Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Riding boots (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1283823-riding-boots.html)

svshaw82 05-13-2019 11:22 AM

Riding boots

Hey guys,
Looking for suggestions on riding boots. Anything better then others? Im trying to find something that's cost effective and comfortable for riding my 1949 panhead.

Keithhu 05-13-2019 11:41 AM

I have a pair of Bates boots that I like. Lace up + zipper on the side.

RK_Classic 05-13-2019 11:43 AM

I went with wellington work boots, I like them. Do a search and their are plenty of threads on boots.

rk classic.

0maha 05-13-2019 11:44 AM

1949 Panhead and you aren't sharing pics?!? Come on, man. Gotta see that thing!

(Not that it makes any difference on what boots to wear.)

FWIW, I've had a pair of Red Wing Engineer boots for years. They work for me.

But this is one of those things where everyone is going to have an opinion, and mostly those opinions are going to be "I bought this or that, so it's the best!!"

1LargeDog 05-13-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 18253284)
I have a pair of Bates boots that I like. Lace up + zipper on the side.

Ill second the Bates boots. I wear the Raide warm weather model with lace and side zip. Most comfortable for me at least. Other opinions may vary.

One Wire 05-13-2019 11:57 AM

Since comfort is relative to whomever is wearing, I won't make any brand recommendations. What I will recommend, though, is to get some boots that have a zipper on the side. It makes it so much easier and faster to put them on/take them off. But, maybe I like them like that because I am old, and really like to minimize the time I spend bending down. :icon_biggrin:

JakeC7R 05-13-2019 11:59 AM

I have been lusting after these Merlin Drax boots in the brown/olive color, I just need to convince myself I need them even though I don't LOL

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/merlin-drax-boots

JABMIKE 05-13-2019 12:02 PM

I have been wearing Redback boots for a couple yrs. Very comfortable. No laces or zippers

rkc915 05-13-2019 12:15 PM

I wear Chippewa steel toe engineer boots. I like the way they feel and are comfortable to walk around in.

Monkeypuncher 05-13-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by svshaw82 (Post 18253225)
Hey guys,
Looking for suggestions on riding boots. Anything better then others? Im trying to find something that's cost effective and comfortable for riding my 1949 panhead.

The most cost effective boots are at your local Army/Navy store. About $100 for a quality boot.

Malleck 05-13-2019 12:22 PM

Add another vote for Redwings.
I love mine.

RHPAW 05-13-2019 12:24 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ocs_sandal.gif

cruisn 05-13-2019 12:50 PM

It comes down to personal preference. I like the look of actual boots to wear with jeans so I went with HD Monty boots. They're very comfortable. My only gripe is the top of my left boot shows scratches from the gear shifter which are noticeable. But oh well.

I also own a pair of Puma Testastretta II that I wore during my sportbike days. I'll still wear those with casual clothes. Very durable. I've had those for 5+ years and they're still in great shape.

Lunchboxx 05-13-2019 01:05 PM

Hey guys,

I wear the same boots I wear to work. Danner Quarry's. I love them

5wheels 05-13-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 18253296)
1949 Panhead and you aren't sharing pics?!? Come on, man. Gotta see that thing!"

:icon_that::icon_worthless:

MiniWolf 05-13-2019 01:48 PM

Boots are for wusses. Did Jax Teller and Opie wear girly man boots? Nope. Real hardcore riders wear Chuck Taylor Allstars.

cruisn 05-13-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MiniWolf (Post 18253590)
Boots are for wusses. Did Jax Teller and Opie wear girly man boots? Nope. Real hardcore riders wear Chuck Taylor Allstars.

They get too dirty.

Hdbkstl 05-13-2019 03:14 PM

I opted for riding shoes. I got the TCX AIR and they are awesome. Just as much protection as most boots, but flat soled and tons of perf. They are like the chuck taylors, only with a ton of protection.

adm 05-13-2019 03:19 PM

Depends what you want really.....

If you are happy with work boots, then great.

If you want properly designed boots for motorcycling then the choices are different. Look at Daytona, TCX and Forma for some excellent motorcycle boots. There are also many others, but my take on it os to go to a company that only makes motorcycle boots.

GoreTex (or similar) is good in motorcycle boots if you plan on doing much touring riding. Just like motorcycle jeans, companies are now laminating the GoreTex membrane directly to the leather now as opposed to having a liner. It works better on jeans, but I'm not sure about boots yet.

If you ride in the heat a lot, there are also now GoreTex boots with really good venting (kind of like a mesh jacket for your feet). See TCX and Forma here. They look pretty cool and I may go and try some.

adm 05-13-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl (Post 18253782)
I opted for riding shoes. I got the TCX AIR and they are awesome. Just as much protection as most boots, but flat soled and tons of perf. They are like the chuck taylors, only with a ton of protection.

