General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:33 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,709 Likes on 5,219 Posts

No denying some tires have softer compounds some have harder compounds they will grip differently. Can you mix tires of course done all the time. It is one of those things you need to know what you are getting into.
Due to issues that can come up it is not recommend. So if you want to do it go for it. No one will stop you.
Not going to get into the topic here but I run 3 different tires at the same time.
Car tire bike rear, Car tire sidecar and Dunlop Elite on the front.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:45 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,332 Likes on 5,686 Posts

Ironically I posted in this thread earlier that I have run mixed tires without issue in the past but yesterday I took ownership of a Honda Rebel that has a Dunlop on the rear and a Shinko on the front.
I took the bike out for a shakedown ride and started pushing it around in the corners a little. I noticed the bike does seem to need a fair amount of input to keep it holding a line when cornering hard.
Maybe it’s because it’s such a small bike, it weighs 340 pounds, or it may be due to the mismatched tires. It could also be the age of the tires. They are not dry rotted but they are 5 and 6 years old and both seem kind of hard.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:13 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,394 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Ironically I posted in this thread earlier that I have run mixed tires without issue in the past but yesterday I took ownership of a Honda Rebel that has a Dunlop on the rear and a Shinko on the front.
I took the bike out for a shakedown ride and started pushing it around in the corners a little. I noticed the bike does seem to need a fair amount of input to keep it holding a line when cornering hard.
Maybe it’s because it’s such a small bike, it weighs 340 pounds, or it may be due to the mismatched tires. It could also be the age of the tires. They are not dry rotted but they are 5 and 6 years old and both seem kind of hard.
It seems like I remember something about handling abnormalities with Shinkos even if they are a matched set. I never tried them myself

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:37 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,332 Likes on 5,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
It seems like I remember something about handling abnormalities with Shinkos even if they are a matched set. I never tried them myself
The Shinko on this bike is one of those narrow, straight tread designs. The tread is literally straight grooves in the tire. Im sure it’s one of those $40 Amazon tires.
I ran a set of Shinko touring tires on my Road King and other than only lasting 6000 miles they were a fine tire. No handling issues at all but they did wear out pretty quickly.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:00 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,669 Likes on 952 Posts

Most of the time makes no difference, make sure they are the right size. Myself I run matched sets.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:39 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 1,742 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Somehow I picture you ordering tires from a machine similar to Coca Cola Freestyle

you enjoy being a *** do you? if you dont want to talk about this then just dont click on the thread. no need to stop in and be an *** if you got nothing to add other than a smartass answer

Old 03-06-2022, 02:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
really? Can you please explain?
Well, on grooved pavement, the front tracked differently. They also handled water differently. These are things I noticed after the swap riding the same roads.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:52 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,394 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by IBE
you enjoy being a *** do you? if you dont want to talk about this then just dont click on the thread. no need to stop in and be an *** if you got nothing to add other than a smartass answer
It’s not being an ***. It’s telling a joke. With the world being as messed up as it is, I thought people could use a laugh. Some of the misery in the world is caused by people being wound up too tight.

You are never going to get a tire manufacturer or a shop to commit to any combination of any tire is 100% fine 100% of the time. As most people that have posted indicated, you are probably fine mixing and matching most of the time, but there is that one time that it is not a good combination and the results might be a minor annoyance but there is that slim chance of the results being disastrous. I happen to be of the mindset that you should avoid mixing and matching if you can but if you are in a pinch like you need a new tire for whatever reason while you are out riding, then mixing and matching is fine, and just try to get the same tire type.

‘I have noticed my bike handles better when I have matched tires, it when they are mismatched it isn’t bad, just different. The most common non matching tire combination I have had is a Dunlop (I forgot what kind) on the front and a Metzeler (I forgot what kind) on the rear. I didn’t want to that but there was a big nail in the rear tire each time it happened and a Metzeler was the only thing they had in stock.

What I do absolutely disagree with is using a car tire on a motorcycle but people do it. Every once in a while somebody talks about putting a back tire on the front or vice versa. I think that is stupid as well. When doing that, putting a back tire on the front is worse than putting a front tire in the rear. But that’s like saying a **** sandwich is better on white bread than it is on wheat.

The following users liked this post:
IBE (03-06-2022)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:16 PM
Zeke361
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Put Them On

Originally Posted by IBE
ok the thread on HDF is all personal opion. didnt have time to listen to the vid yet. i dont see any reason you cant have different tires front and rear. reading the remarks on the video seems to be about the same. even to the point that some bikes are sold with different radials on rear and bias ply on the front
Hey Seasoned you posted a question and by the tone of it you really didn't want an answer you just wanted attention. After folks spent their time leaving a response you metaphorically slapped everyone in the face by saying you didn't even watch a video member posted to help answer your question. Don't dick people around by being a dick.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:34 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,074 Likes on 6,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke361
Hey Seasoned you posted a question and by the tone of it you really didn't want an answer you just wanted attention. After folks spent their time leaving a response you metaphorically slapped everyone in the face by saying you didn't even watch a video member posted to help answer your question. Don't dick people around by being a dick.
Seeing that the thread is two years old I'm sure everything has been worked out by now.