General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it like working at an HD dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Many years ago, I lost my job due to a company merge, and thought about working for an HD Dealer since I LOVE anything and everything motorcycle. I decided against it for a reason stated above. Once your passion becomes a job, or work you will get sick of it, and will most likely want to spend your free time doing something else.

May not be the case for you though.

Good luck with your decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by steelerdude1:
ABQ-Jammer (06-05-2019), army_eod (06-17-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Your job will be to make as much profit as possible.

Your a number and a liability to the employer.

s?
Maybe we are not all making direct profit, most people have a job because they are expected to produce. To most employers you are just another number too.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:11 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

It sounds like maybe you've worked in the car business, and if so, you understand the hours. There are a lot of similarities between the two business models. I'll make a few points:

1) I've been in the car business all my life. I love cars. At 63 years of age, my passion for cars is stronger now than it was when I was 18. Being in the business has not diminished that passion. Plus, I've developed relationships and have contacts that outsiders don't have, and am now able to afford to indulge my passion in the ways I couldn't when I was younger. For many people, taking a job that involves their passion is not a good thing, but it has been the opposite for me.
2) Sometimes a change is good, and it sounds like you're ready for one. Nothing wrong with that. If you're in a position to make that change, why not? I've always felt it's better to go for something and find out for sure than sitting in a rocking chair on your porch in your old age regretting not having done it.
3) My local HD dealer must be a great dealer to work for. They have little turnover in both sales and management. My salesman has been there for 15 years. They treat me like a king and I have no desire to shop anywhere else. That's the kind of dealer you want to work for. Ask around town about their reputation.
4) As things stand right now, the talent pool in almost any given industry is small. Finding bodies is hard, finding talented employees is even harder. So if you try the HD thing and don't like it, chances are good you can go back to what you were doing before.
5) As mentioned, you get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The following 4 users liked this post by JonW:
ABQ-Jammer (06-05-2019), Bishop73 (06-04-2019), Mxdad (06-06-2019), OkieBill (06-05-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Riding on a Tuesday or Wednesday ain't a bad thing unless the social component of "riding" is important to you.
Be "in the industry" does open doors and provides opportunities not available to the masses.
The ownership/management of the dealership will be key to the quality of your experience; you know this and know to do your research.

Being around Harleys and Harley folk all the time isn't necessarily a bad thing and, contrary to what some may think, may enhance your passion rather than ruin it.

Best to you on whatever you decide and please let us know what shakes.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,636 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Lee XLC
ANY career is like a stewpot
you get out of it, what you put into it

unless you're a CEO or a Politician
Yeah, I'm sure that CEO's do nothing but play golf

Old 06-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,496 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Having never been employed by an HD dealership, and only experienced their particular brand of service from the receiving end, the first business I thought of that might be a good employee comparison would be pictured below. You might ask if the one you are considering offers happy endings and if so, who is responsible for that.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 PM
bentparts
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

I worked at a few motorcycle dealerships over the years , GM at a Japanese brand, sales at another Jap brand and both were fun jobs. Took a job at a local HD dealer and by far the worst job experience I've had selling motorcycles and being in the business. If you love riding and motorcycles IMO, find something else unrelated.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

What's a table shower?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 AM
cworley5150
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate the replies. I'm going over to the dealership tomorrow to talk to the GM about the position and plan to ask lots of questions and talk to several employees about their experience working there. I haven't worked in the car business, but have sales experience and have worked at a Yamaha/KTM/Polaris dealership for a while. I've been at my current employer in the healthcare industry for 21 years and in my current role as Executive Director of the business for 6 years. I'm ready for a change, but working for HD may not be it. Just putting some feelers out there to see what is available in my local job market. I have my concerns about mixing business and pleasure so to speak. It could make going to work every day very satisfying or it could ruin my passion for riding.

Thanks again for the input from everybody. Although I'm new to the forum, everyone has been very welcoming.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan06
What's a table shower?
I guess go there with a wad a cash and find out and let us know!!!

Quick Reply: What's it like working at an HD dealership?