TCX make excellent motorcycle boots.

HDman13 05-13-2019 03:31 PM

If you are used to wearing cowboy boots daily like me then try a pair of Chippewa Rally boots. I just bought a pair a few months back and really like them. They feel like cowboy boots, but motorcycle specific protection. Also have vibram soles and won’t slip off in a crash. Only downside is they require a lot of breaking in, and they are expensive. Picked mine up here used but like new for cheap. I’m still guilty of just riding in the double H boots though. Hate to think about them coming off in a crash. My advice is buy something similar to what you normally wear off the bike, but motorcycle specific.

indiandave 05-13-2019 03:40 PM

Your best bet is to try on a few different pairs. What fits me may not fit you. For the record, I have a pair of White’s logger boots and a pair of Chippewa engineering boots. Both well made and comfortable.

lonesum 05-13-2019 03:50 PM

Been wearin nastyfeet since the '80s wife just threw 3 pairs down from the attic. I guess I'll have to find a cobbler to re-sole them. The originals were from Georgia Boot, not sure who might make em now

470004 05-13-2019 04:15 PM

Engineering boots.

duoglider 05-13-2019 04:38 PM

I've been wearing a pair of custom made Dehner boots since the 80's. They've been thru a few sole & heel changes but they're still going strong 30 some-odd years later. They're a bit pricey now though. But they bring the mojo and class big time.

svshaw82 05-13-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 18253296)
1949 Panhead and you aren't sharing pics?!? Come on, man. Gotta see that thing!

(Not that it makes any difference on what boots to wear.)

FWIW, I've had a pair of Red Wing Engineer boots for years. They work for me.

But this is one of those things where everyone is going to have an opinion, and mostly those opinions are going to be "I bought this or that, so it's the best!!"

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...157dbc124e.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...1c41ffc37a.jpg
it was my dads. He passed last July.

Cryptoboy 05-13-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by svshaw82 (Post 18254099)

Stunning!

I just bought a pair of Red Wing boots (zipper on the side and laces). I had a similar pair several years ago and they didn't disappoint when I got back into riding last fall!

Jehu 05-13-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by svshaw82 (Post 18254099)

My condolences for your loss; nice Pan!

svshaw82 05-13-2019 05:56 PM

Much appreciated, and thank you all for the replies! Lots of good info to take in. I'll be looking up all mentioned just to get a feel of what I should be looking for. You guys are all awesome!

hairymoth 05-13-2019 06:11 PM

I bought these. Pretty good compromise: reasonable quality and reasonable price:

(This is the only branded item I own, the brand is not visible)

TheMurf 05-13-2019 10:21 PM

Riding Boots

If you like a riding boot, I recommend Chippewa 12 inch rally boots. Easy on, leather is very thick, leather lined, vibram soles, Velcro pulls, shifter pad on top of toe. Very nice full Leather riding Boots.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...251d9455b.jpeg

Josh2021 05-14-2019 12:21 AM

I love Thorogood wedge boots. Made in the USA as well as union made. I also wear a pair for work every night as well.

decencyxdefied 05-14-2019 07:34 AM

ride to work with my red rings, wear them at work, ride home with them. I have to have steel toe and electrical hazard boots. Ive tried boots from all the local Houston retailers. My job pays for $130 of my expense , I get a new pair every year . My go to has been red wings the last 3 years. I dont pay attention to what model they are. Ive had lace up and slip on and each style has done the job

rick601 05-14-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by adm (Post 18253793)
Depends what you want really.....

If you are happy with work boots, then great.

If you want properly designed boots for motorcycling then the choices are different. Look at Daytona, TCX and Forma for some excellent motorcycle boots. There are also many others, but my take on it os to go to a company that only makes motorcycle boots.

GoreTex (or similar) is good in motorcycle boots if you plan on doing much touring riding. Just like motorcycle jeans, companies are now laminating the GoreTex membrane directly to the leather now as opposed to having a liner. It works better on jeans, but I'm not sure about boots yet.

If you ride in the heat a lot, there are also now GoreTex boots with really good venting (kind of like a mesh jacket for your feet). See TCX and Forma here. They look pretty cool and I may go and try some.

THIS^^^ I have Daytona and really like them But absolutely a motorcycle boot for riding a motorcycle riding...seems obvious to me! Work boots for working motorcycle boots for riding dress shoes for funerals!

BuzzCap7 05-14-2019 11:22 AM

Hey guys,

I would recommend customizing your own boots. See below.

