Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Lighting Problem (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1281134-lighting-problem.html)

Daniel Longtin 04-24-2019 10:43 PM

Lighting Problem

Hello all,
So, I have this weird lighting problem... The right side tail light doesn't stay on, but it will light up when I hit the break or the blinker. I have checked the fuses and they are all good and the wires look to be in good shape as well. Any advice or ideas?

99Birdman 04-24-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Longtin (Post 18209206)
Hello all,
So, I have this weird lighting problem... The right side tail light doesn't stay on, but it will light up when I hit the break or the blinker. I have checked the fuses and they are all good and the wires look to be in good shape as well. Any advice or ideas?

1157 bulb. Change the bulb.

Daniel Longtin 04-24-2019 10:57 PM

I haven't tried that... I will have to go buy a new bulb if it was something as simple as that I'm going to feel dumb haha!

IArider1 04-25-2019 12:09 AM

its a dual filament bulb. The running light filament burnt up

RANGER73 04-25-2019 05:19 AM

The running light like said is a separate filament.
If the new bulb doesn't fix it, check the contact in the socket.
If that doesn't work start tracing the wire back looking for a break in the wire.
All the running lights come from a common point and use their own wire, not the brake/turn wire.

K9F 04-25-2019 06:09 AM

‘Christmas Tree’ Lighting I call it is indicative of a bad earth/ground path that finds an easier route to earth/ground if another lighting circuit is active and another path with less resistive value is brought into the mix. Check your earth/ground paths first would be my advice.

hdbob2006 04-25-2019 08:52 AM

He could check for a non-existent ground problem,when he removes the bad bulb.

MilsurpShooter 04-25-2019 09:09 AM

Mechanic friend of mine is always trying to drill it into my head, the three S's. Start Simple Stupid. I have a tendency to have something minor happen, hear a new noise that I'm not used to in just about anything, and work it up into my head until I'm under the assumption that I'll need to buy a new truck/bike. When all it is could be a loose nut or bolt.

So, as said above, dual filament bulbs, one has constant current while riding, other get's current when you activate the brakes/blinker. If one works and not the other? Chances are filament crapped out, change out the bulb and then test it. You did the most simple by checking the fuses, now move on to the next simple step of bulb replacement, if it doesn't work, then you can start working your way towards the more complicated and more labor intensive diagnostics and fixes.

0maha 04-25-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Longtin (Post 18209232)
I haven't tried that... I will have to go buy a new bulb if it was something as simple as that I'm going to feel dumb haha!

Don't ever feel dumb.

Everything is simple once you figure out what it is.

470004 04-26-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 18209972)
Don't ever feel dumb.

Everything is simple once you figure out what it is.

Agree.