General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 808 Posts
Default Longevity

I've got a question about the longevity of the more modern bikes. Obviously you can make the old ones last forever, the parts are out there. But what about the electronics on the newer ones?

I'm the type of person who keeps things forever. My 2007 Street Bob is coming up on 100,000 miles. Still runs great. I know I have the ability to rebuild an engine or transmission, but what about the brain box that controls everything on these newer bikes? How likely is that brain box to fry? And if it does, and if Harley no longer sells replacements, is there such a thing as an aftermarket box?

Please, let's not get into a pissing match between advocates of old iron vs people who love the new stuff exclusively.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:35 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm sure there will come a day when certain OEM electronic parts, and parts in general, will not be available. If there is a demand, hopefully there will be someone who will fill the void.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:56 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

I've seen the same thing in the automotive world. OEM electronic parts no longer supplied by the mfr. Most times the replacement part is refurbished by a company the has a contract with the mfr. Radios, alternators, ECMs and the like. Once the demand for factory rebuilt parts drops or their contract ends, a third party steps in and supplies a particular part. Demand plays a big part of this though. An ECM that only fits a one or two year model or rarely gets replaced start getting rare as hen's teeth.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:04 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default new versus old

[QUOTE=Crazy;19704531]I've got a question about the longevity of the more modern bikes. Obviously you can make the old ones last forever, the parts are out there. But what about the electronics on the newer ones?

I'm the type of person who keeps things forever. My 2007 Street Bob is coming up on 100,000 miles. Still runs great. I know I have the ability to rebuild an engine or transmission, but what about the brain box that controls everything on these newer bikes? How likely is that brain box to fry? And if it does, and if Harley no longer sells replacements, is there such a thing as an aftermarket box?

Please, let's not get into a pissing match between advocates of old iron vs people who love the new stuff exclusively.[/QUOTE

I am of the opinion that the newer bikes with the fancy computers and such probably run a little more efficient than the older bikes. Harley offers up to a 7 year warranty and I would not buy a new or used bike without getting that warranty and after that is up I would get rid of that bike because if you do have an electrical problem it will be very expensive to repair and not many people around with the capabilities to do it. The older carbureted bikes can be repaired by almost any good mechanic or anyone for that matter. U tube covers almost any repair needed,

Old 01-31-2021, 11:49 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,521 Likes on 2,628 Posts

[QUOTE=Crazy;19704531]IHow likely is that brain box to fry? And if it does, and if Harley no longer sells replacements, is there such a thing as an aftermarket box?
/QUOTE]

FWIW try to find an aftermarket ECM for the 1st generation Magnetti Fuel injection

Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 AM
Misiak
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

My 1994 Road King still works great. Friend's 82 shovel equipped with factory ECM still on the road. Those modern ECM's can last forever

Old 01-31-2021, 12:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Misiak
My 1994 Road King still works great. Friend's 82 shovel equipped with factory ECM still on the road. Those modern ECM's can last forever
Someone can correct me if I am wrong...

An ECM (Engine Control Module) was introduced in or around 1995 when EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) replaced carbs.

Prior to that, Harleys did not have an ECM, they had an ICM (Ignition Control Module) .

The following 4 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
Campy Roadie (02-01-2021), eighteight (01-31-2021), IronAss (01-31-2021), Uncle G. (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:06 PM
Misiak
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

An ECM (Engine Control Module) was introduced in or around 1995 when EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) replaced carbs.

Prior to that, Harleys did not have an ECM, they had an ICM (Ignition Control Module) .
Every day I learn something new. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Bone Doc (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:22 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc

Yepper, electronic ignition has been around for a long long time, and there are a lot of aftermarket electronic ignitions out there. ECM? That's my question. And the newer the bike, the more the ECM does. On my '07 it controls ignition and FI. On my '12, it controls everything. Even the turn signals are controlled by the ECM.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:31 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I’ve seen posts in this forum from guys saying they can’t find an ECM for a late model Evo.

Quick Reply: Longevity