General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you want waterproof boots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 10:51 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,163 Likes on 726 Posts
Default Why would you want waterproof boots?

Shopping around for boots... One common spec is waterproof membranes. Sure they claim to be breathable. From what I understand - you got to take that with a grain of salt. They can be a bit toasty in the summer from what I've read. It seems fairly difficult to find something that doesn't have some sort of waterproof membrane.

Why would you want waterproof boots anyway? For those (hopefully rare) occasions when you get caught in rain wouldn't you just don the rain boot covers/gaiters that are part of your rain gear?

I'm not looking for something special. Just some typical motorcycle riding boots. Lace-up preferable. Roughly 6" to 7". CE ratings a bonus. Something similar to this...

https://ixs.com/ixs-classic-schuh-oiled-leather-braun

I'm aware that HD has a line... I don't particularly care for garish medal medallions with Harley Davidson emblazoned on them. I'm not crazy about a bunch of buckles. I also don't care to pay the HD Brand tax if I can help it. Massive heals don't appeal. However, they did have a boot that might fit the bill - if I had to go that route. There are other brands out there... Daniel Smart, Milwaukee Leather... They all can tend to have the same medallion/branding garishness issues.

Wouldn't it be great if you could find someplace nearby where you could actually try them on?

Anyway... Am I putting too much emphasis on finding non-waterproof boots? Are the membranes not as bad as I've read? Options/selections certainly increase significantly if the non-waterproof requirement is removed.

The following users liked this post:
ThreatLevel Midnight (04-05-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:09 AM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,233 Likes on 526 Posts
Default 99 dollar boots.

Try this.

A formula that's worked for me since forever.

I have a hard and fast against laces on motorcycle foot wear. I don't even entertain that option.

Engineer boots were cool enough for my dad and I'm proud to wear them everyday 💙.

These were about a hundred bucks.

The shoe grease is another old school trick. It not only waterproofs, it keeps leather soft and supple.

These run sized large so I recommend ordering true to size and wearing thick boot sox.

The following 6 users liked this post by Ingramite:
HarleyHappy (04-05-2023), KentuckyChristian (04-02-2023), Marsikus (04-03-2023), mikefmoto (04-03-2023), RK_Classic (04-04-2023), Uncle G. (04-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 313 Likes on 181 Posts

Do you ever walk in wet grass? Ever have to step across a ditch/creek? How about puddles in parking lots etc? Lastly have you ever tried the gaitors/boot covers?

The following 7 users liked this post by piasspj:
Beast71 (04-03-2023), HarleyHappy (04-05-2023), Ingramite (04-02-2023), KentuckyChristian (04-02-2023), Marsikus (04-03-2023), MXJunky (04-03-2023), s-glide76 (04-02-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:36 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
Do you ever walk in wet grass? Ever have to step across a ditch/creek? How about puddles in parking lots etc? Lastly have you ever tried the gaitors/boot covers?
Generally... No. Wet grass, ditches and creeks are not commonly encountered when and where I ride. If they were to be encountered I would suspect that something had seriously gone awry. I generally don't have problems navigating puddles in parking lots with non-waterproof boots. Even if I got to traverse one or two on a rare occasion, most boots I've worn will come out the other side dry enough.

I don't have experience with gaiters/boot covers, but they seem like they should work well enough.

Last edited by T^2; 04-02-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,467 Posts

This is one of the dumbest qiuestions I have read in awhile. I was surprised it wasn't by a couple people I suspected.

I don't carry gators. I walk through puddles. I get off the dry pavement when I walk. I leave the house when it is not sunny,

It is spring right now, and water every where. Wearing my short mucks around.

The following 5 users liked this post by Rounders:
big-C (04-02-2023), Campy Roadie (04-03-2023), Goose_NC (04-02-2023), perki48 (04-02-2023), s-glide76 (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:45 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,333 Likes on 11,164 Posts

Sometimes it’s not raining hard enough to get off the bike to put in gaiters. And if I’m already wearing leathers, they can repel quite a bit of rain. But, the splash can really get your feet wet.

I have a pair of Bates that I’m very happy with. Waterproof, made in the US, reasonably priced.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:50 AM
KentuckyChristian
Club Member
Received 645 Likes on 194 Posts

Waterproof boots aren't hard to get.
You can find these at Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Army Surplus.
Comfortable as gym shoes. And not water proof. If ya walk in wet grass, your feet will get wet !

Old 04-02-2023, 11:51 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ingramite
Try this.

A formula that's worked for me since forever.

I have a hard and fast against laces on motorcycle foot wear. I don't even entertain that option.

Engineer boots were cool enough for my dad and I'm proud to wear them everyday 💙.

These were about a hundred bucks.

The shoe grease is another old school trick. It not only waterproofs, it keeps leather soft and supple.

These run sized large so I recommend ordering true to size and wearing thick boot sox.
Yup... I've seen the Xelement boots also. I have to wonder if they are all - Daniel Smart, Milwaukee Leather, Xelement, etc. - just rebranded boots made from the same manufacturer in Pakistan or South East Asia somewhere.

I haven't tried Engineer boots. Generally, I tend to gravitate towards lace-up boots. I generally find that they provide the best adjustability for getting them snugged up just right. However, I'm not opposed to anything and I might try a pair of the engineer boots on the next time I run across a pair.

The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
Ingramite (04-02-2023), ThreatLevel Midnight (04-05-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by KentuckyChristian
Waterproof boots aren't hard to get.
Can people read these days? Don't worry not just you.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:56 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
This is one of the dumbest qiuestions I have read in awhile. I was surprised it wasn't by a couple people I suspected.

I don't carry gators. I walk through puddles. I get off the dry pavement when I walk. I leave the house when it is not sunny,

It is spring right now, and water every where. Wearing my short mucks around.
I do all those things too. Amazing how I survived all these years without waterproof boots or mucks.

Quick Reply: Why would you want waterproof boots?