General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 85hp too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,263 Likes on 6,017 Posts

Welcome from Spartan Country Michigan!!
You got some good advice. I would recommend that you start on a small inexpensive bike and get a few months of riding under your belt. You will drop this bike! Get something you won't feel too bad for injuring! Once you get some experience, then you can get what you want. A lot of people start out on a Harley or a big bike. It can be done, but just remember these things weigh 600+ pounds, are heavy, and if you drop and scrape something, you have an expensive repair.
Once you get the bike of your choosing, get the factory service manual and the parts manual. Even if you don't do your own work, these are good tools to have. I also recommend a three ring binder to record all your repairs, maintenance, service, accessories. It will show you what you've done, when, and keep track of things. I also recommend getting a fuel mileage tracking app.... I have one called Fuel Buddy ( or maybe now it's Simply Auto) and record every fill up. I don't trust bike fuel gages. Know how big your tank is. Reset odometer to zero each fill up. Know how far you go on a tank of gas.
Yeah, lots of stuff, but you will need a bunch of knowledge, experience, and some basics to survive!!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,685 Likes on 959 Posts

Go for it 85 is no much. Just don't over do it at first, pay attention and don't let others dictate how up ride. On another that 600cc bike is almost just as fast as your 85 Hp. I see your from the Chicago area you will need that HP to out run the gun shots. By the way Welcome ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,685 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Florida is not much better .. I won't own a Ride that won't cruise easy at 85 MPH and hit 100 Quick if Needed ..
Man your full of it Jay I road with you at 85 miles in Florida. How are you doing old man? I think I will be riding down in April lost your number PM me

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:54 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by touchdown
Man your full of it Jay I road with you at 85 miles in Florida. How are you doing old man? I think I will be riding down in April lost your number PM me

Will Do ...

Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

The throttle works both ways.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:23 AM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

If you can pick the bike up while it is lying on its side, you should be able to learn to ride it without any problem. There is a certain amount of physicallity (sports broadcasters' made-up word) involved in riding a two-wheeler. Stay out of serious traffic until you get your skill and confidence levels up. 85 horsepower in a Harley is no hill for a stepper. It is the weight to be concerned about. Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM
GoofySB
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Read this. New rider and a big Harley. Lots of good advice and tips in the link.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-g...f-ridiing.html

Last edited by GoofySB; 04-01-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Hairy Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Welcome to the forums. My wife's first motorcycle was a brand new 1982 Super Glide 80 cu inch engine. I don't know what the horsepower of that bike was but she was 5'5" tall and weighed about 100 pounds wet. I taught her to ride it and she has been riding big twins ever since. Her last bike was a 2011 Fat Boy Lo and in 37 years she has never said her bikes had too much power. You use the same skills riding a 250cc bike as you do any bike.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:09 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

If I read that right you already have the bike and want to be sure it's going to be ok. You've taken the training course which is highly recommended, so that's good.

Horsepower is what gets you in trouble with the cops, torque is what gets you in trouble with the fence across the parking lot. Harleys have a lot of torque right from idle speeds. Practice the friction zone with it, get it to move around your neighborhood or especially and empty parking lot, without the use of any gas. Then once you're comfortable, add a little gas. My first bike wasn't a Harley but had a V-twin and made 72 horsepower. The horsepower never got me in trouble, the torque almost did though (bike was cold and stuttered when I pulled out into traffic, my inexperience tried to fix that with giving it more gas, which launched me once the stuttering ended a second later)

The other issue you'll have is controlling the weight of it. Takes a little getting used to it at slow speeds. Once you're riding it's not an issue, it's when you're moving around a gas station or something.

Have fun, don't over think it. A lot of these concerns go away the first time you ride it. Be safe, get some good gear. Welcome to the forums

Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 AM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Keep your hand off the front brake lever when turning while parking. You're welcome.

Quick Reply: Is 85hp too much?