General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:28 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,540 Likes on 9,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Prepare for HD-branded Pan America special fit tank bag at launch......
so… Not competitively priced then?… LOL

Old 10-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

I'd throw a leg over it it had street tires. Can't tell from the pics, did they finally do away with the chain primary?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

I'd throw a leg over it it had street tires. Can't tell from the pics, did they finally do away with the chain primary?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:37 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by adm
I'm interested. I have a BMW 1200GS and would be interested in an HD version. Bagged up and with different tyres in could be a proper "do anything" long distance tourer with modern electronics and suspension.

Of course, it would need to be competitive in price and performance to the BMW and that's an awful lot to ask for from HD.

But....I'll read all the reviews, go for a few test rides and see what it's like before making a decision.
I took my GS 1150 all over the west… And into the mountains and the dirt… I loved the bike, except it was too tall for me… As I have shortinseamitis

Old 10-21-2020, 01:39 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I like it. The seat height doesn't look too high for someone with a 30" inseam. You can get a Low Suspension with BMW's Boxer GS but only with the Premium package that really jacks the price. I like the narrow-ness of the bike and the functional crash bars. The handlebar mounts look like they are ready for a set of Bar Backs or risers. Someone will make a good tank bag but the center portion of the tank will rob a lot of space.
I want to ride one.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:43 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Looks like you can change a spoke with the tire mounted...
Not so sure I like the idea of the spokes sticking out that far, seems like they could get bent up pretty easy. I do like the looks of the bike, but like others have mentioned... interested to see the price tag they give it.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:53 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I like it. The seat height doesn't look too high for someone with a 30" inseam. You can get a Low Suspension with BMW's Boxer GS but only with the Premium package that really jacks the price. I like the narrow-ness of the bike and the functional crash bars. The handlebar mounts look like they are ready for a set of Bar Backs or risers. Someone will make a good tank bag but the center portion of the tank will rob a lot of space.
I want to ride one.
I am looking at a GS 750 as an additional motorcycle… The seat on them is pretty low, so that would fit me well… But I will hold final judgement on the Pan Am until their out and I get to sit on one... I have not completely dismissed the idea just yet… But as I have stated before, the shut down of the dealerships has really pissed me off. The Moco’s made in the boardroom policy, screwed a very good dear friend of mine right out of his business… He was selling close to 100 motorcycles a year, but they said the break point was 100… He said give me 20 more and I’ll sell them to... They said no… In addition to the couple of hundred used ones he sold every year that he bought from the HARLEY auctions… The guy always made money for himself and for Harley Davidson… This is the kind of bullshit that happens when you take a running shoe salesman and have him sell motorcycles.

The following users liked this post:
LuvdemBobberz (10-23-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:35 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I took my GS 1150 all over the west… And into the mountains and the dirt… I loved the bike, except it was too tall for me… As I have shortinseamitis
Me too. But I got a low seat and then rebuilt the rear shock with different shims. That put the seat height down about an inch and a half so I could flat foot the bike. Which is much nicer than kind of hanging off one side or being on tiptoe whenever you stop.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:40 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by adm
Me too. But I got a low seat and then rebuilt the rear shock with different shims. That put the seat height down about an inch and a half so I could flat foot the bike. Which is much nicer than kind of hanging off one side or being on tiptoe whenever you stop.
In the picture below I’m fine… Problem was when I was touring, and I tour heavy ... in stop and go traffic… That’s where it became a grizzly bear

I am stretched out to get that left foot down

The following 7 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
keener3rd (10-24-2020), MiniWolf (10-21-2020), mlbraptor (12-13-2020), Phatdad (12-17-2020), rauchman (11-11-2020), RGS88 (10-28-2020), soldierbot (10-21-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:03 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I am looking at a GS 750 as an additional motorcycle… The seat on them is pretty low, so that would fit me well… But I will hold final judgement on the Pan Am until their out and I get to sit on one... I have not completely dismissed the idea just yet… But as I have stated before, the shut down of the dealerships has really pissed me off. The Moco’s made in the boardroom policy, screwed a very good dear friend of mine right out of his business… He was selling close to 100 motorcycles a year, but they said the break point was 100… He said give me 20 more and I’ll sell them to... They said no… In addition to the couple of hundred used ones he sold every year that he bought from the HARLEY auctions… The guy always made money for himself and for Harley Davidson… This is the kind of bullshit that happens when you take a running shoe salesman and have him sell motorcycles.
There are only three BMW dealers in Michigan. If I didn't live near one, I wouldn't own a BMW. It's the same with any brand.
I'd really like to see the MoCo's rationale for shrinking their dealer network.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form