General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:10 PM
JongTong
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tank wrap

Does anybody have an idea of what it cost to get a sportster 48 tank wrapped?

Old 10-24-2020, 03:03 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Tank wrap

Originally Posted by JongTong
Does anybody have an idea of what it cost to get a sportster 48 tank wrapped?
i got my Frankenstein sportster trike wrapped in clear. Tank, both rear fenders and front fender and side covers. Total cost for all was $400.00 Canadian. It was an excellent job and the good thing about it if you got minor scratches on it you just either let it sit in the hot sun or washed it with very hot water and the scratches disappeared. On the gas cap was the most part that got scuffed from taking the cap off, hot water renewed it. Just the tank would probably be about a R$1100.00 Canadian or $70.00 US

Old 10-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 2,820 Posts

If you're doing it for some kind of advertising that's one thing but if you're wrapping it as a cheap alternative to a custom paint job it'll fail miserably. Wraps may not look too bad going by on a bus or a large truck but on a gas tank or fairing up close it looks cheap and low budget. At least I and most folks I know think so. But like everybody says, it's your bike.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:34 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default wraps

Originally Posted by Hey Man
If you're doing it for some kind of advertising that's one thing but if you're wrapping it as a cheap alternative to a custom paint job it'll fail miserably. Wraps may not look too bad going by on a bus or a large truck but on a gas tank or fairing up close it looks cheap and low budget. At least I and most folks I know think so. But like everybody says, it's your bike.
I disagree with you. On my trike you could hardly tell it was there, in fact when I sold it I had to point it out to the buyer as he did not even see it and he looked the trike over very carefully before handing me the draft

Old 10-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,682 Likes on 3,235 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
I disagree with you. On my trike you could hardly tell it was there, in fact when I sold it I had to point it out to the buyer as he did not even see it and he looked the trike over very carefully before handing me the draft
Probably a disconnect between the kind of wrap you're talking about (clear paint protection film) and what Hey Man was talking about (a colored wrap to change the appearance of the bike).

Old 10-24-2020, 05:29 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default wraps

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Probably a disconnect between the kind of wrap you're talking about (clear paint protection film) and what Hey Man was talking about (a colored wrap to change the appearance of the bike).
I thought he was talking protective wrap. He didn't mention changing color as he only asked about tank wrap notn the whole sheet metal wrap

Old 10-24-2020, 07:32 PM
JongTong
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wanting to wrap it as a cheaper alternative to painting the tank.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:34 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default wrap

Originally Posted by JongTong
I was wanting to wrap it as a cheaper alternative to painting the tank.
Here in Canada we have a person that wraps tanks by putting them in water. I have seen a few and they were perfect. I don't know what its called but mabey you can look it up

Old 10-24-2020, 08:44 PM
The_Wind
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Here in Canada we have a person that wraps tanks by putting them in water. I have seen a few and they were perfect. I don't know what its called but mabey you can look it up
I believe you are referring to “hydro graphics” or “hydro dipping”. It is apparently referred to by several other names, but that should get your search started.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:47 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

If you're looking for cheap, scratch dipping off your options? Nevertheless the end results are amazing.

I've had a few bits dipped. Hydrographic 3D dipping is considerably more expensive than a simple paint job if you're changing the color? The base is still applied by traditional painting methods in the color of your choice, cured and then the transfer is applied by dipping. The transfer they apply still needs a decent base coat and lacquer top coat afterwards.

Last edited by K9F; 10-25-2020 at 04:57 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by K9F:
armacc (09-05-2022), Cap77 (10-25-2020), flhchaz (09-07-2022), Redbeard (09-06-2022), Vernal (10-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Tank wrap