General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
End Loser
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You should make the battery terminal connections a maintenance task every so often. Check for looseness.

Battery terminal connection looseness can be an issue. Just be aware.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 PM
RKDavid
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for posting, this is something I have thought of from time to time.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

I got a double USB port that fits in the cigar lighter spot on my Street Glide. Very simple hook up.... did have to grind a touch but that took all of 15 seconds! So it is set up to work only with key on, so I don't worry about anything hooked up and draining the battery when setting. I also have a portable battery pack for my phone or any other USB chargeable unit. Don't use my phone for anything but a map to check and a phone. Maybe this year i'll try the music side. I use an I-Pod for my traveling music. But the USB port on the dash is nice and handy.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:26 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

nice doohickey to have.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 829 Posts

Nice project, it's on my short list of things to do.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 PM
End Loser
Tourer
Default New pics

I routed the wire under the bezel no problem. Plenty of slack after installed, can pull either end and it moves freely. It's fine with the seat on as well.

Routed under seat and in front of rear fender down the side to the tender connector at the battery.

Heat shrink before heat.

Heat shrink after after heat.

I'll heat shrink the top end right before permanent placement.

Last piece to figure out is placement of the USB end. I could drill a couple of holes in the fairing backing (FXDLRS) and just zip tie it, that's one way. A grommet of some sort would be much nicer and I could probably angle it such that it's easier to get to, although angling may not be needed. That would also keep the prying thieves away from my connector and easier to put a duct tape cover over it when it rains as it would be near flush to the fairing backing plate.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

I didn't think it would go under the tank bezel . Thanks for pointing that out . It will definitely save me some time with the install .

Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM
End Loser
Tourer

Yeah, took like 2 minutes to install under the bezel vs. taking the tank off. That would be a few beers at least, because you'd have to ponder the inner workings of your beloved wondering how nice it would be to inject 7 more cubic inches.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 PM
End Loser
Tourer

I think I found the grommet to use. I forgot I had this from a previous bike, but never put it on. Been wanting to use it for something.

It's a cigarette lighter charger thingy, made to connect to battery. I will cut the wire end off and open it up. Remove the guts and I think this Battery Tender USB charger will fit right in. Has an environment cover and all.

It's 2 pieces and designed to mate to a drilled surface, like the fairing backing. I'll do this tomorrow evening or saturday, not sure yet.

When the guts are removed, it looks like there's plenty of room to fit right in. I am putting a "square peg" into a round hole as they say, but I'll just use some foam or something to secure it inside the charger.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 PM
End Loser
Tourer

That didn't work. Need to shave it down on the sides I guess or find a larger grommet. Undecided, but I guess it's easy and cheap enough to buy another USB adapter if I screw it up.

Quick Reply: Quick Winter Project