the forks 3/4 of their travel, almost to its full travel.
IMO only need to tie down the front.
But, I have never traveled with this setup cross-country so there may be
better advice, except for my first sentence above which I think is # 1 best way.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 AM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought a pair of "tank straps" and a harbor freight wheel chock, similar to a condor, and use this guy's method to tie it down. Towed my 2018 electraglide ultra classic 1200 miles round trip like this on my utility trailer and the bike never moved. It felt solid with the trailer, but the suspension was able to absorb any bumps in the road.
I did add one strap to each rear floorboard just to keep the rear end from moving.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by LJLKRL05; 01-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (01-13-2019)

Quick Reply: The Best Method To Tie Down Your Motorcycle?