General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight and passing lamps stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts
Default Headlight and passing lamps stopped working

Just came back from a ride and as I was parking the bike, the headlight and passing lamps suddenly went out. Then after a few seconds, they came back on and then went out again. Then they wouldn't come on at all. Over time, I've occasionally noticed that the headlight would sometimes have a split-second blink or shimmer.

Well, a few minutes ago I went out there, turned the switch, nothing. But then after a few seconds, I heard a sound and the headlight came on. The sound I heard was like a high-pitched "tink!" sound and the headlight would come on, but on high-beam only. On low-beam, I get nothing. When I switch it back to low-beam, there's a "click" and the light goes out.

So anyway, the "tink!" and the "click!" appear to be coming from the main switch. I can hold my ear to the switch, flip the high-low switch to high-beam, and after a few seconds I'll hear the "tink!" and the high-beam will come on. If I switch it back to low-beam, I get the "click!" and the light goes out again.

So what do you think is the problem here? The ignition switch or something else?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Just checked it again with my ear next to the ignition switch. Very audible clicks when I change the position from high to low beam and back. Plus, when I flip it over to high beam, it sits for a few seconds and then "tink!" and the high beam comes on. Flip it back to low beam and it clicks and then no light.

Last edited by Windseeker; 06-11-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 AM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Dunno much about your bike, but to me it sounds like a relay is sluggish/bad.....

Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,191 Likes on 653 Posts

The breaker is tripping. I would not ride, I would not even turn the switch on unless you are ready to put out a fire.
To me this is a big issue.
Something has rubbed a hole somewhere unless you add a lot of light recently.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
The breaker is tripping. I would not ride, I would not even turn the switch on unless you are ready to put out a fire.
To me this is a big issue.
Something has rubbed a hole somewhere unless you add a lot of light recently.
What breaker? Where? I'm not a mechanic and I need some help with this.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,709 Likes on 1,993 Posts

For a start you could tell us the year and model of your bike.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,019 Likes on 2,608 Posts

Dude, you have a short somewhere between the switch and the headlights. A wire has been rubbed to expose the wire, it is randomly hitting something and shorting. It sounds like it is related to fork position, so maybe one of the wires from the gas tank to the front end. Since it is only the lights, should be pretty easy to figure out which wires are in question, do a thorough inspection. When you find the culprit, insulate as needed and carry on.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
For a start you could tell us the year and model of your bike.
1994 Fatboy.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
Dude, you have a short somewhere between the switch and the headlights. A wire has been rubbed to expose the wire, it is randomly hitting something and shorting. It sounds like it is related to fork position, so maybe one of the wires from the gas tank to the front end. Since it is only the lights, should be pretty easy to figure out which wires are in question, do a thorough inspection. When you find the culprit, insulate as needed and carry on.
Thanks, but would it be this consistent? Each time I flip the switch to the high-beam position, it takes the exact same amount of time for the click to happen and the light to come on.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Arrow

Years ago, my 95 FatBoy stranded us at Sturgis, similar issues; thought ignition switch or handlebar switch. Replaced the key switch-wrong. It turned out to be a short in the headlight shell. Those H4 bulbs pull a lot of amperage. Check for shorts.

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Headlight and passing lamps stopped working