General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have been your favorite new model introductions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 09:07 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,211 Likes on 6,287 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by 470004:
Crazy (11-08-2023), downzero (11-08-2023), Halojumper (11-08-2023), MXJunky (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 09:12 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,831 Likes on 6,372 Posts

This one.
. l
. l
. l
. V

Last edited by MilsurpShooter; 11-08-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:18 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
Being a staunch supporter of air cooled motors seems to be an odd thing to hang your hat on despite the fact that w/c motors are in fact as reliable and more powerful their air cooled counterparts. But, it seems everybody has to have a hill to stand on.
We didn't win two world wars by having tanks and vehicles with the most power or the most capability. We won by having things that people with grade school educations could repair that were simple and strong.

If you want "reliable" at the expense of ease of repair, you should buy a Honda and pray that it doesn't break. If you're unlucky enough for the sophisticated design to break, you're either going to have to get a Ph.D in Japanese engineering or pay someone a fortune. Or you could get lucky and it may never break and you won't have to worry about it.

Or you can buy a simple, strong, American design and if it breaks, you fix it in your garage with a screwdriver.

Neither are necessarily better or worse, but I know what I'm choosing. And I wonder why you're here if what you wanted was to sacrifice ease of repair for "reliability" or for more performance.

It's kinda amusing to me that the Germans once had the most successful car in the history of automobiles from a simple air cooled design philosophy from the ground up, but gave it all up to make sophisticated cars that need constant maintenance or they turn into piles of junk.

At least the Japanese do sophisticated designs well; the Germans seem to just do sophistication for the sake of sophistication.

Simple, air cooled, v-twin engine designs are what Harley-Davidson is, to me. The rest need to have some other brand on them.

Last edited by downzero; 11-08-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,399 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
We didn't win two world wars by having tanks and vehicles with the most power or the most capability. We won by having things that people with grade school educations could repair that were simple and strong.

If you want "reliable" at the expense of ease of repair, you should buy a Honda and pray that it doesn't break. If you're unlucky enough for the sophisticated design to break, you're either going to have to get a Ph.D in Japanese engineering or pay someone a fortune. Or you could get lucky and it may never break and you won't have to worry about it.

Or you can buy a simple, strong, American design and if it breaks, you fix it in your garage with a screwdriver.

Neither are necessarily better or worse, but I know what I'm choosing. And I wonder why you're here if what you wanted was to sacrifice ease of repair for "reliability" or for more performance.

It's kinda amusing to me that the Germans once had the most successful car in the history of automobiles from a simple air cooled design philosophy from the ground up, but gave it all up to make sophisticated cars that need constant maintenance or they turn into piles of junk.

At least the Japanese do sophisticated designs well; the Germans seem to just do sophistication for the sake of sophistication.

Simple, air cooled, v-twin engine designs are what Harley-Davidson is, to me. The rest need to have some other brand on them.
I disagree with you because really what people want is:

1) sophistication - you see it all the time on the forums, where people salivate over the technology on other brands - "why can't harley make a modern motorcycle?" they say, look at X or Y brand - ride modes, traction control, etc etc.

2) power. I don't need to explain this. Air cooled engines top out at a certain point, and we're pretty much there. Thats why liquid cooling exists.

But all of these add complexity which means they become more difficult to repair.

Now, you may not want these things, which is fine, but you are increasingly in the minority. So for the MoCo to give you what you want, its a failing strategy. I'm sure the move to disk brakes was derided as overly complicated and more prone to breaking down, etc. Heck when they added a front brake I'm sure there were people that said "no thanks. one more thing to break"

Old 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
M8 Fat Bob, Rev Max Pan America, and (not on your list, but should be mentioned) Revelation LiveWire One.

Bought the Fat Bob instantly; made a cash offer on the LiveWire but they refused to sell it at what I would buy it for, and put a reservation down on the Pan America but a bad accident ended my ADV riding days. If that hadn't happened, I'd have a 2021 PA-S in my garage right now.

I am really surprised by the LRST's reception. Personally I don't get it -- it's just a Low Rider S, with bags and a fairing. But it seems like it's absolutely dominant, folks can't get enough of it, and it seems to have taken over most or nearly all discussion in the 2018+ Softail forum. If nothing else it's a loud screaming example to Harley about the pent-up demand for a lighter touring bike, a niche I hope they scratch with a street-only Pan Am 975 someday (or something like it).
i had myself pretty convinced a street only version of the pan am would be the next coming of the fxrt.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 925 Likes on 385 Posts

Fatboy!

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (11-10-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 01:45 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
Harley XA, based on R71. Ironically the current Ural is based on that same model.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:58 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,800 Likes on 2,727 Posts

First year of the Road King, ’94.

This is a ’95 I bought and sold last year.

Last edited by gonemad; 11-08-2023 at 01:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
MarlinSpike (11-10-2023), s-glide76 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 02:15 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 481 Likes on 305 Posts

I love the appearance of the Fat Boy. Especially the 2012-era with the chrome wheels. The other bikes that impress me are the Road King and the Heritage. They are classic styling and while very similar in appearance - are very different. Otherwise there would just be one right?

As for overall satisfaction I would have to say the 2018+ Heritage. It's just a gorgeous bike, reliable, easy to handle and has all the power you need. As you might guess, that is the bike I personally chose when looking for a comfortable 100+-miles-per-day motorcycle. The older generations are great and have awesome paint colors. But "heavy" and not so comfortable in the actual seat (JMHO). It always saddens me, however, when I see the floppy leather saddlebags LOL

Last edited by bduds65; 11-08-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:54 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Speaking just for myself here, a bike is a matter or preference and use.

I've owned two Sportsters, one Super-Glide, three Electra-Glides. one Road King, one Softail Custom, two Heritage Softail Classics and now I have one Tri-Glide (the Springer is my "local ride".
Surprisingly, even though the ONLY one that I bought "used" was the Softail Custom, it was one of the most enjoyable bikes that I've ever owned. I put many miles on it over three seasons and sold it for what I paid for it and at the time I wanted for of a "road bike" and the Heritage, while only being a "cruiser" did have the saddlebags and windshield.

Finding the "right bike" and "right fit" for you can take time.
After my wife first took her riding safety course, we bought her a Honda Shadow as her "learner bike".
After that, a Sportster Hugger and the following year a Softail Heritage Classic, which she loved!

With me being ME....I thought (and talked her into ordering a new Road King.
We (I) put a TON of money into accessories.
She rode it exactly 11 miles and go off of it and said to me "I like my Heritage better, you can have it"!
Several years later we got her ANOTER Heritage and I "dolled it up" (it was sharp) and she rode that bike until she stopped riding!

The following users liked this post:
bduds65 (11-09-2023)

Quick Reply: What have been your favorite new model introductions?