General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can California M8 bikes be tuned by Power Vision?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 12:27 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Can California M8 bikes be tuned by Power Vision?

Hi. Are California spec Milwaukee 8 computers tunable by the Power Vision?

I live in Arizona, but am considering buying a bike in California. Likely, California spec emissions on the bikes Im looking at. As Arizona is a free state, I can do as I wish and want to build the bike after warranty is up.

Are Califonia M8 computers nerfed?

Old 10-08-2022, 02:40 PM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

The cali bike is not blocked from being tuned yet

Old 10-08-2022, 03:03 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Awesome, good to know.

Old 10-08-2022, 03:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,465 Posts

why don't you call fuelmoto and ask if there is anything that might be lurking that you wouldn't necessarily be aware of? i know they can't ship pv to cali, but since you live in az, that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:15 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
why don't you call fuelmoto and ask if there is anything that might be lurking that you wouldn't necessarily be aware of? i know they can't ship pv to cali, but since you live in az, that shouldn't be an issue.
hmmm, Ive got a PV already through FM. Just need to buy an unlock code. Ill give em a call.

The following users liked this post:
skratch (10-08-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:19 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

California bikes and 49 state bikes have the same mapping and meet the exact same exhaust emission standards. The only difference is that the California bikes have a fuel evap cannister. So yes, you can put any tuner in that bike.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,465 Posts

You might want to tell that to the folks in ca who have purchased stage 2 kits and are waiting to get them installed because he doesn’t have a ca compliant map for the sepst yet.

willcasp (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:50 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
You might want to tell that to the folks in ca who have purchased stage 2 kits and are waiting to get them installed because he doesn’t have a ca compliant map for the sepst yet.

That sounds a bit strange. I did the SE stage 2 with SEPST on my 2018 Heritage 114 when I bought it new in CA in 2018, There was no CA compliant tune issues for a stage 2 then or since that I have heard of. Plenty of members here have them as well as stage 3 and stage 4 builds with SE tunes in CA.....all are CARB approved from what I know. Dealers are not messing with risking fines these days.

As for Powervision or FP3, they work just fine on CA bikes.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:07 AM
willcasp
Club Member
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
That sounds a bit strange. I did the SE stage 2 with SEPST on my 2018 Heritage 114 when I bought it new in CA in 2018, There was no CA compliant tune issues for a stage 2 then or since that I have heard of. Plenty of members here have them as well as stage 3 and stage 4 builds with SE tunes in CA.....all are CARB approved from what I know. Dealers are not messing with risking fines these days.

As for Powervision or FP3, they work just fine on CA bikes.
I have a 2022 Fat Boy. I live in WA. I purchased the motorcycle in WA. It has a California VIN.

There are ABSOLUTELY issues with upgrading the ECU on Californa VIN motorcycles.
Screaming Eagle requires a separate turning device for California VINs. The tunes are still not available from SE for 2022 models with CA VINs. I believe there are still issues with getting tunes for 2021 models. This is important as you can only use a SE tune and still keep the warranty on your powertrain.
When I spoke with the Powervision folks, they only had issues shipping a tune to a California address, and/or a California based credit card.
I went the Powervision route to get my 131 Stage IV operational on my 2022. This voided the factory warranty on my power train. Yes, this is still permissible after all the hubub around HD, warranties, and the FTC.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:17 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by willcasp
I have a 2022 Fat Boy. I live in WA. I purchased the motorcycle in WA. It has a California VIN.

There are ABSOLUTELY issues with upgrading the ECU on Californa VIN motorcycles.
Screaming Eagle requires a separate turning device for California VINs. The tunes are still not available from SE for 2022 models with CA VINs. I believe there are still issues with getting tunes for 2021 models. This is important as you can only use a SE tune and still keep the warranty on your powertrain.
When I spoke with the Powervision folks, they only had issues shipping a tune to a California address, and/or a California based credit card.
I went the Powervision route to get my 131 Stage IV operational on my 2022. This voided the factory warranty on my power train. Yes, this is still permissible after all the hubub around HD, warranties, and the FTC.
Sorry to hear that and thanks for correcting. Wonder what’s different with the ‘21 or ‘22 models that the approved tunes for the ‘18 -‘20 models won’t work. OP didn’t specify what year bike he was looking at, but good to cover the bases.

So the FTC ruling based on the MM act against HD voiding warranty isn’t sticking?

OP question/answer though is still…yes PowerVision will work with a CA bike.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-13-2022 at 01:43 PM.
willcasp (10-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Can California M8 bikes be tuned by Power Vision?