General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The look" and Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: "The look" and Full Face Helmets

A friend of mine gave me a full face helmet this past summer, one of those that the whole front flips up along with the visor that flips up. I rode it about 120 miles one night last week and thought it was pretty neat. Kept the cool air off my face. Felt al little like riding in a car. Never wore a full face helmet before. I think it will lengthen my riding season too. It will be great this fall and early spring when the air is still cole. I love the ability to flip up the front of the helmet in town to cool off and get some air.

Terry

Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM
bigdawg29642000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that Harley riders would be more willing to wave at someone on another harley than someone on another brand of motorcycle?

Old 10-26-2005, 02:13 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

(Anyhow, after hitting the road I quickly began to notice that I wasn't getting "the wave" from approaching Harley riders near as often as I do when wearing my half-helmet. Could it have been that when they first saw the helmet with it's mirror-blue visor they thought it was a crotch rocket,
Believe me, if they thought your Harley looked like a crotch rocket from the front, you don't want them waving at you!

Seriously, you must have run into some non-wavers. Helmet style shouldn't matter. I don't wear a full faced, it doesn't get that cold here in Cal, and I feel a bit claustrophic in one.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered a full face helmet the other day. I don't care about looks or waves.

My truck gets 16 mpg, my Harley gets 50!

Who cares about a silly wave? I'm savin money when I ride. That's my 'excuse' and I'm stickin to it!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

When I am riding and I see another bike coming towards me, I just wave, I don't care what kind of helmet that they are wearing. When I had my first bike, I had a full face helmet. It sure cut down on the cold wind and getting bugs in my nose. I didn't mind it but when I went to a half shell, it took a little getting used to. I think that a person should wear what's comfortable and don't worry about whether anybody waves at you or not.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
de fender
Intermediate

I'm in. This morning, 37deg. and 40 miles to work. I borrowed my son's full face. to check them out. I'm sold!!

Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
kar
Advanced

I always rode with a full face helmet until I bought my Harley. In fact, I bought a new full face for my wife and me when I bought the HD. Bought the bike at the hot part of year and found it just too hot, so I bought a 1/2 helmet. Much cooler, but never do feel as safe with it. I put the full face back on as soon as the weather cooled.

I hit a deer several years ago in Northern Pennsylvania and slid head first at 70 mph down Hyw 6.
If I didn't have the full face helmet on I shutter to think what my face might have looked like.

Plus, as others have said, here in Michigan it sure extends the riding season.

Kar

Old 10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ridden with a full-faced helmet since I bought my first bike. Did get a 1/2 helmet this summer, it is a whole different experience. Everything is louder, my eyes water even with sunglass/goggles on and there is no way I'm going to give up my full-faced. As far as the look, the only "look" that I care about is my my own puss after an accident, which I hope never happens.

If someone won't wave to you because you don't have the look, who cares. The "look" never interested me anyway. Not a black leather, black T-shirt and black jeans wearing guy anyway. Coat, pants and vest are all denim which for my personal use are more comfortable anyway. The only leather I own is my shoes.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first Harley and I have always used a full face, for as long as they have been around.
I used to race dirt bikes, and then rode crotch rockets. I use my full face for the 25 mile highway
commute to work cuz its been drizzly and cold (for SoCal) lately. I have a nice half helmet for
cruzin around town and have been on the highway with it.

I don't know what kind of full face helmet you guys are using, but the full face helmets I have
are ALWAYS quiet compared to the half helmet. I do hear my engine all the time with the
full face. I can hardly hear the engine with my half helmet when I get over 50 mph cuz the
wind blowing in my ears is deafening.

Going to the EasyRider custom bike show this weekend in San Diego. Will check out all the
latest gear including helmets and winter stuff. Yes even in Socal it get cold on the freeway
in the winter.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 PM
nztbp6
Advanced

I am a semi-converted crotch rocket rider and just bought my first Harley a few weeks ago. I wondered as well how I would be received as a full face helmet wearer, and surprisingly, most of the Harley riders I talked too recommended I stay with the full face for any kind of extended ride (50 miles). I bought my bike in Greenville, SC. and rode it to Frederick, Md. in a weekend and was very glad I took my old full face with me. I can't imagine riding that long without a windshield and having the wind beat you in the face. Not to mention the bugs and stones kicked up from other vehicles. I'm sticking with what got me here For those who don't wave, I'll still be waving back at ya'

Quick Reply: "The look" and Full Face Helmets