General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H FP4 experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 02:40 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
When you elect to do an autotune it copies the current map from the bike to a new store location and you give it whatever name you like.
I must be doing something wrong when I finalize my auto tunes because I never see anything other than the stock one and the V&H canned I started with.
Done it a couple times using 2-3 tanks of gas each.

The following users liked this post:
SharkyCA (04-19-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:46 PM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkspanzer
I just ordered a fp3 for my 17 street bob and I have a question, with the auto tune setting do you just hook it up and ride it like that and it tunes on the fly while riding?
No that's not exactly how it works.
You download a canned tune and see if it works for your bike.
If your bike runs great then you are all set.
If you feel it still needs a little help then you turn on the autotune and ride the bike in as many environments as you can like interstate, twisty mountain roads, fast two lane, city riding with traffic.
Once you're done riding for the day you flash the tune to your bike.
Then do it again. They say it usually takes a couple tanks to get a good tune out of autotune.
After you've autotuned a couple times then your finished and you can remove the tuner or leave it on to read bike data.

I personally never had to autotune my SG. Runs great with the canned tune from V&H.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hecklerboy:
JINKSTER (03-20-2023), SharkyCA (05-18-2023), talkingrock (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 04:51 PM
Volkspanzer
Cruiser
Received 187 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
No that's not exactly how it works.
You download a canned tune and see if it works for your bike.
If your bike runs great then you are all set.
If you feel it still needs a little help then you turn on the autotune and ride the bike in as many environments as you can like interstate, twisty mountain roads, fast two lane, city riding with traffic.
Once you're done riding for the day you flash the tune to your bike.
Then do it again. They say it usually takes a couple tanks to get a good tune out of autotune.
After you've autotuned a couple times then your finished and you can remove the tuner or leave it on to read bike data.

I personally never had to autotune my SG. Runs great with the canned tune from V&H.
I’ll start with a canned tune then and go from there. Can’t wait to get it tomorrow.

SharkyCA (04-19-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 05:02 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,766 Likes on 2,422 Posts

If you have your phone visible during autotune runs you will see a VE table representation of RPM vs throttle position. When you have a stable point the cell will turn orange when the cell has been computed it will turn green.

If you can find the right road it should be possible to get a good proportion of the table filled in with very few miles. The shape of the green cells will look like a rugby ball.

If you are not confident in going all out for as much as possible or if you are only interested in getting a small portion tuned for pottering around then that is all you need do. I don't think there is any in game purchases for a best score! LOL.

The following 3 users liked this post by Andy from Sandy:
Hecklerboy (03-21-2023), JINKSTER (03-21-2023), SharkyCA (05-18-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:13 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 874 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks for that last entry Andy from Sandy and my order for Khrome Werks slip-ins and a FP4 was placed yesterday and will be coming in tomorrow. I should have things installed and mostly setup by Thursday.

SharkyCA (05-18-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

I had good results with auto tuning on my 2016 SGS it’s really easy to do and liked the readout function on my phone , I only wished the price hadn’t increased

SharkyCA (05-18-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 11:29 AM
bdehlin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When you plug the Digital Tech into a bike after it's been flashed with FP4, there is a notation set to the VIN, but no voided powertrain anymore. FTC Agreement with H-D states that they can no longer void warranties for using 49/50-state-approved products, the FP4 being 49-state compliant.

SharkyCA (05-18-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 12:03 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Once a non HD device is used to flash the ECM HD will know when they connect their digital Tech device. At that point you will lose your drivetrain warranty I am led to believe.
Not quite. The restriction isn't about a non-HD tuner, it's about a non-EPA-compliant tuner. Now, those used to mean the same thing, as no aftermarket tuner was EPA-compliant, so using any aftermarket tuner did result in immediately voiding the warranty on powertrain components.

The FP4 is different. It is the first aftermarket tuner that is EPA-compliant and 49-state certified. Harley cannot legally void your warranty for using an FP4.

BUT, this also means the FP4 is a very limited tuner; it can only tune Stage 1 components (intake and exhaust). It doesn't support camshafts or big bore kits or anything else. Maybe someday it will, to some degree, but as of right now it cannot be used for Stage 2 or higher.

The following 3 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
Andy from Sandy (04-19-2023), bdehlin (04-03-2023), SharkyCA (04-19-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:08 PM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 874 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Not quite. The restriction isn't about a non-HD tuner, it's about a non-EPA-compliant tuner. Now, those used to mean the same thing, as no aftermarket tuner was EPA-compliant, so using any aftermarket tuner did result in immediately voiding the warranty on powertrain components.

The FP4 is different. It is the first aftermarket tuner that is EPA-compliant and 49-state certified. Harley cannot legally void your warranty for using an FP4.

BUT, this also means the FP4 is a very limited tuner; it can only tune Stage 1 components (intake and exhaust). It doesn't support camshafts or big bore kits or anything else. Maybe someday it will, to some degree, but as of right now it cannot be used for Stage 2 or higher.
Thank you for that and while I posted that I installed Krhome Werks slip-ons and an FP4 in the 2018+ Softail forum I failed to post it here in the General Forum but yeah…I installed both products in my driveway 2 weeks ago and couldn’t be happier.

As I understand it the FP4 is EPA compliant which is why its capabilities are limited to stage 1 modifications but that said?…the cats on softail exhaust systems are in the stock mufflers (unlike touring model M8’s where the cats are in the head pipes so going the slip-on route was similar to getting full system results decibel and sound quality wise.

The V&H tech walked me through the entire installation and flashed a canned map that was Dynojet developed for V&H 3” slash cut slip-ons telling me it would be plenty close enough and that only about 10% of the folks who run off the beaten trail systems would benefit from the auto tune feature and to run 2-3 tanks through before making any decisions because he felt that canned map would work out perfectly as it’s been a popular and well received map for any slip-ons with hundreds of documented dyno runs supporting that statement. He also added the stock ECM supports +/- 12% adjustments of the fuel mapping through the stock exhaust narrow band O2 sensors which is why he advised to run 2-3 tanks through before drawing any conclusions.

2 weeks later I agree with everything he said and I watched as my range and mpg started out like 170/36mpg and slowly leaned back up to 200+/45-47 mph and the bike is running like a bear. Nothing dramatic like with stepped headers and cams but enough so that my seat of the pants dyno can detect a noticeable improvement especially during power passing situations.

Note: I wasn’t going for any dramatic performance increases. I just want more decibels (to be heard for safety reasons) and the bonus points of a cooler running engine and I got both with no loss of range/mpg’s

Old 04-03-2023, 07:14 PM
Bikes and Boards
Tourer
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
I’ve heard a lot of badness about the FP4 but I’m hearing most of that badness is straight up BS and urban myth one being that as soon as you plug it in it flags your ECM (and that part is believable) but I also hear that the stock ECM will eventually stop accepting the modified flashing and one day your bike won’t start and that’s the part I’m hearing is BS but there’s so much BS out there these days it’s hard to extrapolate any truth from it so if you own and use a V&H FP4 fuel tuner what has your experience been?

Note: I’m only looking to put on Khrome Werks slip-ons but the manufacturer recommends fuel tuning because they get rid of the cat and are so free flowing
Made it to just the first line.

Use punctuation please.

Quick Reply: V&H FP4 experiences?