General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon, Something else to look out for

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon, Something else to look out for

"Seems there is some obscure law in tennessee that says you must either have a windshield, helmet with visor, or glasses, when riding."

Not so obscure, Arizona has the same law. What I find amazing is a law had to be passed to enforce common sense. Riding w/o eye protection is unimaginable to me, although I agree ticketing for opening the visor at a snails pace is pushing the intent of the law.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:10 PM
sarge189
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an LEO in Florida. We have the same type of statute dealing with vision protection. Would I have stopped the motorcyclist, yes.More than likely I wouldhave issued a warning citation. My real concern is the circumstances leading to the traffic stop. Deal's Gap is famous for the number of curves along the 11-mile stretch. Being a weekend, I'm sure the traffic was heavy as indicated by Pyscho. Even at a slow speed, any type of foreign object coming into contact with the rider's eye could cause a momentary loss of vision. In heavy traffic on a winding roadway, the results could be disasterous. Vision protection is a serious issue when operating a motorcycle. While you might not deem the action taken by the LEO appropriate,it is a safety issue.Just my take on it.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
scremineaglesoftail0
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that law is in almost every state i know during bike events in sc and fl the leos check for the samthing as far as on the dragon tn has alocated $60,000 for leos to moniter us129 and write tickets due to themost recent accidents and deaths there recently

Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 PM
robrm250
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then they need to retire if they have a gut full and are going to harrass people,I could not imagine as hot as it has been to ride a the dragon at the legal speed or slower with a full face helmet 100 degree heat and not flipping my sheild up.
ORIGINAL: ironxl

There's plenty of LEOs around that area that probably don't see any difference between bikers and squids. They see enough squids there to have a gut full.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

As said above, Georgia has the same eye protection requirement. I wear a full-face helmet and there are time when you just have to put the visor up. I wear sunglasses under the helmet to still meet the requirements. Plus I have a windshield. I hope I covered all my bases (or eyes). I think a warning would have been appropriate.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
carltex
Road Warrior

Wife is from Ohio and think I read on the BMV site that you have to have something covering your eyes, windshield, visor, or glasses.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:44 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I think most, if not all, states require eye protection. Now I have another reason for not wanting to wear a full face helmet.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

Seems there is some obscure law in tennessee that says you must either have a windshield, helmet with visor, or glasses, when riding.
We have the same law here in California.

It's not Bullshit, it's common sense

Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Same law in Michigan, must have eye protection on at all times while bike is in motion.

Its not simply about money, I honestly believe that the state wants to crack down on the idiots that ride the Dragon in an unsafe manner. If they give out tickets, some of those fools won't be back, others simply won't go, and those that want to ride at speed limits, and truely enjoy the ride, and scenery, will still go.

I rode it in July, and there were lots of LEO's on the road, I didn't have any problems whatsoever, and most of the LEO's that were not busy writing a ticket, actually waved and smiled.

Far too many people on the Dragon, racing and pushing the limits. If we as a motorcycling community ( this includes ALL bikes and styles) won't police ourselves, then the LEO's will do it for us. The laws are in place, and they firmly believe that the sportbike racing and passing in blind turn no-passing zones must stop in order to save lives. Far too many complaints by not onlyother bikers, but by those in cars too.

While I was down there, one News article about a recent death (the week prior) noted the increased LEO presence. They asked a few riders how they felt about it, Most Harley and cruiser riders were understanding about it, even if they didn't like it, they agreed that its time to stop the deaths on that road, but one Sportbike rider really sticks out. His response? "We won't be back to the Dragon. We have ridden here for a long time, but its no fun getting tickets all day long, so we will find a new place to ride" I say, Obey the law, and you won't get a ticket. Pretty simple to me.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
Agreed bro.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon, Something else to look out for