General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Stupid is as Stupid does"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
You mean, a bunch of freedom fighters supporting the helmet-less bandwagon saying we should all be free to ride however we want and damn the man for making me wear a helmet aside from the increase in potential negative consequences? Is that how you thought it would go?

I swear to God if I was ever on the hook for paying for some braindead dolt on life support for not wearing a helmet from a motorcycle crash I'd pull the plug myself.
Just as easy for those who don't ride to say, I'll pull the plug on any biker regardless if they wore all the " right stuff" they chose to ride a motorcycle ... The brainless Dolts

Lol

Haole

Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
It is a matter of where you draw the line my friend. If you want to be really safe, heck, don't do either. I will guarantee you, someone leaving tomorrow morning to go to work in a car will never make it to work. Or for that matter, from work to home. So with your line of thinking, then it is way better to never leave your house.

So why don't we all get those work at home jobs. Maybe what you are saying is that no one should ever ride a bike or get in a car? I am not advocating that.

It seems QN, you may be taking something I said out of proportion or its intent. I would never say never ever to ride a bike. Heck, that alone would make me a hypocrite.
No, I was commenting on your tirade about how safe it is to ride with a helmet versus without. You highlighted that statistics show helmeted riders are more likely to survive a crash than non-helmeted ones. No argument - that's an absolute fact. Then I pointed out that statistics also show that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car - also an absolute fact.

You think I've misinterpreted you, and perhaps I have. But I also think you may have misinterpreted me...

Every single day, each of us wake up and decide how much risk we're willing to take that day. Maybe it's riding like a banshee with no helmet, flip-flops, and shorts in rush hour traffic. Maybe it's staying locked in your bedroom with the shades drawn. Most of us choose somewhere between those two extremes.

I am a father with two kids still at home. One will be out of the house soon, but one is only 12. I have ridden a motorcycle for all of both of their lives. I nearly always wear a DOT approved half helmet (nearly always), always wear boots, always wear long pants, but not always all the gear. If I should die, my wife will receive a tick over a million to carry on. It won't replace having a husband and father, but it will mean their lives don't have to take a nosedive financially. That's how I, me, personally handle my personal life and my personal risk. I don't approve of riding lidless, in shorts and flip flops, etc. However, I don't pretend to cast stones either.

Calling the deceased stupid because they weren't wearing helmets - even if it were a known fact that they both died from head trauma - is judgemental and, to a point, hypocritical. To me, at least, doing so without the benefit of any information as to the cause of death is stupid.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by HAOLE
Just as easy for those who don't ride to say, I'll pull the plug on any biker regardless if they wore all the " right stuff" they chose to ride a motorcycle ... The brainless Dolts

Lol

Haole
Valid point.

with perfect irony if the non-rider was 350 lbs with an equally high cholesterol and hypertension and only one cheeseburger away from a stroke.

The following users liked this post:
HAOLE (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
No, I was commenting on your tirade about how safe it is to ride with a helmet versus without. You highlighted that statistics show helmeted riders are more likely to survive a crash than non-helmeted ones. No argument - that's an absolute fact. Then I pointed out that statistics also show that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car - also an absolute fact.

You think I've misinterpreted you, and perhaps I have. But I also think you may have misinterpreted me...

Every single day, each of us wake up and decide how much risk we're willing to take that day. Maybe it's riding like a banshee with no helmet, flip-flops, and shorts in rush hour traffic. Maybe it's staying locked in your bedroom with the shades drawn. Most of us choose somewhere between those two extremes.

I am a father with two kids still at home. One will be out of the house soon, but one is only 12. I have ridden a motorcycle for all of both of their lives. I nearly always wear a DOT approved half helmet (nearly always), always wear boots, always wear long pants, but not always all the gear. If I should die, my wife will receive a tick over a million to carry on. It won't replace having a husband and father, but it will mean their lives don't have to take a nosedive financially. That's how I, me, personally handle my personal life and my personal risk. I don't approve of riding lidless, in shorts and flip flops, etc. However, I don't pretend to cast stones either.

Calling the deceased stupid because they weren't wearing helmets - even if it were a known fact that they both died from head trauma - is judgemental and, to a point, hypocritical. To me, at least, doing so without the benefit of any information as to the cause of death is stupid.
Gotcha.........well said my friend, well said.

I did wonder about the details of the accident. anytime I hear abt an accident I always wonder, COULD it have been prevented. Who did what? What should have been done, etc.... strictly for 2 reasons. 1. What can be learned by this horrible event? 2. Looking at issues, helps (at least for me) to keep me in "check" to do all the right things and not daydream looking off into the yonder....

Valid point.

with perfect irony if the non-rider was 350 lbs with an equally high cholesterol and hypertension and only one cheeseburger away from a stroke.
LOL!!!! WOW Mattb'd....right, that is a whole other story and VERY on target I would say. And a good reason why throwing stones is not likely a good route to go. And on that matter, no one really knows what you (you personally or me or QNM or anyone else) has gone thru in life and what THEIR REALITY is. From the other persons viewpoint, what someone says or does is from their reality. You (me/us) as an observer IMHO should/can observe and not to judge after that.

I likely judged above and if so am trying not to do that. Toss into the ring information that others can look at and do what they want with, fine. But not judge. Good point Mattb'd, gd pt.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:32 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Valid point.

The Vegetarians would pull the plug (course I'ma vagitarian myself)

LOL

Haole