General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm torn....upgrade my 03' Heritage to a newer Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

Hope u don't mind a sportster guy pitchin in (6'1, 195lbs)

Why don't u trade in the heritage for the new Softail Deluxe with the M8, put some ape's and fishtails n keep the cholo look...better chassis, suspension and of course a better-cooler running engine. If u want more power, jus get a big bore kit with a good cam(check out Fuel moto's M8 big bore kit dyno charts with various cams from S&S, Woods, Zippers etc)

But if you have to have the Road King, then get one with the M8. Its simply better.
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingface
I was in a very similar situation as you. I had a 2003 FatBoy and customized it to fit me perfectly. I started doing a lot of 2-up riding when the little lady started taking a liking to riding so I wanted to upgrade to a King. I found a smoking deal on a 2009 and bought it. Best decision ever. The kicker is, with there being so many used bikes on the market I wasn't getting a decent enough deal to justify selling the FatBoy....plus I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that bike!! I decided to keep it and still have it. I don't ride it as much as the King but I love riding around town on that Fatty. The King does most everything better than the fatboy although the seating position on an old softail is second t none....they balance themselves.

I say buy a King and hold onto that Heritage. She's a beauty and you did a ton of work to it that you'll NEVER get anywhere near what you paid for back should you sell it.

Agree. That is one good looking Heritage. I think you'd miss it. Both of mine are setup solo and the Road King seems heads above the Heritage on the interstate. I like the bags on the King for storage but there are a lot of days I just want to putt around town
on the Heritage. I know I'll never get what it's worth to me on a sale or trade so as long as possible she stays.

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I put 422 progressive shocks in mine and it made a huge difference. It handles better takes the bumps better and does not bottom out

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I was in a similar year model conundrum. I had a 02 Road King Classic and the suspension was worn out and the 88ci was starting to feel anemic. It was either do a full blown motor overhaul, and rebuild the suspension completely, or get a new bike. I loved the bike, but pouring $6k into it, that I would never get back out of it, didn't make any sense. It would still lack features that I wanted like the six speed, GPS, stereo, etc. I bought a new bike and couldn't be happier, but I admit that I still miss the old girl sometimes.

Get the new Road King. If you can swing it, get a new M8 version. It will put you in the latest platform, help retain value and give you more options to upgrade later.

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

I would get the Road King. It is made to tour and brother it does it so well. Set the cruise and let her go all damn day.

I do like your Heritage though. Really nice job on that. Even with the hard bags it looks good, doesn't look out of place at all like some do. If you can swing it, I would keep it and find yourself a nice low mileage late model Road King.

Silidons (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Silidons
Cruiser
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the majority seem to say go for the RK. I intend to keep the bike for a looong time, not sure if I should try for a 103 or a newer 107. I do prefer to have abs though.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Silidons
.............. It seems the majority seem to say go for the RK................
Yep! We're good at helping someone else spend their money!!! LOL

Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Silidons
Cruiser
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Yep! We're good at helping someone else spend their money!!! LOL
Thats the best part right ?!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

If you and your passenger are big people, you may want to go to a touring model.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Silidons
Thanks for all the replies. It seems the majority seem to say go for the RK. I intend to keep the bike for a looong time, not sure if I should try for a 103 or a newer 107. I do prefer to have abs though.
I came off an 02 Road King, and currently ride a 15 SGS. I will say that the 103 has plenty of power to do everything you need to do stock. However, if you plan to make this your forever (or long term) bike, go with the newest one you can responsibly afford. We're always going to want more once we're used to what we have. The M8 really opens the realm of possibilities up. Plenty of riders out there that aren't even doing stage 1 upgrades to them.

Quick Reply: I'm torn....upgrade my 03' Heritage to a newer Road King?