General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

duracell ultra battery died

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,448 Likes on 4,133 Posts

DEKA is the only battery I buy....and I've bought very few 'cause they last so long. Last one lasted seven years...stayed in bike over every winter with NO trickle charge. I live 5 minutes from the plant and go to their store and buy "seconds" very cheap.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

If you read the disclaimers on that battery.....

Please Note: For Custom V-Twin applications with Motor sizes over 103 Cubic Inches, and when a higher compression, or modified motor is being used we do not recommend the RE-START version of our Batteries due to the extremely high current draw of these Larger V-Twin Motors. Please use the following models for Large V-Twin Applications: YTX20, YTX12-24, YTX12-20, or V-10.

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I had a Duracell that did the same thing about 18 months old.
It was still under warranty so it was replaced for free about 2 years ago.

I've had Duracell's in my car and truck for years without issues.
I bought the Duracell due to it was cheaper than the Harley OEM and it was readily available.

I'm not sure I'll go with that in the future.
I might go with Antigravities new lithium re-start battery.

It comes with a built in jump starter so you'll never be stranded again because your battery got drained.
Of course if the battery simply fails like the OP's Duracell, even jump starting it will likely not be of any help.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...-oem/atx20-rs/

At $320 it's a bit pricey but you are getting more than just a battery.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I've used Batteries Plus Duracell batteries on my bike, truck and tractors. They have been as good as any other battery I have used.

Originally Posted by vessel
I own a 98 dyna wide glide I bought a duracell ultra battery about a year ago I was riding for about an hour when the motorcyle shut off.... I had no power at all. I stalled in front of a body shop and a very helpful worker who has a harley tried to charge the battery with battery charger but to no avail then he tried to charge with his car but that did not work either. He says that he thinks that the battery short circuited and died. I was stranded so i bought a napa battery and it started right up. I was wondering if anyone has had this happened and how can i avoid this in the future. When i purchased the duracell battery i left it installed on my bike through the winter with a harley super smart battery tender attached.
Batteries Plus Duracell batteries have a two year warranty. Bring it back to any Batteries Plus and they will run a diagnostic on the battery.

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Everything's made like crap. And most people lose the receipt so HAVE to buy a new battery. The manufactures count on this.
You don't need a receipt at Batteries Plus. The purchase is on the computer system of any Batteries Plus in the country.

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

OP --which Duracell? They sell one that's made in USA, and another one that the web site doesn't say where it's made.

First time I've seen a post on one of those going bad. I like those odds. Also, I'm another one that's curious about possible charging system problems.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 302 Posts

Should have a 2 year warraty...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 PM
vessel
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure where the duracell ultra battery was made but Batteries plus confirmed that the battery was no good. because i had to put another battery in to get me home which was about an hour away i was told if the charging system was a problem i would not have made it home with that new battery which i did not charge just filled it and installed .I have not had a problem so far with the napa battery we will see how long that will last.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:41 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,327 Likes on 8,540 Posts

Batteries + Duracell AGM Ultra.
Made in USA 2 year warranty.
But you did all you could do since you were stranded.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/battery/motorcycle/harley=davidson/dyna-wide-glide-fxdwg/1690cc/2014/cyl10019

Last edited by 71on72; 07-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:35 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Same here Yuasa battery

Originally Posted by Route66
I use Yuasa batteries. Never failed me once.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/about/
I buy a new one every 4 years I don't want the hassle of any battery problems, I ride in so many remote areas. I figure about $20 a year for a battery. I hear and see all the time guys pushing the limits of their battery. Sure a battery will last longer than 4 years well, it should why take the chance. Just not worth it to me.

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I am not sure where the duracell ultra battery was made but Batteries plus confirmed that the battery was no good. because i had to put another battery in to get me home which was about an hour away i was told if the charging system was a problem i would not have made it home with that new battery which i did not charge just filled it and installed .I have not had a problem so far with the napa battery we will see how long that will last.
Why didn't you get a warranty replacement from Batteries+, since it's a two year warranty? You said you got the Duracell about a year ago. Nearest store too far away?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

i was told if the charging system was a problem i would not have made it home with that new battery which i did not charge just filled it and installed .I have not had a problem so far with the napa battery we will see how long that will last.
That used to be the way things were done for years, until facts proved there was a better method. You certainly would make it home, and then some on a new battery if the charging system was not functional. Wouldn't you want to test it to know if it was working properly or not ?

Quick Reply: duracell ultra battery died