General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Jet Peddler
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

Full face all day long.

In warmer months I prefer a full-face modular.

The following users liked this post:
bluestoo (10-17-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:16 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Took me years to get over and past the half lid is cool on a Harley way of thinking. Being pelted in the face with rain sucks so I now ride with an HJC 3/4 that has a flip down shield. As soon as I can get the wife to try on some helmets I plan to get us both FF models. Not sure what we will end up with but the Bell Bullitt will be the starting point and will weigh the pros of more expensive options from there. My face ain't none too pretty but hers sure is.

bluestoo (10-17-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,578 Likes on 3,825 Posts

Full face all the way. Especially at interstate speed and cool weather. Especially if you have obligation to others. That way, they will be the first to know. The man will pull up the visor, look at your picture ID and say, that's him!??? haa..
That is a silly notion on awareness, other then you may notice they are going to get you a millsecond sooner.
And forget the moduler. Someone just had one on here with the chin part broke off in an accident.

If it's that hot, pop up the visor. Put your shades on after helmit of course. And if you get a good one like Shoie, they have different cheek pad and liner thickness for fitting. And of course, you have no choice but try it on before buying.

I saw a great deal on eBay. Tried it on in a shop and they matched it. $100 is three trips to Outback for me.
My full face XL Shoie was lighter then my 3/4 Harley helmit and full face are both DOT and Snell rated.
I still wear my scooped out size small real Carbon Fiber DOT Daytona cap. I have no obligations to anyone and I know it is worthless at any speed over a pedal bike.

This is just my opinion for the first poster. Not suggesting what anyone does or thinks. So please do not quote or cookie cut.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-13-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:35 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Can't help but notice how FF advocates seem to dominate these threads. Others tired of being lectured to or shouted down perhaps ?

I wear a Bell Rogue. I love the solid confidence the thin plastic muzzle provides when I don't overthink it.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,578 Likes on 3,825 Posts

It's is also Interesting how thin skin some are. So read my signature and maybe that will help. There is one less then you think.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Can't help but notice how FF advocates seem to dominate these threads. Others tired of being lectured to or shouted down perhaps ?
More than likely. You can't win an argument when the facts don't support you... only the feels. I wear a novelty beanie 85% of the time but I have a full-face and a modular for bad/cold weather. I wrecked my bike at 60 mph, going through some 4x4's (speed and turn sign posts) and off the road, tossed for at least 50 ft. while the bike tumbled further. Fractured the C2 & C7 vertebrae in my neck. The novelty did the job after protecting the initial impact but then it popped off, which was actually a desirable result with the neck injury I had and the ability to immediately asses and stabilize by the Paramedic I was riding with at the time. Considering the type of injuries sustained, it could have gone a lot worse.

When I was young, I used to say there were some types of wrecks I just don't want to survive. These days... I just do what I do and let others do the same. It's your head, your problem.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

90% I wear a Biltwell 3/4. Most comfortable helmet I have found for me. I've also got a beanie for summer and a modular for rain.
I'm curious if anyone has used Biltwell's Lane Splitter full face model. I'd like to get another full but hopeful for some reviews before I shell out the cash.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Like they say, everything is a compromise. So my Bell Pit Boss half helmet is definitely a compromise. But it is so comfortable--like I'm not even wearing a helmet. And has a little wheel thingy at the back of your neck to adjust the fit a little bit which lets me put on my rainsuit with the attached hood then put on my helmet over the hood after I adjust the wheel thingy and I no longer get any water down my neck. And I can hear my music and pipes much better than when I wore my 3/4 helmet. The dark tinted flip down eye shade is great during the day and if I'm going to be riding during and after dusk I will wear my Rx glasses and the helmet has enough room for me to still flip down the darkened eye shade but when the light is fading I can raise the tinted shade and have my regular glasses on.

I realize my half helmet does not provide the protection of a FF. But...., the half helmet does provide significantly more protection than no helmet at all.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:28 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress

Agree with GalvTexGuy. We’ve beat the helmet horse to death but what the hell? I still love a good helmet thread. I find the above comment very odd although I’m sure a lot of riders are the same way. Why a FF on a metric and a halfy on a Harley. Are Harleys safer than metrics? NO! It’s the whole image thing. FF helmets don’t look cool on a Harley. I used to be the same way. I rarely ever wore a helmet at all on a Harley after many years of riding metrics with FF helmets. It just didn’t seem right. Besides, there is a certain thrill to going down the road on a Harley with the wind iin your hair, listening to your pipes in all their loud obnoxious glory, etc. Took me a long time to get over that.
And you're going to beat it some more by taking issue with me on my choice of helmets. My Harley is my "half-helmet bike"; it's that simple. If personal safety was my main concern, I wouldn't ride motorcycles, but I started fifty years ago and I don't want to quit yet.

Last edited by RK4ME; 01-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Both FF and half helmets have their pros and cons. I use both. Hopefully when I go down, I will have chosen the correct one that protects me the most at that time.

bluestoo (10-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Helmet question