General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Suddenly my bike is limited to 105 mph !

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

If my bike would not go over 105mph, I would not be happy and would wonder what is wrong with it too. Sorry, if that makes me immature, but I am always amazed at these threads where everyone has to come in say they “never ride over 65mph and why would anyone ever do such a thing?” Way too many judgmental people on here. Not everyone is happy just putting along being passed by every car on the road or having a long string of cars behind you.

i wish I could help with ideas on what might be going on, but I have a rev limiter only, no speed limiter I would probably call a good Dyno shop and ask. Might be able to get a PV tuner key cheap and bypass the speed limiter.

Last edited by txphatboy; 05-17-2019 at 07:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by txphatboy:
Dan D. (05-18-2019), on3wego (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Grateful Fred
I agree about the speed, but I think it's more about the principle of him not getting his bike back in the same working condition as it was before without any explanation or remediation from the dealer.
I agree altering his bike was BS. Not what it was brought there for I am guessing.

Guessing maybe some update for whatever firmware they have. So dealer probably thought doing good, but the factory over stepped their bounds.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

The dealers probably routinely update the firmware if it's recommended by the company. If it doesn't advise you of this in the work order you sign, it should. Anyone who is concerned about their bike being updated could, ya know, ask ahead of time and decline if they don't want it.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelerza (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:47 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaglider
Called harley they told me it was the limier, And was told that they could not deactivated that the only way to override it is to go with the aftermarket tuto and was told that they could not deactivate it that the only way to override it is to go with the aftermarket tuner and that the V&H FP3 would not over ride the limiter
Just a heads up that as of this past Tuesday's app update, the M8 Speed Limiter can be disabled for the purposes of closed course competition or dyno runs. It's located under the Map Optimizations menu, as well as the General menu under the View/Edit maps screen. OEM setting is enabled, flicking the switch to the OFF position and flashing it to the bike will allow for more exuberant racing or dyno runs.

Bryan
Brand Manager Electronics

The following 4 users liked this post by vanceandhines:
GalvTexGuy (05-20-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (05-17-2019), nevada72 (05-18-2019), QNman (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I've been over a hundred a few times out in Nowhere Nevada cruising at 80 and having to pass a cage going just a bit slower than me. And my bike is still pulling pretty hard at that speed as well and very stable.
kk

Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,852 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Maybe your bike is trying to tell you something......or, your guardian angel.

The following users liked this post:
Malleck (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by vanceandhines
Just a heads up that as of this past Tuesday's app update, the M8 Speed Limiter can be disabled for the purposes of closed course competition or dyno runs. It's located under the Map Optimizations menu, as well as the General menu under the View/Edit maps screen. OEM setting is enabled, flicking the switch to the OFF position and flashing it to the bike will allow for more exuberant racing or dyno runs.

Bryan
Here's your answer OP. Cheap and easy. I love my FP3.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Aaaah, so what they did was "upgrade" your bike to require that you buy something to make it run like it used to. Hmmmm. First a chip in your bike, next a chip in your brain. Confusion will be our epitaph.
Always really liked that album. Got it not long after it came out, and have it on the USB stick for my bike.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by vanceandhines

Bryan
And there's probably a lot of liability one would place on oneself by doing this. You know all those questions on every document you ever fill out that ask, "Is this vehicle used for off-road or competition?" I'm guessing that when an insurance company/police department is investigating a wreck, and they look at the ECM and see that this particular option is selected/de-selected, it'll raise some flags that would be hard to fight. And if you lose that battle, you're responsible for all damages out-of-pocket and would be facing insurance fraud too (assuming you said the bike wouldn't be used for competition purposes).

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-20-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
And there's probably a lot of liability one would place on oneself by doing this. You know all those questions on every document you ever fill out that ask, "Is this vehicle used for off-road or competition?" I'm guessing that when an insurance company/police department is investigating a wreck, and they look at the ECM and see that this particular option is selected/de-selected, it'll raise some flags that would be hard to fight. And if you lose that battle, you're responsible for all damages out-of-pocket and would be facing insurance fraud too (assuming you said the bike wouldn't be used for competition purposes).
That would depend entirely on the specifics of the accident. If the reconstructionist can show the vehicle was traveling at speeds in excess of 105 MPH, then it may. Otherwise, it's a non-issue. Or at best,a red herring for some attorney to chase (assuming he knew to look for that data).

Quick Reply: WTF? Suddenly my bike is limited to 105 mph !