General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding at night

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I quit riding at night all together. It's too dangerous here, not because of cars, it's the damn deer. I swear they will wait until you're right beside them then jump right in front of you.
This! The damn deer don’t care how good your lights are or how much reflective clothing you’re wearing. Pity, too, because I really love riding at night but almost never do it anymore.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

I ride in the dark every morning. If they don't see your headlight and taillight/license plate they will not see reflective paint/tape. I pass motorcycles going both ways, you easily see the headlight from the front and at least the plate if not the taillight from a ways off, and couldn't tell you if they had reflective clothing until right on them.

I suppose if something happened and you had no lights and were sitting on the side of the road, it would be handy to be reflective.

If you want to be reflective, just buy a mesh/reflective vest like the road side workers use and throw it over what you wear.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
You can buy LED riding vests and jackets, but why bother? Ride like they don't see you, because they don't.
True fact

Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,053 Likes on 6,220 Posts

I do not ride at night due to my eye condition called Nyctalopia(night blindness).

Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Ironhandjohn
Tourer
Received 312 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
I ride in the dark every morning. If they don't see your headlight and taillight/license plate they will not see reflective paint/tape. I pass motorcycles going both ways, you easily see the headlight from the front and at least the plate if not the taillight from a ways off, and couldn't tell you if they had reflective clothing until right on them.

I suppose if something happened and you had no lights and were sitting on the side of the road, it would be handy to be reflective.

If you want to be reflective, just buy a mesh/reflective vest like the road side workers use and throw it over what you wear.
I have a few reflective vests courtesy of a previous employer, and my wife and I keep them in our cars in case of trouble at night. I also keep one in a saddlebag for my commute home after dark. They’re cheap enough to keep several on hand, and I’ll do anything I can do to tip the odds in my favor when riding at night.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,256 Likes on 11,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhandjohn
I have a few reflective vests courtesy of a previous employer, and my wife and I keep them in our cars in case of trouble at night. I also keep one in a saddlebag for my commute home after dark. They’re cheap enough to keep several on hand, and I’ll do anything I can do to tip the odds in my favor when riding at night.
Pedestrians who use marked crosswalks often used the same reasoning, they wanted to posthumously tip the odds in their favor to cross the road safely.
Reflective vests are fine as long as they do not create complacency in exchange for vigilance.

Last edited by upflying; 07-15-2019 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
on3wego (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Ron517
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have jackets with reflective stuff from the factory, reflective strips on the back of my helmet, LED lighting all around and my Road King looks like a freight train coming at you from the front even at high noon but I still avoid night riding. At least until possums, raccoons and deer start wearing reflective vests

Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
This! The damn deer don’t care how good your lights are or how much reflective clothing you’re wearing. Pity, too, because I really love riding at night but almost never do it anymore.
Hell, I drove a freaking Lincoln Town Car to Utica from Boston one Fall night and swore I'd never do that again - Deer kill every mile, ****-tons of glowing eyes at the edge of the road.
You made the right decision.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,246 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
You can buy LED riding vests and jackets, but why bother? Ride like they don't see you, because they don't.
Good luck getting someone to look up from their cellphone long enough to see your new reflectiveness...

Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by HiDrag
Hell, I drove a freaking Lincoln Town Car to Utica from Boston one Fall night and swore I'd never do that again - Deer kill every mile, ****-tons of glowing eyes at the edge of the road.
You made the right decision.
That’s exactly why I try and avoid night riding. I already have a confirmed kill on a motorcycle. Furry IEDs.

Op-buy a reflective vest. Or not, if it goes against your fashion sense. And/or upgrade lighting.

Quick Reply: Riding at night