General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL COOLERS? ANY EXPERIENCE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OIL COOLERS? ANY EXPERIENCE?

Curious guys..any of you have experience with an oil cooler on your bike? I'd like to know if you noticed anydifference when compared to stock? Did the bike run any better, or cooler for that matter? Your thoughts?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OIL COOLERS? ANY EXPERIENCE?

As you know, it gets hot in Tucson. Quite a few years ago I asked a friend of mine (sales manager at a Harley dealership) if I should go with an oil cooler. To my surprise he said no, that the factory didn't recommend them. I've run both an 01 Heritage Classic and currently an 05Sportster 1200 C and have not had a single problem. That's even considering a steady, constant 15 mphdoing several PGR missions in the heat.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer recommends them highly, and considering CVO bikes come with them as OEM equipment H-D obviously believes in them as well.
I saw a considerable difference in felt temperature with my oil cooler. Coupled with the V&H Fuel Pak and a good synthetic oil the reduction in temperatures is very impressive. Like a completely different bike.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Here in the NorthEast not needed.I ride Hot Rod Harleys and am very comfortable not running a cooler.When the bike is not moving cooler is not cooling.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

The CVO models might have them but in all fairness you have to consider that doesn't mean that they're necessarilythought to be necessaryby the factory. Perhaps the factorythinks the purchasers of the CVO models might feel they're getting more for their money.

Who knows. As stated above, if you ain't movin' the oil cooler ain't workin'. Perhaps if you are moving you don't need an oil cooler!!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

waste of money and look like *** IMHO...only work if you are rolling and if you are rolling ya don't need em

Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 AM
twillie2460
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two bikes an 93 Heritage and 00 Fatboy andI run coolers on both bikes with synthetic oil and it runs about 15 to 20 degress cooler. I know lots of dealers say they are not needed but I personally do not like my oils to run at 220 and above on hot days. I also run bypass valves for the much cooler days. PLus they are some nice chrome coolers out that do not look bad.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am an advocate of a cooler on a big inch bike. large displacement engines generate more heat. I also live in the SE where daily temps are mid 90's and hotter. If you are consistently running temps above 230 degrees while riding the hiway, get a cooler. You might try a synthetic oil first, if you are not using now. A synthetic will drop your temp about 20 degrees.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil coolers don't work if you're not moving? Who told you that?
If the oil cooler is 200 degrees with hot oil running through it, and the surrounding air is 95 degrees, heat will transfer from the fins of the cooler to the surrounding air. They will certainly dissipate more heat with air moving through the fins, but they will also radiate heat when static.
That's how radiators work...

Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Oil coolers don't work if you're not moving? Who told you that?
If the oil cooler is 200 degrees with hot oil running through it, and the surrounding air is 95 degrees, heat will transfer from the fins of the cooler to the surrounding air. They will certainly dissipate more heat with air moving through the fins, but they will also radiate heat when static.
That's how radiators work...
When you're not moving I doubt that the "surrounding air" that close to the engine is 95.

Quick Reply: OIL COOLERS? ANY EXPERIENCE?