General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced rideing practice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I have done a lot of low speed training (Cones, etc.) but lately I have taken a few classes from Yamaha Championship Riding School, they offer some Street classes that are open to any style bike. It's changed the way I think and my riding style.

Do you a YouTube search on "100 Points of Grip" and another video "R=MPH" by Nick Ienatsch for an idea.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

There is a local group here that does "V-Twin Yoga" various cone courses every Sunday morning.

I go over once every month or two. I also schedule an annual intermediate or advanced rider course for our Legion Riders chapter.

Low speed handling skills and emergency stops are important to practice.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

There are advanced riding classes held all around the country. Ride Like A Pro is probably the most widely known but there are many. (I instruct at one here in Omaha).

Kudos for recognizing the value and and importance of improving your skills. I wish everyone had your attitude. Sadly, many think they are “good enough”, or that parking lot “tricks” are a waste of time.

And if/when you get good enough, you can start competing. It’s a blast and very addictive!

Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Also...google split shaft collars. Buy the 1.25” ID collars for the front and .875” ID for the rear. Place them on your crash bars where they would make contact with the ground. They do an amazing job protecting the bike in the event that you drop it (which you will, eventually).

Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Also...google split shaft collars. Buy the 1.25” ID collars for the front and .875” ID for the rear. Place them on your crash bars where they would make contact with the ground. They do an amazing job protecting the bike in the event that you drop it (which you will, eventually).
(which you will, initially).

Old 01-16-2019, 10:01 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by champ198
are there things that you all do to improve your riding ability.
Sadly, no. Most HD riders have a pathetic skill set. (Yeah, yeah, I know, not anyone here.)LOL.
Practice so to speak, set up cones in a empty parking lot, do a slalom type practice at low speeds or anything like that to improve your riding ability.
There ARE a few (darn few,) that don't think improvement is necessary. We usually hear about their trials and tribulations on this site.
just anything to push youself to become a better rider.
As you stated above, cones on an empty parking lot help. But, better than that, take an advanced rider course. Then take "Bike Bonding." Then take "Ultimate Bike Bonding." There are lots of courses to take beyond kindergarten (Basic Rider Course.)
was something I was just thinking about on my way to work this morning.
I'm wondering if your desire to improve is based on your competitive spirit (since you raced moto-x.)
As you know, racing motocross is a whole different animal then sitting on a barcalounger waiting for your offramp to appear. You know the best way to increase your skillset is to ride with someone faster/smoother, and observe their inputs. Also, take courses as it's a quicker way to learn. A chat with a good instructor can really make a difference in anyone's riding. You know this if you've ever taken a motocross school class. Many old racers offer them. But, this is a barcalounger class, so any MSF instructor will likely do.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 PM
662894v
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I got into MotoTrials a couple of years ago. Although it’s a completely different animal, it teaches you a lot about clutch control, traction, slow speed maneuvers, balance. Plus riding in the elements like rain, snow, mud. It’s a rain or shine sport on the rocks.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010AAA86
I also found tremendously helpful to watch the local PD officers when they train and ride. They used to practice on a empty lot in Miami Garden (Dade County) and I would just park outside and watch, learned a couple of things that way.
I've seen some officers do what looks impossible on a big bike but its just practice, discipline and physics.
Those officers have one huge advantage.

Someone else pays for the damage when they drop the bike.

I love my parking lot practice, but I would push myself much harder if I knew I wasn't responsible for the damages to the bike.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

There are are a lot of folks around the country training and competing on personal bikes, myself included. If you guard them up you can protect them pretty well.

Originally Posted by VAFish
Those officers have one huge advantage.

Someone else pays for the damage when they drop the bike.

I love my parking lot practice, but I would push myself much harder if I knew I wasn't responsible for the damages to the bike.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
There are are a lot of folks around the country training and competing on personal bikes, myself included. If you guard them up you can protect them pretty well.

Yep...That!!!

At our monthy HOG PLP, the better riders with their Kings, Glides and Ultras are allways pushing the envelope and guess what...they drop their bikes "softly". You might say they usually are able to make it a "controlled landing". No significant damage. Scrapes on their Engine Guards are more like badge's of honor.

Quick Reply: Advanced rideing practice