General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sons Friend wants a Sporty, What year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Bingo! This is always the very first question anyone should ask.
Every
Friggen
Time
I dont get it... Is riding a sporty really that hard? Lol ... I mean I was handed 2 strokes that would rip my arms off at 13... anyone else tired of the old mantra? Heck I had snow mobiles with more torque than a 1200... Dont get all the pussification.

Now... Dealing with azz hat cagers... Do get!

The following 2 users liked this post by cj24:
back again (05-24-2019), Sorce (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,493 Likes on 11,215 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Bingo! This is always the very first question anyone should ask.
Every
Friggen
Time
Yea, he's an expert off-road rider but little seat time street riding.
Back in the day, a Sportster would be unheard of as a beginner bike.

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (05-26-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 PM
cj24
Road Master

Originally Posted by upflying
Yea, he's an expert off-road rider but little seat time street riding.
Back in the day, a Sportster would be unheard of as a beginner bike.
Hmm..had. Good number of friends riding ninjas at 16 in 88 that would eat a 48 alive today.

I had a 650 polaris snow mobile... and.bored out out tri z 250 that would eat it alive as well.. It's all about.weight yes?

Old 05-24-2019, 09:36 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,493 Likes on 11,215 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
Hmm..had. Good number of friends riding ninjas at 16 in 88 that would eat a 48 alive today.

I had a 650 polaris snow mobile... and.bored out out tri z 250 that would eat it alive as well.. It's all about.weight yes?
Glad to hear you have a lot of 16 yr old friends riding Ninja's and Gixxers. There is certainly a lot of common sense and proper decision making in that age group.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 PM
cj24
Road Master

Glad to hear you have a lot of 16 yr old friends riding Ninja's and Gixxers. There is certainly a lot of common sense and proper decision making in that age group.
Im just pointing out a sporty is not a rocket ship. The mantra that you need to start out on a moped and work up to a sportster is silly. It's like you need to pay your "dues" before you are allowed to ride a harley... It's a bunch of crap...

The real danger are the cars around you mostly

Also, If a guy is an azz hat behind the wheel of his car... Then likely he is on the bike as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by cj24:
Lvrgsp (05-25-2020), Sorce (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,163 Likes on 8,946 Posts

Please don’t disrespect the Organ Donors..... us old guys need the parts inventory.

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
AJSHOVEL (05-26-2019), bentparts (05-31-2019), Campy Roadie (05-29-2019), iamcmf99 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 PM
cj24
Road Master

Listen... Im almost 50... I take my safety seriously.. But also have done a lot of dangerous jobs... And I guess grew up when the norm of things may seem crazy to most now.

But I cant stand the prima dona litmus test that folks throw on new or even experienced riders asking about buying a harley.

Fact... All these old dogs that throw these litmus tests up to the younger folk I bet took bigger risks than todays generation. Back then there was no MSF class. And us kids riding the 2 strokes and street bikes back then was NORMAL.. and news flash outside of this forum.. It is prevalent today.

But things have improved... Equipment and education is better. But dont be fooled... These old riders today grew up on more dangerous rides that in many cases were handed to them. And you really dont have the right to preach to anyone or throw litmus tests down

Old 05-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

I've been around long enough to remember when motorcycles were dangerous and sex was safe!
Today's brakes and tires are better; don't flame me - but even the bikes are better now.
That being said, the car drivers are WAAAAAY worse! Folks used to take driving seriously; sure they'd be temporarily distracted if they dropped their cigarette or spilled some beer ... but today's drivers? The only pick their heads up out of their phones long enough to catch an occasional glance at the road - then back to their phones!
If all of this weren't enough, people are living longer - and driving longer. I had a half-blind 82 year old darned near kill me pulling out of his driveway back in 2010.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM
cj24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jehu
I've been around long enough to remember when motorcycles were dangerous and sex was safe!
Today's brakes and tires are better; don't flame me - but even the bikes are better now.
That being said, the car drivers are WAAAAAY worse! Folks used to take driving seriously; sure they'd be temporarily distracted if they dropped their cigarette or spilled some beer ... but today's drivers? The only pick their heads up out of their phones long enough to catch an occasional glance at the road - then back to their phones!
If all of this weren't enough, people are living longer - and driving longer. I had a half-blind 82 year old darned near kill me pulling out of his driveway back in 2010.
All true!!
Yes, the congestion, speed, distracted drivers and just basic civility on the road today is nothing short of chaos. Absolutely horrible... heck even the grandma's tail gate me whIle on the bike. I avoid bad roads and times of day as much as I can...

Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
All true!!
Yes, the congestion, speed, distracted drivers and just basic civility on the road today is nothing short of chaos. Absolutely horrible... heck even the grandma's tail gate me whIle on the bike. I avoid bad roads and times of day as much as I can...
Basic civility? BASIC CIVILITY?? Man you must be old! That went out with leaded gas and baseball players on TV telling us that cigarettes were good for you - aiding digestion if I remember correctly.

In the northeast one only needs a horn and a middle finger to drive; in south Florida - you get the courtesy of neither from drivers!

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (05-29-2019)

Quick Reply: My Sons Friend wants a Sporty, What year?