General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Done With Group Rides

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Ironhandjohn
Tourer
Received 312 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
I keep forgetting those reading my posts do not know me, do not understand my attempts at entertaining.

Two beers per stop? I thought that was a joke, then I recalled my younger days.

The only way two beers per stop is ok is if you only make one stop per day, then spend the night.

How about this:
There are old riders and there are two beer per stop riders.
There are no old two beer per stop riders.

There were a lot of old drunks at the last group ride I attended. As soon as they swung off their bikes, they went into the Tourpak and pulled out cans of beer. The dealership had beers, Bloody Marys, and Mimosas for the riders in the showroom, which raised my eyebrows a few times. I bailed on the ride about fifteen minutes into it, and shortly afterward, some riders went down at low speed. I don’t know if it was booze-related, but cocktails and Bud Light don't enhance reflexes.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

I ride solo, always have. I don't have any friends that ride. I have ridden in groups and don't want to be around anyone that rides beyond their abilities. I ride to relax and enjoy the ride and God's beautiful country. I don't want to worry about those around me or we have to stop in 7 miles and eat at Bob's road kill. No thanks.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Here is the question nobody is asking...

Why did the OP allow other people to invite riders on his ride? That would never fly with me. The owner of the ride gets to make all the rules. If you don't like my rules ride with someone else.

We are leaving on 4000 plus mile ride in 1 week. The leader of the ride has stated no more than 2 beers at any stop, "I don't want to be the one who calls your wife." We have one rider who doesn't like that idea. "He is a big boy and can drink as much as he wants". The leader and I are going to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with this guy tomorrow. Either he agrees to all the leader's rules or he is out.

It is really very simple...
I don't get the concept of "owner of the ride"; anybody on it has a piece of it. Each rider can decide who he will and won't ride with, along with his timing and route. If anyone doesn't like it, they can go ride their own ride. An organizer can get it started, but from there you can see who wants to go the same route at the same time, and who doesn't. You can't force people to ride with you, but you can decide if you'll ride with them.

I stop for gas, food, and sleep, on a road trip. I imagine it's hard to make progress even with folks limited to 2 beers/stop. I wouldn't join a ride that's more about drinking than riding. As to your "big boy", I suspect he's old enough to make his own choices, and the rest of you can decide whether you want to ride with him or not.

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
This thread sounds like discussing the rules of a knife fight.

No more than 2 beers per stop? ok, Make mine the big ones, the Canadian beer pretending to be Australian.
Rules? In a KNIFE FIGHT?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
I don't get the concept of "owner of the ride"; anybody on it has a piece of it. Each rider can decide who he will and won't ride with, along with his timing and route. If anyone doesn't like it, they can go ride their own ride. An organizer can get it started, but from there you can see who wants to go the same route at the same time, and who doesn't. You can't force people to ride with you, but you can decide if you'll ride with them.

I stop for gas, food, and sleep, on a road trip. I imagine it's hard to make progress even with folks limited to 2 beers/stop. I wouldn't join a ride that's more about drinking than riding. As to your "big boy", I suspect he's old enough to make his own choices, and the rest of you can decide whether you want to ride with him or not.

Rules? In a KNIFE FIGHT?

Just seen a post on Fakebook yesterday on a riding page..guy was looking for someone to make a 2000 ride with him to Sturgis. Guy had more rules than my ex girlfriend. Probably why he’s riding alone and I don’t mean just no drinking.

Me i I prefer to ride alone or with small groups. In groups I just go with the flow but not with one guy calling all the shots. Should be a group decision. By myself I’m free to do and ride however I want

Last edited by CalypsoNotch93; 07-10-2019 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (07-19-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
Just seen a post on Fakebook yesterday on a riding page..guy was looking for someone to make a 2000 ride with him to Sturgis. Guy had more rules than my ex girlfriend. Probably why he’s riding alone and I don’t mean just no drinking.

Me i I prefer to ride alone or with small groups. In groups I just go with the flow but not with one guy calling all the shots. Should be a group decision. By myself I’m free to do and ride however I want
I like to relax and go with the flow, too. I don't care that much about the decisions, I should know what I'm getting into, but if I don't like how it's going after a while, I'd rather leave than bitch about it. I don't have a need to have the group do what I want, or a fear of going solo.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

I would never do a huge charity type run EVER..... Not my thing.

But, wrote the group rides off for a looooooonnngggg time.... About 30 years ago, I was in a couple sportbike clubs. Always at the lead on mountain runs. Always the talks about ride your pace. Every ride at least one would go down. Back to get my truck and trailer grab a wrecked bike. Back to the hospital. Went on for a while, till the girlfriend (wife 26 yrs now) got tired of our rides jacked up. Finally threw that stuff away and rode solo or with a couple select others. All good for a loooooooonnngg time.

Was talked into a leading of group ride of HD riders on a mountain run a year ago for a long time friend and even one from the club way back, it was a birthday thing and the others were mainly his friends. Knew a few of em, but thats it. Two of the guys went down on dynas that day. No one seriously hurt.... But thats it on group rides for me.

Last edited by Highwaymans; 07-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole

Rules? In a KNIFE FIGHT?
One of many quotable lines from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

"Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you" and others.

For a more civilized analogy, how about "herding cats" ?

this cat will pass thank you very much.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Man there are too many posts here to quote lines from...

But there are some great one liners..

Done a few groups, as said above not all are equal riders, some are just plain dicks and lag... On interstate rides if I was up front and noticed a long distance and cars or truck between the bikes, and there was a section I was familiar with. We've got of the road, road down frontage rd and rejoined the lagers by blowing by them in the passing lane..
Then at next gas up mentioned the importance of group riding.....

Old 07-16-2019, 08:38 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
No more group rides for me, for all of the reasons that everyone has shared. In riding solo, you only have to worry about yourself with your own timeline.

Last year I tried to get a group of us together to ride to Daytona and they sounded like a bunch of hens. It's too hot, I need an oil change, it might rain, that's too far (they all have touring bikes). I rode solo and had a great time
Perfectly said. This is what happened to me the last time I did a group ride, and that ended it for me.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

I don't do "charity rides" mainly because the $$$ numbers are never disclosed. I'll ride with a few friends, someone comes up with an idea on where to go, and we go. the question I have is, if someone wants to go along on the ride how can you tell them they can't? if you're riding on public roads it's not possible.

Quick Reply: I'm Done With Group Rides