General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,838 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
Texas helmet law...

Under 21 you have to wear a helmet.

Over 21 you do not have to ride with a helmet but you must meet the following 2 requirements
1)Complete a safety course
2)Show proof of medical insurance that provides benefits if accident while riding.

What 2) means is that if you have an accident in Texas and you were not wearing a helmet, even if it was not your fault, the other party is not liable for certain injuries that you may sustain.

https://www.caglefirm.com/texas-motorcycle-helmet-laws/

From the website:

There were 496 motorcycle accidents that resulted in fatalities. Of that number, 217 were wearing helmets and 263 were not.
So if I'm doing the math correctly, approx. 45% of the fatalities were wearing helmets and approx. 55% were not wearing helmets. So basically if you wear a helmet you have a 10% higher chance of survival on average.

The stat I found most interesting was

There were 2,008 motorcycle accidents that resulted in incapacitating injuries. Of that number, 1,031 were wearing helmets and 907 were not. The youngest victim was 3 years old and not wearing a helmet. The oldest was over 99 years old and not wearing a helmet.
Based on my experience many elderly people could sustain a incapacitating injury if they fell of a parked MC. Although it's too bad he or she got injured, I'm glad to see that someone was still riding at 99.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

My 'Best Friend' of 55 years just died of a Heart attack. (RIP) Archie.
He was NOT a motorcycle rider.
It was hard enough to see him in the coffin.

Would have been "impossible" to look at him if he'd been in a bike crash
and cracked open his 'noggin or scraped the hide off his face or worse.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,838 Likes on 2,364 Posts

Having reread something I posted, I realized something wrong with a stat I posted. The quote from the website said:

There were 496 motorcycle accidents that resulted in fatalities. Of that number, 217 were wearing helmets and 263 were not.
217+263=490 So what were the 6 other fatalities wearing?

Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
From the website:

So if I'm doing the math correctly, approx. 45% of the fatalities were wearing helmets and approx. 55% were not wearing helmets. So basically if you wear a helmet you have a 10% higher chance of survival on average.

The stat I found most interesting was

Based on my experience many elderly people could sustain a incapacitating injury if they fell of a parked MC. Although it's too bad he or she got injured, I'm glad to see that someone was still riding at 99.
Well I don’t think wearing a helmet and having the rear set of duels of a tractor trailer roll over ya chest is going to make a difference in stats ,

But fatalities caused from blunt force impacts to the head Is another thing All together.

Wiz 🥃

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 02-03-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:54 PM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

What about 3)
You must have a completed donor card in ya wallet, If ya dont wear one.

Wiz 🤘
I deliver to hospitals and surgery centers all over the country and I have heard several hundreds of times throughout the years someone saying that an organ donor was just brought in (motorcycle rider). I delivered to a hospital 3 weeks ago and a nurse that knows me (from deliveries) introduced a new nurse to me by saying that "this is our favorite murdercycle survivor".

They are not making fun of anyone, they have experienced so many of these riders come in and not live. In most of those cases all that was left to do was to ask the family if they want to donate his/her organs.

In my case the doctors made crystal clear to my family that I would have nowhere near the head damage that I had if I was wearing a helmet. My head bashed into a steel car and then went through a window at 45 mph. My forehead (skull) has what feels like a mountain range.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Not meaning to get off track from my OP but when you talk about helmet protection, high speed impact with or without a helmet I think is going to look gruesome. i.e.: How much the helmet helps may be at question.

When you have low speed impact, the safety margin of how much a helmet protects you really shines.

I do not know this as a fact, but just thinking about the logic of the numbers of how well the helmet works versus speed.

Then that begs the question, how many high and low impacts are there?

Personally (and I do speak ONLY for myself) no matter what the scenario is, I would like to "hedge the bet" by wearing the noggin protector all the time.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

I wonder why motorcycle racers wear the best helmet they can afford?? Full face helmets at that! Never seen anyone racing wearing just a doo rag!

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 02-04-2019 at 07:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hd4evr2008:
bentparts (02-17-2019), BuzzCap7 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I wonder why motorcycle racers wear the best helmet they can afford?? Full face helmets at that! Never seen anyone racing wearing just a doo rag!
HUH........... HD-8 if that don't make u pause, nuth'n does. GOOD POINT mate!!

I'm going back to give u a THANK YOU for that one.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
]
Serious as hell, If you can't enjoy it why do it? I moved out of California because of the dictatorship down there telling me I had to wear a Helmet.
Many have left Calif for one reason or another. But we also have people risking their very lives to get here. It all depends on your point of view.
If wearing a helmet is your "trigger" that's ok. Mine is the reduction in quality of life due to stupid people representing us politically.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (02-17-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by K9F
Thankfully the choice as to whether to wear a helmet or not was removed 50 odd years ago here. I suppose it depends on how much you value freedom of choice and wind in your hair (if you still have any) over your turnip and own mortality perhaps?
Yea, I'm 29 and don't have much hair left (and when I did have some it was red so I'm fair skinned), so wearing a helmet keeps the sun off my head which is prone to burn. Looks a hell of a lot cooler than one of those dumb *** bandanas or do-rags!

I actually wore a full face even when I did have hair (and I live in one of the 3 states with absolutely no helmet law). Anything I can do to up my odds of surviving is a no brainer to me. Convinced my dad to start wearing one too after he spent 30 years without.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.