General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It’s been a LONG time…

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 07:08 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Default It’s been a LONG time…

Well. My ‘profile page’ says I’ve not logged-on to the Forum since 2019.

I’m unsure if I should be logging-in & posting now, but I’m kinda trying to see if I can get some motivation. I used to be on The Forum a LOT…but it’s (obviously) been a while. I’m going to assume some of the ‘old crew’ is still around and may remember me. I don’t really expect anyone to remember my U/N, but some might remember my bike - I’ll add a pic of it at the end…

Anyway. A brief update. In December of 2015 I experienced a brain aneurysm and since then have not really done anything motorcycle related. The effect of my injury left me with some issues that make me question balance & my reaction time, so I haven’t felt comfortable getting on the bike - aside from a yearly 2-mile ride to get my State Inspection done to keep the plates legal & maybe a quick run thru the subdivision.
The other problem I’ve had is my ability to recall/remember ‘how stuff works’ & details of certain systems.
- For all intents & purposes…when I look at stuff on my bike that I did myself, it basically looks ‘foreign’ to me…and as of someone else did it. Which is frustrating when there are lots of ‘custom’ items that only I knew.

Anyway. Enough of that nonsense.

I finally took the bike out for a trial run of about 20-miles yesterday…then went out for a 2-up ride with Wifey on back for about 40-miles. It was nice to get back on two wheels. Kinda stressful. But nice.

Now. The problems.

From the extended time the bike has sat, some maintenance stuff needs to be done. Fork seals are leaking. Shocks (rear, custom air-ride) aren’t holding air…and couple little basic things, like fluid changes, are probably necessary.

Im trying to decide if I want to jump back in and try tearing this thing apart…or if I want to find a shop to do it.
Part of me just wants to ‘drop it off somewhere’ and pick it up ready to ride, but it’ll make me sad to let someone else wrench on he bike that only I have ever worked on.

The other option, I guess, is to just sell the bike. And find something newer that will require less upkeep.
- The idea of doing that sucks…because there is a LOT of custom work done to the bike I have.

Dunno. Thoughts?

The following 4 users liked this post by Jumpman:
attaboy15 (09-25-2022), johndoe297 (09-25-2022), s-glide76 (09-25-2022), Spartanden (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:24 AM
oldtoad
Tourer

Received 231 Likes on 121 Posts

Ask your wife what she thinks. Her opinion will as good as any that you'll find here.

Last edited by oldtoad; 09-25-2022 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Reindeer (09-28-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:28 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,251 Likes on 6,010 Posts

Don't know what to say. this is your decision. Maybe try tinkering with something and see how your mechanical skill set is. Don't feel bad if you have to take it to a shop. If you really want to ride, you're doing the right thing....starting slowly.
Good luck to what your final decisions are. Hope for the best for you!!

Old 09-25-2022, 07:32 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,823 Likes on 18,577 Posts

That's a nice lookin' scooter ... Welcome back

Old 09-25-2022, 08:14 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,477 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Beautiful bike you have there , I think it would be worth taking it in and having the dealer go over it , make it road worthy once again , really looks like you put a lot of love in it .

Hope everything goes very well for you !

Old 09-25-2022, 08:22 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Welcome back, enjoy the ride! I would take it to an independent shop and let them give it the once over.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:34 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,375 Likes on 2,624 Posts

Welcome back, must have been difficult experiencing what you did. I would also suggest getting new tires if it has sat since 2015. I'm sure the tires date to before you put it up, so wouldnt be surprised if they're pushing 10+years old.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpman (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 08:35 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I'd suggest having the rear OEM (air) shocks upgraded with a pair of adjustable shocks.
(All of my OEM air shocks then to lose PSI after a while).

If your local dealer will do the work I'd go with them especially if you want your bike repaired with as little downtime as possible.
I has been my (and others) experience that while there are may good "indy" shops that may be less expensive they also tend to be slower (Probably due to work load and less manpower).

Good luck and glad that you're "back-in-the-saddle"!

Old 09-25-2022, 08:55 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I'd suggest having the rear OEM (air) shocks upgraded with a pair of adjustable shocks.
(All of my OEM air shocks then to lose PSI after a while).

If your local dealer will do the work I'd go with them especially if you want your bike repaired with as little downtime as possible.
I has been my (and others) experience that while there are may good "indy" shops that may be less expensive they also tend to be slower (Probably due to work load and less manpower).

Good luck and glad that you're "back-in-the-saddle"!

The OEM shocks were swapped years ago for a full air-ride system with a compressor & all the solenoids to do ‘fast-up’ & down. I’m kinda think that the issue I’m seeing is related to a loose line/fitting…but have already done some looking on The Googles for an updated version of a replacement shock. Might do the Dirty Air shocks with a more reasonable max/min extension. Dunno. May call them tomorrow.

As to the comments about finding a shop…dunno if I want an independent or the Dealer. Gotta decide.

I’m sorta looking at some used Street/Road/Electra Glides. Having a bike I can ‘ride now’ sounds like a good idea…then I can put the Road King up on my lift and try to do the work myself without any pressure of ‘time’.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:33 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,015 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Wish you well. I know the effects of that can make things dicey. My mother had two leaks and surgeries. She couldn't drive after that and vision was impacted.
Only you can gauge that.
God luck!

Quick Reply: It’s been a LONG time…