General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't want to hear about accidents or near misses

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Don't want to hear about accidents or near misses

I've recently returned to riding after several years away. I'm older and wiser, which makes me tenetative on a bike. It takes a few miles down the road to relax and enjoy the experience. So, that being said,I would prefernot to hear about someone's bad experience in this forum - broken bones, lost appendages, death... I definetely don't want to see pictures of the mishap. I would prefer to hear only the "good." This forum is awesome. I've received a lot of assistance here. But for the sake of the newbies or returning riders like myself, make an effort to not feel compelled to relay horror stories. Honestly, it's a real joy kill.

Iknow,I know, many of you say you learn from other's experiences and I respect that. If you really want to get better, take a rider saftey class like I did.

For those of you who have lost family and friends, I do have empathy. Fortunately, I've not lost any close friends to this wonderful way of life, though a few have left some skin.

I think we're all smart enough to realize that motorcycling can be dangerous, I just don't want to be reminded of it...

P.S. This post is not my intent to **** anyone off. It's just my opinion (hope), and we all know what opinions are... lol

Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Don't want to hear about accidents or near misses

My attitude on these things are....I don't open threads that don't interest me. Personally, I'm interested in accident stories since I might be able to learn from someone else's mistake.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dying is a part of life. The part at the end, yea..but it's all a part of it, and it's a reality. No reason to get all up in arms over someone posting a story about an accident. You'd really trip if you saw that post with the pictures of the crotch rocket rider with his head stuck through the back door of a semi trailer and it dragged him for a couple miles.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well TonyP, if you dont like what your reading turn the page.

For me I like the support and feedback that I give/get from my forum brothers and sisters.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 AM
japel
Tourer

I'd have to agree. Another reason other than this forum for help is to vent. Sometimes especially when you have an accident or a near miss ya just gotta vent to somebody who understands, and what better place to do so than here. Welcome back to the scene though, happy & safe riding.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 AM
UltraPassenger
Road Captain

I too am a recent returnee (is that a word?) to the wonderful world of riding by yourself. While the horror storiesbreak my heart, and I feel for those that were hurt or worse, I do read most of the post to see if I can learn anything from what happened. If the title looks to morbid I tend to skip it and read others. I do love the "I had a wonderful ride today" stories. They are uplifting.

....now the guy with his head stuck in the semi's rear door.....is a whole 'nuther story..... [:'(]

Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master

I took a rider safety class. I highly recommend it to all new and returning riders.
However, that's not where the learning stops.
The fact youhavetaken the course and are still nervous when starting your rides should tell you that the class is not the end of your riding education.
Many riders have learned a lot by reading posts from other riders describing their accidents.
If it helps some avoid the same situation...the post is worth existing.

As mentioned here already: you have the option of just not reading the post.
Most accident threads are titled in a manner that lets you know what the thread is about.

Also, don't ignore the fact that the posts are NOT only learning tools for other riders but part of the healing process for the injured rider. It allows their brothers/sisters on this forum to help encourage them, lift their spirits, suggest ways to avoid commiting the same error in the future, and even how to quickly and cheaply repair the damaged motorcycle if it's not totaled.

I respect your opinion about those types of threads, but I think your only cheating yourself if you choose to not learn from them.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 AM
BERRYP
Tourer

I think no matter how long you have been riding or how old you are. You still need hear things like this to
bring you back down to earth. We all know that this could happen to anyone of us at any time bur it also helps to vent a little.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep yep,,,,hear that,,,there are a lotta threads I skip over.....

Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

This forum is not only a source of good information it is also a support group for people to come and get support from other riders. After a bad experience people want to come here to get help and support from their friends. That is what it is all about. You want them to stop that just so you don't have to look at it? What about the people who's life is being affected? Don't you think they would need our help? Shouldn't we WANT to try to help them?
Pretty selfish of you to ask that of people wouldn't you think? I certainly would.

Quick Reply: Don't want to hear about accidents or near misses