General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Training

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Brian15
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 153 Posts

I took the rider endorsement class at a local Harley dealer. Slow speed maneuvers is a big part of it, and I continue to practice several times a week. I'm a new rider, but I don't have issues in a parking lot because of that class. It was great for general riding, too.

Most of the comments above echo what was said in class. Keep your head up, look where you want to go (never look down), counterbalance your weight while turning, learn good clutch/friction zone control, and maintain enough speed to stay upright in the turn. Start off doing U-turns in the width of three parking spaces and as you get a feel for it, get it down to 2 or less. Practice in both directions. Also, practice going as slow as possible in a straight line. Keeping your knees against the tank helps a lot. Also practice weaving around the end of the parking lines (about 8' apart). It takes PRACTICE.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:35 PM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

I took the intermediate MSF course on my Ultra, never dropped the bike during the course...don't ask about IRL. Good class, lots of slow and tight maneuvers, might see if one is near you. I will be looking for an advanced class soon.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM
2slow05
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

look up mrhridertraining.com in houston texas they offer a few courses at the harley dealer over in Houston Texas on highway 290 west. I think the dealer is Mancuso. I took the Total control intermediate course and it was great! lots of slow speed drills. I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot and made me more comfortable riding my bike. I would definately look into it.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 PM
harley6768
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Stop the lie probably means stop subscribing to other videos and subscribe to his. Just a guess.

Like golf, there are lots of people selling skill videos. They seem to offer some good advice and things to practice. The only thing I see that I find questionable is that they always seem to focus on a small range of the riders skillset and the advice is always passed off as the end-all and be-all of riding. Other skills can get ignored if one routine becomes the focus. Granted, low-speed handling is a skill we all need to keep sharp but it's just one component of riding. e.g...riding like a pro means being to handle in all conditions and situations, not just doing low-speed full-lock U-turns around a pylon in a parking lot. I would spend just as much time with gaining and maintaining skills with emergency braking,high-speed obstacle avoidance, and other drills and techniques. You don't want to ignore this other stuff. These things are not as sexy and don't get the focus of skill or training videos so they rarely get any air time or discussions.
I agree, I have spoken with cops who ride and they say emergency braking, and obstacle training is very important. They even do high speed cornering. I wish I could get that training.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:53 PM
harley6768
Novice

I would love to see some videos of everyone in this post doing some slow speed turns in parking spaces and showing how their viewpoint works instead of just talking about it. That would be kool!! Share and show those skills and help others I say.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by harley6768
I would love to see some videos of everyone in this post doing some slow speed turns in parking spaces and showing how their viewpoint works instead of just talking about it. That would be kool!! Share and show those skills and help others I say.
I’m at a rodeo right now. I’ll post a video tonight.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:58 PM
harley6768
Novice

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Here you go.

Ride Like a Pro Houston

Remove your saddle bags. Pick up some tubular pipe insulation for Home Depot or Lowes to wrap around your engine guard and some painters tape to tape up anything else that might touch the ground.
Found these earlier today and ordered them. Here is the link. I read everything on the site they have and seems like they know their stuff and the videos were kool. If they work like the videos I will be extremely happy.

https://motorcycleguards.com

Old 06-14-2019, 06:03 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

This is from today. I’m in the white shirt on the electraglide.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...deo-today.html

Last edited by stro1965; 06-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by stro1965:
2slow05 (06-14-2019), Down South (06-15-2019), sunderhill (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by harley6768
I agree, I have spoken with cops who ride and they say emergency braking, and obstacle training is very important. They even do high speed cornering. I wish I could get that training.
If you really are interested, browse the MSF curriculum. They offer various advanced riders courses. These take place in very large lots. 'Advanced' is just the word for the course and you just need some riding experience basically. You won't be working at highway speeds obviously, but you work various drills and exercises at speeds you will encounter in daily riding--25-45 MPH. About half the day class is such drills, The other has is low-speed maneuvering tactics etc and riding strategies. Every time I have taken it, they cover something new and it isn't entirely repetitive. And every time I take it, I realize how much I still have to learn. Also take any other training you can but realize low speed handling is but just one component of riding. Don't get stuck on one style of drill or take a course and think you are now a 'pro'. Probably the worse mindset to get into when it comes to safety IMO.

I also will note that full-lock turns on a dime and such as you see in the promo videos are very perishable skills. If you don't practice them frequently, you will not be able to do perform them adequately in a year or two when you try them again. Been there done that. What they don't tell you in such courses is that you need to routinely practice such exercises to stay fresh or you will be back where you started--unsteady and unsure doing these drills. Unlike riding a bicycle, such things are not permanently ingrained in your muscle memory. You will lose it pretty quickly if not practiced often.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 06-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
klap (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Idahoboi
Tourer

Received 385 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Best $20

Originally Posted by Uncle Salty
Practice ain't worth much if you don't know how to practice. Get the DVD for $20. Your skills will sky rocket using the techniques in this video. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/store/d...ike-a-pro-dvd/
Couldn't agree more. It's the best $20 I've ever spent on my bike. It takes a little getting used to an 800# motorcycle. Someone here on this forum said it best after they purchased their new Road King.........."it was a real $hit show at first." That was me. But I spent about 20 minutes practicing the techniques Motorman teaches before every ride and it wasn't before too long that I really began to ride the Road King really well...........confidence went way up (I just need to make sure my confidence doesn't go too high.......complacency kills). I enjoy my rides so much more now. Gawd I love this motorcycle.

I still take about 10-15 minutes before each ride just to practice a little bit. I live on a Cul-de-sac on a private road so it makes it easy.

Last edited by Idahoboi; 06-14-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Training