General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how far back do I have to go to NOT get ABS or a hydraulic clutch on a TC103 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Disadvantage of Hydraulic clutch--More parts. Something else that can leak. Heavy Pull.

Advantages: I really don't know. Had to google it and all I got was that it supposedly is more durable and there is no cable to snap.

When I got my 17 Road King the only thing I didn't care for was the Clutch. Relatively Heavy Pull compared to cable and the friction zone doesn't even begin until the lever is released about 80%..As I put miles on I grew accustomed to it and now don't think about it much either way.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
So what are the advantages and disadvantages to a hydraulic clutch? I can imagine lever pull is lighter but is there anything that makes it better or worse than a cable activated clutch?
How would you adjust a hydraulic clutch?
My DL1000 had a hydraulic clutch back in 2002.

Advantages, such as they are, are no friction from a cable to overcome (theoretically giving easier actuation, all other things being equal), and engineers have more options for routing the hydraulic line than a cable.

As for adjustment, yep. None. For better or worse.

Personally, I'm kind of meh on them. I like simple, and I don't see the advantages here outweighing the complexity. As for ease of pull, I've found that using a good, Barnett cable on my ElectraGlide gives me the easiest, smoothest clutch actuation I've ever had on any bike.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

None of that BS on my TC 103 '14 Superglide

Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

This ABS or no ABS thing never ends. But some day there won't be a choice.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Anyone who’s had to smash the brakes hard with an ABS equipped motorcycle knows the benefits of ABS.

The following users liked this post:
Maccam26 (06-11-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

One reason I bought my 2015 RK was that it DIDN'T have the new hydraulic clutch. As far as ABS I could go either way, some of my bikes have it some do not. HD's system seemed kinda complicated and most likely more difficult to service and flush fluid through which I do myself every 2 years. Not sure but I seem to recall it was expensive too like $1,000 because ABS came paired with "security" which I did not want, so I opted out.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Anyone who’s had to smash the brakes hard with an ABS equipped motorcycle knows the benefits of ABS.
Overall I'd say it a benefit but I've experienced situations where it both helped and nearly killed me. Light rain, car pulled out in front of me.. hit an oil patch.. ABS did its thing like it should but even after I got clear of the oil patch the ABS didn't disengage (Probably what its supposed to do since otherwise you would probably lose control if full breaking came back) but it took me a second or two to realize I had to release and re-engage the brakes otherwise I would have just hit the back of the car because of the decreased stopping ability. Or hitting a pothole while coming to a stop and having it engage and again having to realize I need to release and re-engage the break. Probably 99% my fault but in a panic stop realizing what is happening and releasing the break for a moment isn't my first instinct. That being said ABS probably saved me from losing control of the bike. Its just something you need practice with and its hard to simulate to practice. I'm happy to have it though overall. Its probably better with the 2014+ linked brakes.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:35 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

‘16 Road King. No ABS, no keyless stuff, cable clutch.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
. ABS did its thing like it should but even after I got clear of the oil patch the ABS didn't disengage
This has not been my experience at all. Numerous times I've had ABS activate briefly when braking hard and hitting a bump or dip which pulls the weight off the tire or even a small slippery patch, whatever and it de-activates immediately when traction returns. I would think that this is the only way you would design an ABS system.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Both my bikes are cable clutch and No ABS.

I have never owned a motorcycle with ABS, but the technology doesn't scare me. I have worked on ABS systems for years and owned cars and pick-ups with them so they are not black magic to me. The problem I would have with Harley's system is that from what I read the system fails to a no brake system rather than a conventional braking. If that is accurate it seems like a really stupid system to me. I hear of guys having the system fail after they flush the fluid. I don't know whats up with that, but again, if true I just don't need any of it.

I like the cable clutch. Like Omaha, I have a Barnett cable on both bikes. With a quality cable and the easy pull parts they work great. You have adjustment and you are in control of where the friction zone is. The hydraulic clutch is another thing that I have no fear of or issue with. I have been around them and worked on them for years. Here again though, Harley seems to have some trouble getting them right 100%. Most people don't have any issues, but they have sure had some recalls.

Quick Reply: So how far back do I have to go to NOT get ABS or a hydraulic clutch on a TC103 ?