General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage or Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 11:50 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Nope, not the two-tone root beer. That was a great scheme, from longer ago. Talking about the one pictured below.

Ah. Okay. Your right! That is ***! Probably be worth a fortune in a bunch of years though cause NOBODY will buy it.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Heritage. I like riding in the bike, not on it.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:11 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Heritage. I like riding in the bike, not on it.
I've owned a Sportie, a Fat Boy, and a Road King and I have no idea what that "in the bike not on it" phrase (that you hear a lot) actually means.

The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (02-10-2021)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I've owned a Sportie, a Fat Boy, and a Road King and I have no idea what that "in the bike not on it" phrase (that you hear a lot) actually means.
Basically it means you sit lower in the frame so it feels like you're more "in" the bike than on it. Your Fat Boy would be the closest to this of all three. Go sit on a Yamaha Raider to really get the idea.

tngarren (01-17-2021)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I bought a new RK back when, and loved the look, even better than my Heritage, but didn't feel like I was part of the bike. More like I was hovering over it...just felt odd. Felt like I had a high center of gravity, where with the Heritage, I felt part of the ensemble, low-down and dirty, kicked-back, one with the bike, you might say.

tngarren (01-17-2021)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
I bought a new RK back when, and loved the look, even better than my Heritage, but didn't feel like I was part of the bike. More like I was hovering over it...just felt odd. Felt like I had a high center of gravity, where with the Heritage, I felt part of the ensemble, low-down and dirty, kicked-back, one with the bike, you might say.
Well, bikes are a real individual thing. I LOVED my Fat Boy, but I REALLY love my Road King. The Road King fits my skinny butt perfectly and I feel very much as one with the bike. As indeed I did with the Fat Boy. The Sportster, not so much. High center of gravity and not nearly as friendly as the Fatty or the King.

FunGramps (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

As a newcomer to this forum, I would add my 2 cents worth. The Slim is a blast for my frame - 5’ 5 “, 145 lbs., 63 years young. Coming from a civilian Moto cross history but too old for that now, a perfectly entertaining and fun bike. But I just moved into a new Road King from a Heritage. The Heritage is a wonderful performer and very nimble. But I needed more of a “road bike”. Thought the RK might be too heavy / big, etc. This was a good move for me. I am still smiling after two days of riding hard on this bike. Thanks again to all who offered opinions and advice. Man, I love this bike!!

SWFLGuy (05-31-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 01:55 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats, enjoy it!!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

Jon - you are a lucky man. Wish I could have kept a couple of my previous bikes.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:35 PM
ron davis
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the game, But just went from a 12 Heritage to a 18 RK. Road King hands down better bike. But are comparing apples to oranges. I think the best bike HD has is the New Heritage 114. Rides like a metric. The only thing I don't like about the King is the rear suspension, too tight for me. But my old bike had an air ride suspension, so I need to upgrade. The King is a bit more difficult in slow speed or tight spaces, and I had to get use to a different clutch, but the friction zone will work on any size bike. To me, the King is better at the corners because it sits higher, and man, on the freeway, there is no comparison to the Heritage to the King.

Quick Reply: Heritage or Road King