General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a Tune Map for your Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 05:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,828 Likes on 6,917 Posts
Default Building a Tune Map for your Harley

I have been looking at after market tuners like Power Vision for my 2017 CVO Limited with Stage III kit. It is currently all HD with a SE tuner.

Here’s where it gets interesting and the reason for this thread. I was told something yesterday I’ve never heard before. Would like to know if others have done this and opinions in general.

I was at a local Indy that I have known for about 15 years. His parents owned a dealership years ago and he’s been around bikes all his life. He did work for me way back on a 2008 FLHX which was all very good.

So we were talking tuners and he said “Why don’t I just let him build me a tune”?

He shared that he has been building tunes for several years now. He has a Technoresearch product that costs about $9k that allows him to build a custom tune and load it right into my ECM without buying a piggy back device.

They tap into my head pipe and install bungs that allow them to run wide band O2 sensors. Then they ride the bike in all conditions for about an hour. Then they build a map based on the parameters found.

What really surprised me, even though this is not a concern at this point is that he says a dealer cannot even detect the tune.

Total cost is $450.00.

It sounds a lot like a Dyno tune without a Dyno and bypassing a add on tuner.

I would love to hear opinions and comments regarding this.

Thank you

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 09-23-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:44 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,689 Likes on 2,616 Posts

🍿

Old 09-23-2022, 06:59 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,675 Likes on 3,232 Posts

I really doubt his claim that a dealer cannot detect his retune.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:58 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I would let someone put it on dyno that I trust,don’t believe he will do as good as a dyno tune on the bike.
Now several years ago a guy local to me said he could put it on a dyno and Harley dealer could find tune after he did it.
Don’t know if that is true or not.
But I don’t really worry about warranty,I will always put my bike on dyno and get it tuned.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (09-24-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 09:05 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

To fully optimize the motorcycle I would put it on the drum especially if you’re paying the money, this way you know the tune is correct. If you can get the right guy to tune it for you but your trust.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:42 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

Even if there was no tell tail electronic marker there was a non factory tune looking at the timing and air fuel tables would alert a HD tech the bike had a tune.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:37 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by NODYNA
Even if there was no tell tail electronic marker there was a non factory tune looking at the timing and air fuel tables would alert a HD tech the bike had a tune.
And the wide band sensors would be a giveaway as well.

If the guy is really good maybe he could get it close and almost certainly better than stock, but put it on a dyno and you'll know it's right in all areas.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:37 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,511 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Having done it both ways with most all devices, I can say street tuning is better than no tuning, and dyno tuning covers more of the map.
Techno Research Direct Link tuner (using wide bands) works exactly like any other flash tuner device (using wide bands). Capture/record O2 data @ the exhaust, compare the AFR requested @ all recorded cells with that data, and adjust the VE tables accordingly. Measure, compare, adjust, until the AFR measured = AFR desired (within a few percent). I use TTS green VCI, as it allows me to record factory narrowband and aftermarket wideband at the same time.
Street tuning results in data that covers some of the map. This is road tuning. Blue cells indicate closed loop, and XXX cells indicate open loop.

Dyno tuning covers most of the map.

And Digital Tech reports last flash & ECM contents to HD corp any time it's hooked up. Nothing is invisible...

Last edited by rigidthumper; 09-24-2022 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rigidthumper:
Cosmic Razorback (09-24-2022), pgrchaplain (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 09:34 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,477 Likes on 3,900 Posts

2 years ago , when I had my cams done , I had the direct link ( Techno Reasearch ) dyno tune done , had to purchase a license from HD to have it done , put the bike on the dyno . This program adds the map directly to your ecm , no tuner involved ( Power Vision , FP3-4 etc ) , bike runs amazing , no issues at all since the day I picked it up , worth every penny .

This sounds pretty much like what he is offering you , possibly just has maps already done for certain set ups .

Old 09-24-2022, 09:47 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,828 Likes on 6,917 Posts

Thanks for all the replies so far. Good information.

I want to be clear on a couple of points.

I am not worried about warranty myself. However I really found it questionable that it could be undetected.

As for the wide band sensors they are only used during the ride / tuning process. They are then removed and you continue with your stock O2 sensors.

The thing I was having trouble wrapping my head around was not buying or using a tuner like Power Vision as an example. Even if you Dyno tune on a drum don’t you usually use a tuner?

Thanks

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 09-24-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Building a Tune Map for your Harley