General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain and cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 04:29 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
I am amazed at the people who will ride in rain in the low 40's and upper 30's. Good for them. I'm too old for that.
I use to love riding in rain, and cold.
Last time I did it was two years ago. It resulted in me spending two weeks in a Hospital bed and I'm probably never going to fully recover from my injuries.
I don't intentionally ride in the rain anymore.
I will still ride when it's cold but only if I am absolutely positive the roads are dry.

The following 3 users liked this post by IronAss:
Mongo1958 (12-27-2021), panz4ever (12-22-2021), Ron750 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 05:49 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,421 Likes on 10,719 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I use to love riding in rain, and cold.
Last time I did it was two years ago. It resulted in me spending two weeks in a Hospital bed and I'm probably never going to fully recover from my injuries.
I don't intentionally ride in the rain anymore.
I will still ride when it's cold but only if I am absolutely positive the roads are dry.
The last few posts, particularly IAs above, it reminded me of the iconic biker friend YEARS ago who taught me the biker ways when I started riding.

He said, it is not advisable to start out in the rain. Unless you are starting a planned ride or are already on a ride. I always stuck to that. Makes sense.

The following 2 users liked this post by BuzzCap7:
Clammy (12-22-2021), Mongo1958 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,790 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
The last few posts, particularly IAs above, it reminded me of the iconic biker friend YEARS ago who taught me the biker ways when I started riding.

He said, it is not advisable to start out in the rain. Unless you are starting a planned ride or are already on a ride. I always stuck to that. Makes sense.

Agreed. I don't go for a pleasure putt if it's raining, but if I'm leaving on a trip, or already on the road, I'm in the wet without hesitation. I have top quality rain gear, so I don't get wet, even after hours in a downpour. I DO go for pleasure putts when it's cold, often, but I have the gear to make it comfortable, and enjoyable.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Clammy:
BuzzCap7 (12-22-2021), NoRegerts (12-28-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:40 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

I seldom leave the house if it's real nasty out, as long as I have the gear for the weather, I'll probably drive the motorcycle in it.

Looks rough for a couple of days.....I am off work until January the 3rd, 2022.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:20 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,516 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Now if you only had real scenery to ride in besides the concrete jungle, lol!
Originally Posted by slw210
I seldom leave the house if it's real nasty out, as long as I have the gear for the weather, I'll probably drive the motorcycle in it.

Looks rough for a couple of days.....I am off work until January the 3rd, 2022.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:30 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 757 Posts

"LISTEN FOR THE RUMBLE"
He fought in World War II when he was a young man. This morning he waits for us.
He rests now, covered by the flag he loved and defended. And he waits for us.
He endured much and was glad to do so. He wanted you and I to grow up as carefree, happy kids. He wanted us to be safe and secure. He waits for us.
His family requested that Patriot Guard Riders be with him on this day but.........look at the weather. Rain. Hard rain. Storms. Severe storms. Will the Riders be there? Will they endure the rain and the wind? Will they ride in this storm? He is waiting for us.
We are Patriot Guard Riders. We didn't sign up to honor Heroes only on perfect Sunday afternoons. After all he did for us we simply cannot abandon him now. Some will arrive by car or truck, others will ride motorcycles, however we get there we WILL get there because he fought for us and now...........he waits for us.
So when you see us standing in this storm holding the same flag that covers him............don't laugh at us. Don't say that we're crazy.....we're not. We're just determined to say thank you to a Hero and this is how we do it.
We are Patriot Guard Riders and I believe he died knowing that we would be there come hell..........or high water.
"Listen for the Rumble."
copied from another source - original author unknown

Old 12-22-2021, 07:57 PM
31scout
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw a guy riding on the interstate this morning, it was 32 degrees and there were wet roads in scattered areas. I don't like to chance that combination.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:01 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,234 Likes on 3,372 Posts

We had a few days last week in the mid 60's. I was tempted to go out for a ride but drivers in NJ,NY area are bad enough during riding seas. This time of year they just dont expect to see bikes out so its even worse.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 09:50 AM
ahhlou
Road Captain
Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

I used to ride in the 20's as long as there was no ice when I was young. Um, I haven't been young for a long time...

Old 12-24-2021, 09:56 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,421 Likes on 10,719 Posts

Originally Posted by ahhlou
I used to ride in the 20's as long as there was no ice when I was young. Um, I haven't been young for a long time...
20's??????????? No way........... Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooowwwww................... ..

40's the colded for me. Road once in the 30's..........not fun!!! Had to put my hands down by the engine alternatively to keep them warm.

Get this ahhlou my friend, the heated grips is only good for the INSIDE of my hands. The outside was of my hands were FREEZING! I think I had gauntlets sa I recall. AND thin gloves on the inside. Oy! YOU sir are a better man than me.

Even if I had all the RIGHT gear, I don't think THAT would be fun. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........................

Quick Reply: Rain and cold