General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by rikkitony
Hello, I'm fairly new to riding but I'm brand new to Harley, caught the addiction bug on a Suzuki intruder. I promised myself a Harley before I turn 50 years old, I wanted to ask some seasoned Harley guys a question, I do about 70% of my riding in the city and the rest on the highway, if you had 11,000 dollars to buy a used Harley, what bike would you buy, I'm having a hard time deciding but at the same time having a blast, just looking for your opinion, thanks Tony.
If it was me, I'd look at all the models, test ride the ones that I liked and then buy the one that looked, handled/rode the best to me.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,224 Likes on 3,815 Posts

A Low Rider or Low Rider S. Plenty of nice low mileage garages queens out there. Many with the extras you would want.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...low-rider.html

Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Malleck
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

The options you get with a Road King are hard to beat.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 626 Posts

Have had a Suzuki Intruder 800, 1400 & still have my 1500LC. Went to an Ultra Classic & couldn't be happier. If your not doing alot of hwy or transporting alot of stuff you probably dont need a tourpak & a street glide would be a little cheaper. A heritage softail is gonna be alot like the 1500LC. I do like a shaft drive Suzukis alot more when it comes to sitting in traffic. The twin cam just wants to go & not alot of fun when in heavy traffic. The Ultra Classic is definitely more compact when it comes to seating/position. The 1500 is much more stretched out & sits lower. Go take some test rides & see what's comfortable for you.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
70% city don’t bother with a touring bike. I really mis my softail because I do mostly local riding. But when we pound out hours on the highway I am glad I have my touring bike. The fat boy or the heritage are nice for mostly local riding. If your 30% highway is more than 50 miles at a time then a road king might be a better choice. If you want radio and fairing then no choice but a touring bike, my preference is a road glide.

think of what your needs are and purchase appropriately. Also look at your local dealer’s used inventory and TEST ride everything you can!
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Sit on a bunch of them. Some will speak to you and some will not.
i have a Sportster for buzzing around town. Short jaunts and having fun.
for anything longer, think all day kind of riding, I have a RoadKing Special
Originally Posted by SPRINGER
If it was me, I'd look at all the models, test ride the ones that I liked and then buy the one that looked, handled/rode the best to me.
Originally Posted by Malleck
The options you get with a Road King are hard to beat.
All good advice given here. I've had all the families: Sportster, Dyna, SoftTails old and new, Touring Glides - Road King, Electra Glides and Road Glides. Other than the Sportster family of which I only had one (loved it!) I've had multiples in all the familes. Here's my take:

Around town and in the city ONLY - Sportster.
Around town/city some country puttin' and some super-slab - Heritage Softtail.
Some country puttin' and some super slabbin' - Road King.
Super slab, country riding, a little bit of town/city and travel capabilities - Road King (very versatile) or one of the Glides; I too prefer the Road Glide for big miles, big roads and big speeds ... if that's what your' going to do. If you will never be two-up, the new (re-issue) Electra Glide Standard is a perennial favorite.

The multi-viscosity multi-mission bikes are the Heritage SoftTail and the Road King; had 'em both ... both great bikes.
I keep my '10 RK in FL for bike events and runnin' around the state carrying my crap.

That being said, my big roads, big miles @ big speeds bike is an M8 (107) Road Glide. I traded my beloved little 883 Iron the other day for a Low Rider - which, BTW, is a contender for one of the best motorcycles I've ever owned - and, in that regard, I've had a BMW GS (two actually), a Kawasaki Concours 1000 and a C1400 (amazingly awesome sport tourer) as well as my current rapid transit commuter cycle, a Suzuki Bandit 1250S ... so when I say it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned, it ain't no cheerleader fanboy sing-song! However, the LR may not suit your mission profile; I wouldn't have it as an only bike if I did big mile/big road trips - which I do and you may.

You actually may want to see if your $11K and a manageable payment could get you into a new bike; not advocating that - just sayin'.

Last edited by Jehu; 07-04-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Island Dude
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Road King

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Pale Horse Rider
A Harley salesman put it in perspective for me. First the bike has to speak to your eyes. Then, it has to speak to the seat of your pants (he used a simpler word).

He’s right. You must love looking at it when it’s parked and enjoy how it feels when you ride.

I’ve sat on beautiful bikes that I didn’t like at all once I sat on them.
Totally agree....

Old 07-04-2019, 11:33 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I just traded my 2017 Sportster Superlow 1200T for a 2019 Low Rider. It took me over 6 months of research and visiting the showrooms to convince me to give up my Sportster for the new Softail Low Rider. Most of my riding is in and around the city, but I would like to do more short overnight trips. My mission profile and fitment issues drove me to the Low Rider. I agree that the place to start is being honest with yourself about how you will use the bike AND any fitment issues (e.g., your physical characteristics, such as height, and the weight of bike you feel comfortable handling). If the bike doesn't meet your needs and physical requirements, you won't be happy with it long-term. BTW: Ignore salesmen!!! Talk with other riders, particularly riders who are built like you and have similar mission requirements.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:12 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Road King; the best combo of form & function.
I agree with Pale horse. A Harley is like a chick; if ya don't like the way she (it) looks, you ain't gonna like it in the sack (on the road)

Old 07-05-2019, 01:03 AM
BONEFYD
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Dyna. But not the new Dyna those are gay. I'm talkin' pre-monoshock emasculated Dyna. It rocks the city and with some throw over bags + windshield she can take you coast to coast. Easy to park, lean machine, and chicks dig it. Done.

Quick Reply: Picking a Harley