General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank goodness I had a rubber band

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:37 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank goodness I had a rubber band

I am out for a cruise at the top of Palomar Mtn. Stop for a cold water and talking to some locals. Decide it is time to take off for home to watch the Pepsi 400. Fire her up pull out go to shift into second, and nothing... Look down and the shifter is lying on the board. Gawd#$%@it! Pull over check my bags, I got nothing but a rubberband. Had to use that to tie up the shift linkage. Rode 80 miles home.

I 'll be heading to the dealership tomorrow for a new linkage. It is under warranty, but I am sure they will balk at giving me a new one.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thank goodness I had a rubber band

Least ya got'her home,,,,,,I busted a clutch cable once,,,had to wrap the bare cable around my buck knife...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

That's good thinking on your part...got 'er to the house! [sm=smiley20.gif]... rubber bands must be distant cousins to duct tape and bailing wire

Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

Gotta love the inginuity thats sparked from dire straits. In more riding miles than I can remember I have not found myself in a situation that has requiredme to come up with an inventive solution. I hope when my time comes I'm up to the task. But chances are I'll grab the cell, call someone and give them my credit card number.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

I am out for a cruise at the top of Palomar Mtn. Stop for a cold water and talking to some locals. Decide it is time to take off for home to watch the Pepsi 400. Fire her up pull out go to shift into second, and nothing... Look down and the shifter is lying on the board. Gawd#$%@it! Pull over check my bags, I got nothing but a rubberband. Had to use that to tie up the shift linkage. Rode 80 miles home.

I 'll be heading to the dealership tomorrow for a new linkage. It is under warranty, but I am sure they will balk at giving me a new one.
Yup, same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Thank God for cable ties ( I carry a small pack of them where ever I go). I bought a couple of real ball joints ($15 apiece) and replaced the funky Harley ones. All H-D dealer would do is replace the stock ones.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Suki
Advanced

good thinking and glad to hear you made it home ok.
no doubt, rubber bands come in handy!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I kept telling myself to put a tool kit together, but I just never did. Well no more. Funny thing I was looking at the service manual the other night and I glanced at linkage section. Ironic I guess.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had that happen to me twice in less than a year. That factory shift linkage isa joke. Carry a SPARE for sure or the best thing is to replace it with the far superior ball type linkage like they have in the accessory catalog. No more problems then.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Replaced it this morning with HD part #33814-98A. $86! In talking to the parts guy, he says that Landmark makes the linkage for HD. Their price $49. HD marks the part up $36! That is close to 50% - what a joke. The entire piece probably cost all of $12 to make.

I ended up buying 2. One from HD, and one from Lnadmark. Had to get the HD because all their Landmark linkage was sold out. Wonder why.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the infomration. I have a canvas tool bag with some ratchet wrenchs, screw drivers, allen wrenchs, pliers, and a pair of side cutters. I also have some cable ties in there. Sounds like I need to get a spare linkage to put in my bag..... Tool bag sounds like a good title to another thread......

Quick Reply: Thank goodness I had a rubber band