General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's so "Premium" about Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM
m3a1
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the Harley-Davidson Forum.... so the answer is easy. Harley-Davidson is a premium motorcycle. Anywhere else, the answer would be - That depends upon what your definition of 'premium' is.

As I am new to the brand, and since I have come on board after buying a Harley-Davidson that is very 'long in the tooth', I can say with authority that what remains of my particular motorcycle has held up very well despite all the hardships that have been placed upon it. It has good bones and it still having good bones after all the abuse tells me it's a quality machine....and a very simple machine.

No, I did not drink the HD Kool-Aid. I have owned many of the big name brands of motorcycle and found them all to be worthy of ownership and all have been trouble free. What they don't offer are all the wonderful options that HD does; options to personalize the motorcycle and make it your own. While that may place some limitations on the execution of a design, it is something for a manufacturer to consider when bringing a product to market because those sales that take place AFTER the initial purchase are important to companies like HD. Produce a design that is set in stone, on a platform that requires little or no maintenance then the only money to be made changes hands when the buyer buys the motorcycle. So there is some real marketing genius going on here which extends right down to the type of lighting in the showroom to bring out the best look of the motorcycle (and like a jewelry store, there is an actual science to the lighting that is being applied there.)

So far, from what little time I have spent with the dealership I am seeing that Harley-Davidson thoroughly understands the concept of branding, right down to the last little nut and bolt. So if an owner wants authentic HD hardware, well, they have it for you! It's a good business model and there is not one thing wrong with that. Some consumers need that kind of reassurance (but a grade 8 bolt is a grade 8 bolt is a grade 8 bolt....24/7/365) so Harley-Davidson is there for them.

And then there all the other little things that go on that build loyalty to the brand. Nothing wrong with that either. Business is business.

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (04-13-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,493 Likes on 2,793 Posts

Generally speaking most of those knowledgeable bikers that own rides other than MoCo suffer from inferiority (ride) complexes that Freud would likely have identified as akin to ***** envy!

Japanese and German machines are examples of superb engineering-no question! However, they are hardly Davidsons in the respect of the many intangible aspects that attracts that unique individual to Harley Davidson. It is not the machine that makes Harley Davidson unique-it is the character of the people that buy them!

Old 04-10-2019, 03:50 PM
m3a1
Cruiser

or that...

Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
m3a1
Cruiser

Drank the kool-aid, didn't ya?

The following users liked this post:
2wheelwanderer (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by assiniboine
Generally speaking most of those knowledgeable bikers that own rides other than MoCo suffer from inferiority (ride) complexes that Freud would likely have identified as akin to ***** envy!

Japanese and German machines are examples of superb engineering-no question! However, they are hardly Davidsons in the respect of the many intangible aspects that attracts that unique individual to Harley Davidson. It is not the machine that makes Harley Davidson unique-it is the character of the people that buy them!
Oh brother!

How, specifically, would you describe the character of the people who buy them? Personally, I've known some that were stand up individuals and I've known some that were flat out bozos. I don't think there is any one group that buys them.

Last edited by Halojumper; 04-10-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:04 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

Aren't BMW's, Indians, and Wings about the same price as a new Harley? If a person bought something other than a Harley for the same amount of money, wasn't that a conscious decision rather than a that's the best he could do given his financial situation? I don't think there is as much envy of the Harley brand as what you think. They're nice bikes but they're not desired or special to everyone.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:12 PM
bbuckis
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman50
I'll slow way down every few miles and let you catch up. We can do a side by side then. I like both my bikes....that said, I do find it amusing the things that people say without any knowledge about what they say. Instead of listening to someone who actually has 2 similar bikes and tells you one is built better, runs better and costs WAYYYYYY LESS from day one.
But hey, they talk dumb **** about Harley's over at the Yamaha raider forum too.
Because they don't agree with your opinion, they don't have any knowledge about what they say?

Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,493 Likes on 2,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Oh brother!

How, specifically, would you describe the character of the people who buy them? Personally, I've known some that were stand up individuals and I've known some that were flat out bozos. I don't think there is any one group that buys them.
Really?

For starters, the HDFORUMS might prove u wrong, eh?

Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

All I will say is if you dont like it dont buy it. Or sell it and move on

Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

THREADJACK

Hey polbit - you ever wanna unload that Z900 mentioned in a previous post, shoot me a PM! No test ride required. Rode one of those and I was hooked. Always wanted one for my own.

Quick Reply: What's so "Premium" about Harley?