General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys in the closet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:57 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harleys in the closet?

I thouht the same thing and found out the same thing. Low mileage bikes w/ high prices. I bought mine, financed fully at 5.5% for 5 years. I figure by next spring, I will be at break even point. After that, I'm getting to ride and enjoy it and my paments will be like putting money in a savings acct. The depreciation on my bike (FXDI) between 2003 and 3004 was only $400.
I can keep it til I die and the wife will have a little extra insurance, or if I sell in 3 - 5 years, I'll be able to sell and have a nice down payment on the new bike.
And all of the time, I am getting to ride it! Art

Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread.

Just a couple random thoughts. Obviously Harley increased production, and now requires dealers to keep bikes in stock, on the floor ready for sale. But i don't think that many are just sitting in the garage. Here in central illinois, in a fairly small town on a nice weekend ride, we will see tons of harleys EVERYWHERE! maybe the locale makes a difference, but it feels a bit safer to ride here. Maybe in big cities the RUBs have gotten scared by heavy traffic, so they quit riding?

As far as used bikes, it's hard to find nice ones. I shopped around, and everything used was either a weird color, or crappy customization or just beat up. I think most people with sweet harleys hang on to them! I can't imagine selling my bike and watching someone else ride off on it!

Wally

Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
JW
Road Captain

Well I guess i found a closet harley. Just bought a 2003 anniversary ed FLHTRI had all of 1,500 miles on it. bike was all stock except for a detachable sissy bar, and some different hand grips. Ive had it 4 weeks and Ive doubled the mileage, se stage one, with some S&S SPO slip ons. next mod is probably gonna be the seat. the stock seat is horrible for prolonged touring. It's fine for an hour, but anymore than that and I'm miserable

Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

Congrats on your find JW. I hope you got a good deal on it. Wally, I'm with you as far as selling. Even my wife made the comment when we bought our Heritage "We're keeping this one, aren't we?" I hope to will my bike to my son some day (but not for a long time!).

[IMG]local://upfiles/5434/823164E9701D4666A4880D6D93E0C5AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess in my area it is like others, There are a ***** load of Harleys riding around my small town. When I bought mine at the dealers, I noticed on my salesman's wall was a plaque for Number One salesman. I mentioned it and he told me that the previous year he had sold 300 Harleys himself and he was on pace this year to sell more than that. The dealer has 4 salesman. That is one hell of alot of Harleys sold. He said they can't keep them on the floor they are walking out the door. In this area the MOCO allots bikes by past sales history. I had gone to one dealer looking to see what he had in 05 Dyna's and he said he had sold his allotment already, I would have to wait two months until the 06 came in. I went back to the dealer I eventually bought from and he only had four left and he had a bigger dealership so had a bigger allotment I found one I fell in love with and bought on the spot I was afraid it would be gone if I waited. I guess I could have ordered an 06 at that point but actually found what I was looking for - no compromise. I too don't think i will ever sell it.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim

A few years ago, HD's were selling for thousands over MSRP...
I just recently ordered my 2nd brand new H-D, an '06 Road Glide (which is on the truck as I write). And while I paid MSRP for it, I was shocked to find out that there are still many dealers (at least in Arizona) getting 2k over MSRP for the "big bikes."

I did have to pay about 2k over MSRP on my '97 Fat Boy back in Illinois. Which wasn't a bad deal at the time if you can believe it.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:52 AM
bigdawg29642000
Novice

There are alot of Harleys on the road where I live in WV. I'm in the market for a bike this winter and I don't see how I could go any other way than a new one. Most of the used ones that I see advertised are the same price or more than the new ones. I just don't see where buying used would be a good decision.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 AM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in February I found a 03 FXDL anniversary model with only 2,000 miles on it and stock. Got a good deal on it and am loving it. I think there are a lot of deals like this out there. To many people want a Harley just to say they have one. I have met a few of these people. They are nice enough and have the best of intentions. However a lot of them need to take a safety course and just learn the basics of their bike. I don't know a whole lot about Harleys. If I hadn't found this website my bike would still be stock. For me working on the bike and doing my own maintenance and upgrades is almost as good as riding. I have learned a lot about the bike. Enough so that when at the local bar listening to some people talk I know that they really don't know what they are talking about. Especially the guy with the fuel injected bike talking about rejetting his bike. If you take your time and look around there are some great deals out there.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Pocket Aces
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: jfanton

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim

A few years ago, HD's were selling for thousands over MSRP...
I just recently ordered my 2nd brand new H-D, an '06 Road Glide (which is on the truck as I write). And while I paid MSRP for it, I was shocked to find out that there are still many dealers (at least in Arizona) getting 2k over MSRP for the "big bikes."

I did have to pay about 2k over MSRP on my '97 Fat Boy back in Illinois. Which wasn't a bad deal at the time if you can believe it.
I just paid MSRP for a 2006 Road Glide in South Florida. It seems like that's the going rate down here, even though the dealer indicated that they typically get a few grand over MSRP (I don't think so - did they give me a "deal" because I'm a nice guy?).

Good luck with the new RG! My first day with her (this past Saturday) was rough as she had an idle problem, but (crossing my fingers) the second day it seemed to work itself out. I put 111 miles on this weekend - the ride is great! Enjoy your new ride!

Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My opinion,

The market is sturated with Harley's now.....and everybody thinks there bike is worth the same as a new one.

Also depends on which model you have. I have a Superglide, and if I tried to sell mine, noone would want it, becasue Superglide's seem to be the un-popular model.[&:]

So, I'll just keep what I got, and ride it, and get my money's worth!

joe

Quick Reply: Harleys in the closet?