General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced rideing practice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:20 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

The other thing to practice is emergency stopping. Start you practice at 20-25mph. concentrate on using the front brake first then rear brake.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Fortunately I live near the end of a cul-de-sac.
I have five bright orange spots painted permanently on the pavement in the pattern of what a 5 would be on a set of dice. The pattern is 20' wide. I use the pattern for riding circles, u-turns and figure 8's.

I used to need the entire 20 foot space for all three exercises. U-turns can now be done easily inside 18' without scraping. Circles are easily within 17' or better. For the figure 8's I still use the entire 20' width. I can do full lock in both directions, I just don't like scraping if I don't have to. That angle and scraping sound is definitely good to know.

I have spent literally hours in that cul-de-sac practicing. Usually before I take off for a ride I will warm up for a few minutes doing a few of each exercise. Eye placement was the hardest for me to master, then friction zone with a little dragging of rear brake.

Not bragging but my 17' u-turn is done now without any braking while turning and without any issues. Sometimes I can get my U-turn down around 14' if I come to nearly a dead stop before starting the turn. Crowded parking lots, filling stations or other slow moving places was once difficult. Now it's a breeze moving and putting that Road King anywhere desired.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Last couple of years our local HOG chapter had the “Ride Like a Pro” school come to us for training. If you belong to HOG or a club it’s something you might bring up to your chapter.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I plan on taking the Ride like a Pro course this spring. I am terrible at slow manuvering and U Turns. I'm too afraid I'll lay the bike over and scratch it up. What do use to protect your bars?

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Marks57
I plan on taking the Ride like a Pro course this spring. I am terrible at slow manuvering and U Turns. I'm too afraid I'll lay the bike over and scratch it up. What do use to protect your bars?
We protected the crash bars with split lengthwise automotive heater hose held on with zip ties.

Originally Posted by prostar
The other thing to practice is emergency stopping. Start you practice at 20-25mph. concentrate on using the front brake first then rear brake.
and if your bike has ABS, slam on the levers to learn how the ABS engages

Last edited by upflying; 01-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Nope....just ride cautiously in the spring.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM
riggpigg
Club Member
Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

https://www.americansupercamp.com

I can't recommend these guys high enough...It will change the way you ride.....period. It will hurt your feelings too......
Track days, on anything, will significantly improve your skills. Do it............

Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
I've always used tennis ***** cut in half for parking lot practice cones. They don't slide if you get a tire on them just pop out of the way. You can store a bunch of them in the container they come in when cut in half.
That's a great idea. Thanks!!!!

Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Ride like a pro-NC, in greensboro... and MotoMark1 anr to very good local (to me) classes, as well as the Bike-Safe-NC program, which is more a "skills assessment" than a training class.... but it's good to have motor officers follow you, and tell you what they see.
Another good deal, is the MSF experienced rider's class (sometimes called the advanced)... same instructors as the basic class, same drills... but on your own bike.... and there's no chance of you failing, so if you are tentative in the "box" no one gigs you

or
Find an empty parking lot, and get some cones or cut tennis *****
and view the RLaP videos
Or on youtube download from
/motorman857another good source of videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/CaptCrashIdaho

Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Low speed practice is very important, and there are numerous good tips here. The tennis ball or cheap cones work well because the bike you feedback if you run over them - you definitely don't want to look down at the cones.

But, emergency stopping and swerving are equally important, ABS is more common now, but how many riders actually get in a safe location and practice locking the ABS so we experience the feedback? (Yes, I know we don't want to lock the non-ABS brakes, but it's better to experience it in a safe location rather than the road). ABS pulsing will startle you the first few times, similar to scraping pegs or whatever. We need to learn not to react stupidly when these feedbacks happen. If you ride is low traffic area, practice quick stops, and swerving around pothole or patches in the road at highway speeds. Almost everyone I've coached stopped quicker on their second and third practice run. Real life riding does not gives us the second chance.

Finally, safe riding on the road is much more a skill of the eyes and mind rather than the hands and feet. We need to focus and practice our mental survival skills constantly as we ride.

Last edited by tx freebird; 01-15-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
dceggert (01-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Advanced rideing practice