General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
bragz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on warranty

Im sure the answer is no but I figured I'd ask anyways. Im still looking ot buy my first harley and Im battling between doing a private party purchase and a dealer purchase. Basically private party will save me a few thousand but dealer I can get the warranty which I hear is a must for Harleys. First off are harleys really breaking down all the time like Im told? And second if I buy a 2000 Harley from a private party, Have it inspected and such at the harley shop, is a extended warranty purchasable even tho I didnt buy it there? Any advice and/or suggestions appreciated. Just want my first Harley purchase to be a good one and cant afford new atm. THX

Old 11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question on warranty

ORIGINAL: bragz

Im sure the answer is no but I figured I'd ask anyways. Im still looking ot buy my first harley and Im battling between doing a private party purchase and a dealer purchase. Basically private party will save me a few thousand but dealer I can get the warranty which I hear is a must for Harleys. First off are harleys really breaking down all the time like Im told? And second if I buy a 2000 Harley from a private party, Have it inspected and such at the harley shop, is a extended warranty purchasable even tho I didnt buy it there? Any advice and/or suggestions appreciated. Just want my first Harley purchase to be a good one and cant afford new atm. THX
No, Harleys are not breaking down all the time. Whoever told you that is full of crap. What you need to do is weigh the options. You didn't say how much the 2000 model costs, but around here, 2000 models aren't a lot cheaper than new ones. If you are financing, you can usually save the entire difference in cost because the interest rate is usually cheaper on a new purchase. Plus, yes, you get the warranty. With a new bike, you get to pick out anything you want. Every mile from 0 is a mile you rode it and you know how every scratch, dent or ding happened. If you are paying cash, have some extra money in the bank, are handy with a wrench and getting some good accessories, then buying used is a good idea. If something goes wrong, it's usually something small, and if not, you have some cash to pay for repairs. If you are financing, can't work on your own bike and cash is tight, then buy a new bike. It's not a lot different than buying a car... just use common sense.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the person you buying the bike from if they purchase the extended warranty.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talk to my friend and he purchase a used bike a couple of years ago 1998 and he went through this company here's the link http://www.warrantystop.com/cycle/.

Gook Luck

Old 11-15-2005, 02:44 PM
mutha
Road Captain

if it is a 2000 there extended warranty would most likely be up by now so i doubt you will get a warranty on a 5 or 6 year old bike

Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 PM
bragz
Advanced

Thanks for all the info!
Basically Im looking at a 2000 Fatboy for about 12000ish. Know the guy so might cut me a little more off and a 1994 Softail Heritage for 9000ish 15k miles that looks sweet with lots of addons. Know both people a little and they said they took care of em and kept up on service. What yall think? Some of the dealers down here are really high on preowned asking upwards of 17k for a 2000 softail standard. One Dealer (Buddy Stubbs) has really good pricing but Havent seen anything come through in the last few weeks I want to pursue.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
mutha
Road Captain

bragz i have a buddy with a sweet 1999 fatboy stretched tank red paint job with awesome ghost flames, all stainless steel braided lines, carlinni inch and a half drag bars, polished engine( on the outside) and built to 92 or cubic inches from original 80 inch evo.......it really screams. Chrome controls, wheels, all that stuff 4 piston calipers...if you want i will try to get some pics.
I think he wants around 19k but it needs nothing!!!!!!!!!