Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Headlight and passing lamps stopped working (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1287937-headlight-and-passing-lamps-stopped-working.html)

Windseeker 06-11-2019 08:20 PM

Headlight and passing lamps stopped working

Just came back from a ride and as I was parking the bike, the headlight and passing lamps suddenly went out. Then after a few seconds, they came back on and then went out again. Then they wouldn't come on at all. Over time, I've occasionally noticed that the headlight would sometimes have a split-second blink or shimmer.

Well, a few minutes ago I went out there, turned the switch, nothing. But then after a few seconds, I heard a sound and the headlight came on. The sound I heard was like a high-pitched "tink!" sound and the headlight would come on, but on high-beam only. On low-beam, I get nothing. When I switch it back to low-beam, there's a "click" and the light goes out.

So anyway, the "tink!" and the "click!" appear to be coming from the main switch. I can hold my ear to the switch, flip the high-low switch to high-beam, and after a few seconds I'll hear the "tink!" and the high-beam will come on. If I switch it back to low-beam, I get the "click!" and the light goes out again.

So what do you think is the problem here? The ignition switch or something else?

Windseeker 06-11-2019 08:41 PM

Just checked it again with my ear next to the ignition switch. Very audible clicks when I change the position from high to low beam and back. Plus, when I flip it over to high beam, it sits for a few seconds and then "tink!" and the high beam comes on. Flip it back to low beam and it clicks and then no light.

sechracer 06-12-2019 02:48 AM

Dunno much about your bike, but to me it sounds like a relay is sluggish/bad.....

Hoginedgewood 06-12-2019 04:45 AM

The breaker is tripping. I would not ride, I would not even turn the switch on unless you are ready to put out a fire.
To me this is a big issue.
Something has rubbed a hole somewhere unless you add a lot of light recently.

Windseeker 06-12-2019 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood (Post 18323498)
The breaker is tripping. I would not ride, I would not even turn the switch on unless you are ready to put out a fire.
To me this is a big issue.
Something has rubbed a hole somewhere unless you add a lot of light recently.

What breaker? Where? I'm not a mechanic and I need some help with this.

Uncle G. 06-12-2019 06:01 AM

For a start you could tell us the year and model of your bike.

Architect 06-12-2019 06:25 AM

Dude, you have a short somewhere between the switch and the headlights. A wire has been rubbed to expose the wire, it is randomly hitting something and shorting. It sounds like it is related to fork position, so maybe one of the wires from the gas tank to the front end. Since it is only the lights, should be pretty easy to figure out which wires are in question, do a thorough inspection. When you find the culprit, insulate as needed and carry on.

Windseeker 06-12-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle G. (Post 18323586)
For a start you could tell us the year and model of your bike.

1994 Fatboy.

Windseeker 06-12-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 18323630)
Dude, you have a short somewhere between the switch and the headlights. A wire has been rubbed to expose the wire, it is randomly hitting something and shorting. It sounds like it is related to fork position, so maybe one of the wires from the gas tank to the front end. Since it is only the lights, should be pretty easy to figure out which wires are in question, do a thorough inspection. When you find the culprit, insulate as needed and carry on.

Thanks, but would it be this consistent? Each time I flip the switch to the high-beam position, it takes the exact same amount of time for the click to happen and the light to come on.

2whlr4life 06-12-2019 09:15 AM

Years ago, my 95 FatBoy stranded us at Sturgis, similar issues; thought ignition switch or handlebar switch. Replaced the key switch-wrong. It turned out to be a short in the headlight shell. Those H4 bulbs pull a lot of amperage. Check for shorts.