General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The look" and Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: "The look" and Full Face Helmets

ORIGINAL: bigdawg29642000

Why is it that Harley riders would be more willing to wave at someone on another harley than someone on another brand of motorcycle?
Heck, I wave at everybody on two wheels and rarely give a care if they wave back. It's only a bike, not a cult. And, I wear my full face helmet year round. My face, my head, my choice. Then again, I never was much for following the pack anyway.

Bill

Old 10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a DOT 1/2 helmet when riding short distances and when it is very hot outside (100+). Most of the time my wife and I wear HD flip up full face helmets and they are not really all that much hotter...

Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

I started with a half helmet, went to a 3/4 and finally bought a full face but it did take a bit of getting used to. I took several short trips around the neighborhood getting the feel of the "bulky" full face and now I couldn't think of wearing anything else. And by the way...I get as many waves as before, not that I count of course.

hb

Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I look at it this way.....

SInce it's so cold that you should wear a full face helmet......

It's too cold for anyone else to be wearing a half helmet......

There won't be anyone to wave at. [8D]

Old 10-26-2005, 08:31 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

The best looking full face helmet is the Simpson black bandit which was Earnharts brand. It is Titanium lined and the shape does not look like a peanut but the shape of a round head. Costs $500.00 but what a beauty.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IL does not have a helmet law. All summer long I rode w/ a black Shoei 3/4 helmet w/ goggles. IL does require eye protection. Now I am back w/ a full face Nolan flip-up helmet.
Strange thing was I got very few waves from Harley riders during the summer (90% of them w/out helmets) but did from most other riders, including crotch rockets (I live in a college town), and excluding Gold Wing riders. Bothered me at first, but then decided, I'm paying for the bike, I bought the helmet, I'm supporting ABATE and their right not to wear one, so screw em!
I'll wear what's comfortable for me and wave at anyone riding (even on little scooters) unless I'm going through a corner or shifting, etc, when I'll give them a head nod.
Being an individual doesn't mean that you always look and act like everyone in the herd. Art

Old 10-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

I always wear a full face helmet. Just never thought a bug looked good enough to eat! As far as waving goes, I wave to EVERYONE on two wheels. Heck, sometimes I even catch myself waving when I am in the cage!

Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a Flip up type Full Face Helmet with a black flip down inner visor for the sun. In the UK it is illegal to have a dark visor in the hours of darkness so the flip up inner visor is great. PC Plod target us for everything rather than go for cage drivers acting like morons.

Sports riders here hate Harley riders with a vengance and will not wave at you and if they are behind you they will overtake you at full bore and very close. (they will grow up some day).

I ride with the lid flipped up most of the time but when it gets cold its nice to have some warmth by closing it down to full face now and again.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM
oldrookie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PWHOG

I wear a Flip up type Full Face Helmet with a black flip down inner visor for the sun. In the UK it is illegal to have a dark visor in the hours of darkness so the flip up inner visor is great.
PWHOG,
What brand of helmet is that? It sounds interesting - I don't think I've seen one with an inner visor.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put down a deposit on my first bike in 18 years, a new FXSTB.
My second purchase will be for a Simpson Outlaw.
I always used a full face, and always will. The only thing different is that this helmet will be flat black.

Quick Reply: "The look" and Full Face Helmets