I know you said something that is cost effective but there are some advantages here and they last a very, very long time. Besides there is nothing wrong with treating yourself every once in a while.

The boots below were made by www.RocketBuster.com out of El Paso and they did a great job.

You design whatever design you would like as well as colors, the shape of the toe, the heel, etc. It is totally 100% customizable. And you do not need to use the "exotic" leathers like elephant or sharkskin or snake or etc.

But comfort is terrific because it is customized to your exact feet. And your feet are likely not the same left and right.

See the notations under each photo that I made for you.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...b1c533ccda.png

Where the lime green is, in my initials. They are done in mild script with a gold background. They are on the inside of both boots. (The outside of the boot but on the inside if you know what I mean by looking at the picture.)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...dac814e0c8.jpg

The boots are dirty because I just came back from a 400 mile ride and I was hitting a lot of love bugs here in Florida.

Because my inseam is short (29 inches) I had them add what I circled above to give me additional height which helps a lot. But it does not make me look like Frankenstein.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a7a66b037b.jpg

I asked them to give me the large luy Vibram sole and heel BOTH. This will give me a better grip because I ride a bagger.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...4bb49f0ee2.jpg

Again my friend, notice the green arrow head. I asked them to give me a little extension all around both of the boots so I have a little more coverage on the ground and help with friction and not sliding. As you can see they did a fantastic job.

If you notice the stitching, they complement the colors of the boots.

I ride every day often times in the upper 80° and low 90° of the South Florida Sun. I ride in the rain and especially love the torrential downpour. Not often does want to get through the torrential downpour but it dries out pretty quickly surprisingly.

These boots are about 4 years old and have honestly taken a massive beating and as you can see are holding up extremely well.

You can even ride out there to El Paso although you do not need to and have them measure your feet for you. Otherwise they will send you directions on how to do it. And it really is not difficult.

Life is short. I do not think there is anything wrong with treating yourself every once in a while. It was a lot of fun to customize these boots. And I love wearing them literally every day in any kind of weather.

Mark out West 05-14-2019 11:52 AM

Try to get a CE-rated boot. I know from experience, and my ortho surgeon telling me after the fact:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...633e847bc8.jpg

Upside? No need for a cast when you're screwed together.

BuzzCap7 05-14-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mark out West (Post 18256013)
Try to get a CE-rated boot. I know from experience, and my ortho surgeon telling me after the fact:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...633e847bc8.jpg

Upside? No need for a cast when you're screwed together.

What does CE Rated mean?

Keithhu 05-14-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7 (Post 18256124)
What does CE Rated mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_boot

Jehu 05-14-2019 04:58 PM

The challenge in motorcycle boots is protection versus comfort - and I mean comfort walking around, not necessarily on the bike where most boots are generally comfortable. Boots that provide the most protection are for the most part, the most rigid inflexible heavy boots - think ski boots and really good moto-cross boots. Try walking around, even a little bit, in either ski boots or moto-cross boots! Now imagine yourself at a rally where you are off the bike as much, if not more in many cases, than you are on the bike. Comfortable shoes for standing and walking around are needed; generally these provide far less protection than is appropriate.

I won't even get into the who "style" thing because there are so many opinions. Some want super fancy racing boots to look the part while others look for an old pair of engineer boots that have been drug behind a bike for a few miles so they can look like an old ragged biker. Let us not forget those who like sneakers for riding.

So, if you're like me and want some protection, but so much that boots are uncomfortable for walking compromises have to be made. If you're like me and want a more "traditional" look - it further complicates things.

The sadly discontinued Chippewa rally boots mentioned previously in this thread are great and they thread the needle between two of my other favorites: the Danner Super Rain Forrest and the StylMartin Matrix boots. The former has laces if that matters to you - it does not to me. Mind you, this is for "Harley Riding" which, to me at least, is either touring or cruising. For "Adventure Riding" I do like the Forma Boulder boots which are stiff but provide better protection, can still be walked in and have a flat "trials" sole for moving around on the pegs - which I do not do on my Harleys.

All that being said, I've gone thousands and thousands of miles attending many, many rallys and events with good quality "work boots" which, along with the Grace of God, protected by dogs.

Crazy as it may sound, good protective boots and and pair of walking shoes in the sadddlebags is not a bad way to roll.

adm 05-15-2019 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jehu (Post 18256721)
Crazy as it may sound, good protective boots and and pair of walking shoes in the sadddlebags is not a bad way to roll.

Doesn't sound crazy at all - and it's exactly what I do. Proper protective gear for the long ride to the destination, but then I don't want to walk around in it, so I pack a pair of Merrell walking sandals and a pair of shorts!