General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on adventage of bigger throttle body and manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:42 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,052 Likes on 6,981 Posts

Just add a turbo, and burn rubber!

Old 01-13-2024, 09:12 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Springs
Good catch. I don't know the answer, but I got curious and found this.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...smoothing.html
For the dyno run used in that thread, the STD numbers are roughly 2.8% higher than the SAE numbers.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:19 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 495 Posts

Always great input from the forum. Thank you for all that chimed in already. Would be great to see some additional dynos from Stage 2 mods and bigger TB and beefier injectors just to see what is possible with this combination

Old 01-13-2024, 10:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,360 Likes on 11,173 Posts

Call Fuel Moto…they’ll tell ya can be done and how.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:09 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,182 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Without doing the top end you're not going to see those numbers.
What does "doing the top-end" entail? Is it high comp heads and pistons, and are these replacement heads or can the OEs be upgraded?

I've often asked myself the OP's question, as I'm going with a 22-XE, FM Riot pipe and a bigger breather on my '22 LRS. lifters, rods, cuffs will be changed as a matter of course but I've always wondered what additional induction upgrades mods I should do - ie. TB, manifold, injectors; and which drive-side upgrades, ie. crank breather, compensator, clutch springs etc.

Tuning shops all seem to tell you something different and dealers only want to talk about SE parts. I don't want to weaken the engine or leave potential performance behind on the bench, but don't want to throw money around needlessly either.

The fact that mine's the 117 is a further confusion as I'm not sure which of the above are already upgraded on the 117 by the factory over the 114.

It's a bit of a minefield first first-time tuners.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:17 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,977 Likes on 3,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
What does "doing the top-end" entail? Is it high comp heads and pistons, and are these replacement heads or can the OEs be upgraded?

I've often asked myself the OP's question, as I'm going with a 22-XE, FM Riot pipe and a bigger breather on my '22 LRS. lifters, rods, cuffs will be changed as a matter of course but I've always wondered what additional induction upgrades mods I should do - ie. TB, manifold, injectors; and which drive-side upgrades, ie. crank breather, compensator, clutch springs etc.

Tuning shops all seem to tell you something different and dealers only want to talk about SE parts. I don't want to weaken the engine or leave potential performance behind on the bench, but don't want to throw money around needlessly either.

The fact that mine's the 117 is a further confusion as I'm not sure which of the above are already upgraded on the 117 by the factory over the 114.

It's a bit of a minefield first first-time tuners.
Top end would be heads, valves and pistons.
OP's not going to see 33 more horses with just a larger throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:13 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 756 Likes on 479 Posts

At 1:30 he said he's using E-85 to tune the bike. that helps in the numbers department.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:13 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

When comparing performance results it’s best to look at a single source or no more than a couple of different sources. No two dynos will yield identical results and if you are tuning in the north vs. a hot humid day is the south results will vary. Also in looking at results, no two bikes tune exactly the same even with the same components.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:06 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,182 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
When comparing performance results it’s best to look at a single source or no more than a couple of different sources. No two dynos will yield identical results and if you are tuning in the north vs. a hot humid day is the south results will vary. Also in looking at results, no two bikes tune exactly the same even with the same components.
This is very true. I've modded and tuned four metric bikes, three KTMs and a Ducati, and on each bike the before and after dyno runs and where needed the engine work, were done by the same tuning shop under the same conditions.
Harleys are very different in their design and power delivery but the same laws of physics apply.

And I know what it takes to add 30 bhp to an engine. I did it with my Ducati and it involved a great deal more than bolt-on parts and a reflash. I've got the (eye-watering) bills to prove it. And a laugh-out-loud fun but also highly strung and high maintenance bike at the end of it that eats starter motors, clutches, chains and sprockets and sprag clutches...

pgrchaplain (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:21 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,731 Likes on 3,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Always great input from the forum. Thank you for all that chimed in already. Would be great to see some additional dynos from Stage 2 mods and bigger TB and beefier injectors just to see what is possible with this combination
I don't think you're going to find many, because most people know that you have to go beyond Stage 2 to take advantage of a bigger throttle body/injectors

IBE (01-22-2024)

Quick Reply: School me on adventage of bigger throttle body and manifold